• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

G

Griffindork

That indicates you know the answer?

I know the terms on which Lorenzo has always charged me but I don't feel comfortable posting them on the internet. I don't know if there is something specific about your situation that would make those terms different, but his number one priority is to make customers happy and I'm sure that if you have a concern he will address it.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I know the terms on which Lorenzo has always charged me but I don't feel comfortable posting them on the internet. I don't know if there is something specific about your situation that would make those terms different, but his number one priority is to make customers happy and I'm sure that if you have a concern he will address it.
No problem. Understood.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stunning!

Where did you order it from?

Agreed. Great looking jacket. I bought my first Seraphin jacket a few months ago but I'll have to wait until the fall to try it out as we're in the dog days of summer right now. 38 degrees and humid.

Reaction score
In your experiences, how hard is it to schedule an appointment with Cifonelli for a bespoke suit in NYC? Do you usually just set an appointment over the phone and wallah?

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

^ just send an email to the address on the website. Lorenzo is in NYC 4-6 times a year and should be back here in the next few months.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Very excited for my first ever appointment with Cifo next month. I have decided on the Travel Jacket. Seems the most appropriate for dipping my toe in. Can't wait.

G

Griffindork

I'm curious: have you tried bespoke from other houses/tailors? If so, how do they compare in your opinion? 

To Charvet? I've tried a bunch of shirt makers: budd, napolisumisura, T&A, Hermes, Burgos, Chan, kiton and probably a few others over the past 15 years. The biggest differences in my view between charvet and the others I've used are (1) charvet works in tiny units of measure. They will make an incredibly small tweak if you want, and they view minor adjustments as important; (2) they are stylistically agnostic. Loose fit, trim fit, shorter sleeve, longer sleeve, whatever you want is ok. This can make things a little tricky if you've never been through the experience of having a shirt made before, but they are helpful and can guide you. Just be aware that if you sat "give me the house style" they will say "what do you the house style to be?". (3) the fabric bolts at vendome make fabric selection much easier and more likely to result in getting what you really want. So much easier then looking at swatches, and the fabrics are beautiful; (4) you have to want the fused material in the collar for stiffness. If you don't want a stiff collar then charvet isn't for you. And if you care a lot about hand stitching then go somewhere else. (5) it's good value for the money. I know that sounds silly at such a high price point, but when you compare it to high end rtw, it's about the same. I'd recommend if you are going to be in Paris three or four times over a six month to one year period. It will take three or four fittings to get it right.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^
Well said

That's the way it should be! For shirts or working with a tailor for clothing.

I don't have an answer for "what's your house style?" when you are creating something so individual as a custom suit

Last edited:
Reaction score
To Charvet? I've tried a bunch of shirt makers: budd, napolisumisura, T&A, Hermes, Burgos, Chan, kiton and probably a few others over the past 15 years. The biggest differences in my view between charvet and the others I've used are (1) charvet works in tiny units of measure. They will make an incredibly small tweak if you want, and they view minor adjustments as important; (2) they are stylistically agnostic. Loose fit, trim fit, shorter sleeve, longer sleeve, whatever you want is ok. This can make things a little tricky if you've never been through the experience of having a shirt made before, but they are helpful and can guide you. Just be aware that if you sat "give me the house style" they will say "what do you the house style to be?". (3) the fabric bolts at vendome make fabric selection much easier and more likely to result in getting what you really want. So much easier then looking at swatches, and the fabrics are beautiful; (4) you have to want the fused material in the collar for stiffness. If you don't want a stiff collar then charvet isn't for you. And if you care a lot about hand stitching then go somewhere else. (5) it's good value for the money. I know that sounds silly at such a high price point, but when you compare it to high end rtw, it's about the same. I'd recommend if you are going to be in Paris three or four times over a six month to one year period. It will take three or four fittings to get it right.

Their website seems to be down. Do you normally ring them up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads