• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The press seem to think that RBR officially exercised their option to quit Renault.

That's really all we have to go on, no?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The press seem to think that RBR officially exercised their option to quit Renault.

That's really all we have to go on, no?

So there is no confirmed and factual status for RBR and Renault's split, which is more or less as substantive as the Merc story.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Renault has signed a LOI to purchase Lotus. Presumably they wouldn't do that unless RBR terminated their contract with Renault first.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well Renault has signed a LOI to purchase Lotus. Presumably they wouldn't do that unless RBR terminated their contract with Renault first.

I don't see what that matters. Mercedes had customers when they bought Braun, namely Macca.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everyone is saying and acting as though RBR has no contract with Renault for next year. If they hadn't severed the deal, why would they need to negotiate with Renault to get an engine for next year?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Everyone is saying and acting as though RBR has no contract with Renault for next year. If they hadn't severed the deal, why would they need to negotiate with Renault to get an engine for next year?

Wild speculation, but perhaps separation docs are on the table and they're holding off on a signature?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who knows?

Can't believe how slippery the Mexico DF track is. I'm surprised the FIA don't require them to finish the track and have a couple of races before the big boys show up.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LH had nothing for NR. Sounded like he was not down with the strategy change, though. I suspect there will be an energetic conversation with the team this afternoon.

I was very happy that the stewards took no action in the Vettel/Ricciardo and Bottas/Raikkonen incidents. Let's use these same guys for every race!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing too exciting at this race. Ferrari **** the bed and LH was clearly not happy with the tire strategy. Bottas getting Kimi to crash out was funny to get pay back for Russia.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Dull race but I really liked the venue. That baseball stadium complex is breathtaking; one of the coolest spots of any circuit.

COTA owners must be nervous about the competition.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the venue. Looks really nice and all of the grandstands are full compared to COTA where everyone bought general admission tickets only and grandstands were only 1/2 to 2/3's full.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The scuttlebutt is that Carlos Slim bought huge blocks of tickets for distribution at prices ranging from cheap to free. Austin still managed to attract 100,000 visitors despite the atrocious weather. That's a pretty solid audience for F1 if you ask me.

I thought the track was great to look at, but essentially a long straight with some mickey mouse faffing about for the rest of the lap. I thought it looked a lot like Monza from various angles. The stadium looked cool, but was just a giant chicane. Hockenheim's stadium has a similar effect without sucking totally.

Unless Bernie is actively trying to **** CoTA (and it seems he may be), they should pair Canada and Mexico midseason, then do United States and Brazil in the fall.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dull race but I really liked the venue. That baseball stadium complex is breathtaking; one of the coolest spots of any circuit.

That crowd was fantastic, best crowd I've ever seen in F1. The track was actually ok, even though it was Tilke-ized. Having low grip made it mildly interesting.

Boring ******* race. The 2 Mercs were 20 seconds up after 12 laps. They would have lapped most of the field were it not for safety cars. This unlapping bullshit has to stop. Just have them stop the ******* car and join the back of the field. So what they drive a bit less distance? Idiotic rule.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't even do that. Line up behind the safety car as they are on track and be done with it. This notion that the backmarkers are in the way is silly. The pursuing drivers would have had to pass them anyway.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't even do that. Line up behind the safety car as they are on track and be done with it. This notion that the backmarkers are in the way is silly. The pursuing drivers would have had to pass them anyway.

Yeah, even simpler. Too much deference to leaders now. 80s F1, blue flags were just a suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads