• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been following this as well. How cool would it be to see Seb race at Le Mans in the 963?!! Dreams sometimes do come true!

Incidentally GTP/LMDH cars are a blast to drive on a simulator.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NGL I wanted to see races and not drama, but it was still a lot of fun watching the camera follow Max stalking all over Melbourne just fuming…

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Alonso penalty is BS. They’re inventing things now. Aero brake check? If he wasn’t close enough to Alonso to run into the back of him, then he wasn’t brake checked.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He may be a near-perfect racer, but at what cost? Pretty sad, actually. Jos built a F1 robot. The problem with perfectionism is that Max and Jos can be somewhat pleased when Max meets expectations, but it’s never possible to exceed expectations and feel true joy. And, the sport can’t accommodate perfection. Occasionally, there is human error or a brake caliper gets stuck on for reasons we don’t know. And now he hints at leaving F1 for something else. I think this is what makes the Era of Max so incredibly boring to me.
Max Verstappen's childhood was marred by trauma, much of which stemmed from his father, Jos Verstappen, who reportedly physically abused him during his early karting days.
Sauro Cesetti, a fellow driver, revealed this unsettling aspect of Verstappen's past. Despite the difficult upbringing, Verstappen has managed to achieve significant success in the sport, and he now appears to have a positive relationship with his father.
However, Cesetti's recollections shed light on a darker and more perilous side of Verstappen's journey to where he is today.
“Max grew up following his father's footsteps, but when he made mistakes, Jos reacted with kicks and punches, he was very violent with him,"
“We were in Sarno for the KZ World Championship, where Max competed in the small category, while I ran in the big category. In the final he found himself second and tried to overtake the first; however, at the time of overtaking he turned around, lost about ten positions, recovered them all but finished second in the World Championship,"
“After the race, he kept his helmet on for four hours. His father had hit him so many times that he was afraid to take him off,"
“Max, he was raised hungry, eager to do and with real blood,"
This is why, the drivers aren't taken aback by Max Verstappen's emotional aloofness and his infrequent errors during races. This is attributed to his upbringing where mistakes were reportedly met with severe and unjustifiable punishment, fostering a hyper-focused and error-averse mentality in him since his early days.

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He may be a near-perfect racer, but at what cost? Pretty sad, actually. Jos built a F1 robot. The problem with perfectionism is that Max and Jos can be somewhat pleased when Max meets expectations, but it’s never possible to exceed expectations and feel true joy. And, the sport can’t accommodate perfection. Occasionally, there is human error or a brake caliper gets stuck on for reasons we don’t know. And now he hints at leaving F1 for something else. I think this is what makes the Era of Max so incredibly boring to me.

Boring?

Where were you during the Schumacher/Hamilton/Vettel eras of dominance?

You can justifiably aim a lot of criticism at Max Verstappen, but it hasn't been boring!!!

Max is still relatively young and now has his own little family, he will tire of his interfering dad and become his own man, it's merely a matter of time.

I don't know what that will be like exactly, but I suspect he will relax into his role much like those other hyper intense multiple World Champs did.

He needs a season or two alongside Fernando Alonso at Red Bull. It would do him good to see that he doesn't really need Jos at all, Alonso would make a very good Yardstick/Mentor for him (not from a racing perspective, but how to be a man in the glare of publicity).

I'm pretty sure Fernando would learn a few things too!!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring?

You can justifiably aim a lot of criticism at Max Verstappen, but it hasn't been boring!!!

Max is still relatively young and now has his own little family, he will tire of his interfering dad and become his own man, it's merely a matter of time.

I don't know what that will be like exactly, but I suspect he will relax into his role much like those other hyper intense multiple World Champs did.

He needs a season or two alongside Fernando Alonso at Red Bull. It would do him good to see that he doesn't really need Jos at all, Alonso would make a very good Yardstick/Mentor for him (not from a racing perspective, but how to be a man in the glare of publicity).

I'm pretty sure Fernando would learn a few things too!!
At least during the Hamilton years, he was racing Nico the first 3 years, Vettel the next 2, and Max the last year. Really 2019 and 2020 were terrible because Lewis was racing noone.

For Max, 2022, 2023, and most likely 2024 are over by mid point of the season. Only exciting season Max had was 2021 when he and Lewis were neck and neck down to the last lap.

bgsmith

Reaction score
Boring?

These are my thoughts exactly, yeah Max may be a little more dominant that those guys were as their teammates won more than Perez but going back to just the Hamilton days it didn't matter where he was on the track at any given point he was almost always going to get to the front, so its not much different than with Max.

The one argument that Max has going against him is his overall unlikeableness which seems to far outpace Schumacher, Vettel or Hamilton, it seems in most cases you are either a Max fan or you hate him.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the point I was trying to make has been lost. Although, I’m not surprised that it triggered a lot of whataboutism.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least during the Hamilton years, he was racing Nico the first 3 years, Vettel the next 2, and Max the last year. Really 2019 and 2020 were terrible because Lewis was racing noone.

For Max, 2022, 2023, and most likely 2024 are over by mid point of the season. Only exciting season Max had was 2021 when he and Lewis were neck and neck down to the last lap.

I've been watching since the early '80s, Max has been consistently the most exciting driver since Ayrton Senna IMHO, granted he can be a little bit of a d*ck sometimes but so could Senna it goes with the territory of "fastest gunslinger in the West" 😎

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching since the early '80s, Max has been consistently the most exciting driver since Ayrton Senna IMHO, granted he can be a little bit of a d*ck sometimes but so could Senna it goes with the territory of "fastest gunslinger in the West" 😎
He hasn't really been too exciting the past 2 years other than if Jos is going to beat the sh1t out of a woman when Horner didn't prioritize Max. It's just been Max in the lead lap 1 turn 1 and up by 30-40 seconds by the end of the first stint.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He hasn't really been too exciting the past 2 years other than if Jos is going to beat the sh1t out of a woman when Horner didn't prioritize Max. It's just been Max in the lead lap 1 turn 1 and up by 30-40 seconds by the end of the first stint.

That's correct, but the very top drivers all have to earn that status from performing miracles in second tier cars, and then try to capitalize on that dominance for as long as possible.

That's just how the top guys operate.

It's been fun watching Max develop (unless you're a Merc fan I guess). Somebody will come along and beat him eventually, it's inevitable.

It will be interesting to see how deep he is prepared to dig when that time comes.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Max is an exciting driver, he just hasn’t been tested much recently. But take him out of the top car or give him a little adversity, and you’ll see it.

Despite his 2021 WDC being totally fraudulent, we can’t deny that he gave Hamilton a huge challenge (with the help of some questionable driver ethics) and made every race super exciting. From an inferior car.

At last year’s Miami GP, I was in the stands as he started 9th and hunted Checo down through a pack of other cars like the fvcking Terminator T-1000. It was exciting as a Jaws movie…at least until he caught and passed Checo

Schwazer

Reaction score
Senna-Schumacher.

senna-dchumacher.jpg

45f312e5be537569.jpg

michael-schumacher-and-ayrton-senna-the-duel-that-the-world-lost.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads