• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 07/06/13 - Butler's Summer-Suit Challenge

The Summer Suit Challenge - Who did it best?

• Mr. Claymore

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • James Barnes

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • timotune

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Orgetorix

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • JPHardy

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Roycru

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • southernstyle

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • mimo

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • TTO

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • those who where disqualified sympathy vote

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Butler says - 'Lets see your best summer 2 or 3 piece suit combination, what you would wear out of your home, either at work or play such as an outside event, a barbeque, reception, concert or wedding. Suit - and outfit - must be distinctly seasonal. So linen obviously counts, but so would cotton, fresco or even seersucker. So would normal tropical wool, but wearers should expect to get fewer votes than a more obviously/visibly summery material and would therefore probably need to make additional efforts to "summer up" the rest of their outfit. No tuxedos as the summer version would be with different top/bottoms. No ventilated shoes aka sandals, but sockless is accepted. Bare necks not accepted - either a tie or some foulard like set-up. Check these 2 Italian gents out as an inspiration (and an example of how I would do it.) ' TTO says 'Sorry for the delay, I've had a busy day!'​
Choose Your Champion
( changed, because a linen Norfolk jacketed three-piece is to good not to include.... )
Suit is tropical wool, shirt cotton, tie cotton/silk
DSCF0544.jpg
DSCF0545.jpg
DSCF0551.jpg
DSCF0556.jpg
Summer in Cph
6MAaqZ0.jpg
KkPoCeD.jpg
Stuff: NSM Fresco suit Finamore cotton/linen shirt Hermès cotton tie Bottega Veneta silk square EG calf belt C&J suede shoes
Suit-Linen Shirt-Linen PS-Linen Tie-Linen/Silk
I almost disqualified you Mimo, you have been allowed in as you have met the requirements of the first challenge idea, and this photo is too much fun to not include!
& finally, your proxy host...
-TTO

Last edited:

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring on the linen, bring on the seersucker, the solaro, the tropical and the fresco. It's the summer suit Challenge, & You Will Wear A Tie!
-TTO

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont has a "summer" suit. Only SC and trousers. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sucks for me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense sugar, but I don't think that's quite gonna wrap around your whole body.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you saying that I'm... fat? I expect this from :foo: but not from you. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heaven forbid! not at all, i was merely stating that a tie will not substitute for a suit, even for skinniest of of here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the 7 oz cotton summer suit, but I don't have the occasion to wear it this week.

ygW949u.jpg

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But but but it's winter! Next week. Someone give TTO a break.

I suspect your Southern Hemisphere winter is probably a damned sight better than our so called 'summer' will be on Friday!
Also, yes please!

Those others of you who have been remiss in your wardrobe preparations, could you not 'summer' up some suit or another with the judicious use of accessories?

-TTO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads