1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Seems like a complete bitch move. Doesn't want to battle it out again with Lewis?

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nobody will say he lucked out in a year when Lewis wipes the floor with him. In F1 you only need to be outperformed for a season to be relegated to 2nd driver status for your whole career.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Some guys just need a main course, others need a 5 course meal. Nico achieved his goal, and would find it hard to find motivation.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

He was never going to repeat this year's performance. Giving everything he had, he still won only because his teammate had worse luck. That's not to take anything away from him because in the end it's what's on the scoreboard. But this was as good as it was ever going to get.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. It's all conjecture.

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Exactly. Nico knows this better than anyone else, and is probably a major reason he decided to quit. Let's face it...it was basically 3-0 in favor of Hamilton so there is no reason to expect things will be different next year and beyond.

I wonder if Mercedes will go after Alonso or just go with a junior driver...interesting waiting for the outcome if the offseason.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Don't think they have a choice, nobody of merit is available any longer. Other than Max, I don't think anyone wants to be partnered with Hamilton either. Maybe for the paycheck, but otherwise.

Give Antonio Felix da Costa a 1 year deal, he just won Macau for the second time in style, completely dominating the weekend in one of the hardest races in the world.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Don't think this has been posted before but a pretty good top 10 list for 2016. The journalist does the NBCSports coverage from the race track. The Rosberg section made me think a bit: https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/ Not that it's anything I already didn't know but for some reason some points hadn't been highlighted by other journalists' reactions to Roberg's requirement.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

D Ricc at #1? I dont understand that.

This was interesting re Hamilton:

Where we heard this before?

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I don't think anyone in F1 is expecting a huge shift even with the new regulations coming up, so Mercedes is still the most desirable seat in F1. If you partner with Hamilton you basically have a 50/50 chance of becoming World Champion (like Rosberg) so some drivers might want to break their contracts for a shot at becoming WC. Of course all that might be wrong and we might see Red Bull being the best car next year, even Ferrari making a huge jump, or Mclaren surprising us, but best bet is probably Mercedes or Red Bull at the top for at least a couple more years. If I were Mercedes I would hire Alonso.

11. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

That's interesting! I think it sums up Hamilton vs Rosberg.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Well, race starts count. If a car is in front of you and you pass, it's a pass.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Maybe, but it's not the same as hunting down your teammate in the same car and making a move stick.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Passing your teammate in a pit stop isn't either. But nobody defines that as a non-pass.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did Hamilton steal your girlfriend or something? You don't even really like Rosberg, but because he beat Hamilton this year, you're defending him.

No one calls them a non-pass because they call it a change of position due to strategy. You could execute faster in- and out-laps than your teammate at every race—and be lauded for that—but no one would say that you were a great racer because of it. Race starts don't count toward racer status, either.

What is the basis of your assertion that no one would want to partner Hamilton? I mean, other than fear that they would lose to him? Only the uncertainty of the new formula would make anyone have second thoughts about racing in the second Merc car. Max and Ricciardo are likely to have a top car next year. Everyone else would still have better odds at Merc.

I would like to see Sainz take the spot. He's hit a dead end now that Max has taken the second RBR seat.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In the 2000s pit stop passing was virtually the only way to get past someone. But there are different types of great racers, Prost as an example. He was never a match for Senna's racecraft, but Senna was never a match for Prost's tactical sense across a season. As spectators we want Senna not Prost, but at the same time you can't discount a guy's strengths that deliver WDCs.

Yes exactly, I think everyone on the grid save for Max fears losing to Hamilton. The worst thing that can happen to a driver's career is getting exposed by losing to their teammate.

Indeed, Sainz is in the right situation for that seat, but no way RBR will let him go. They fear Ricc leaving for Ferrari or Merc next season. Sainz is unrealistic. I really think they should give the seat to Da Costa for a year while they flush out their options. He's a very professional racer and won't rock the boat. He hadn't touched an F3 car in a year and completely dominated the entire week. Unfortunately he was passed over for Kyvat, which was a mistake.

I used to really like Hamilton, that Brazil '08 race was one of my favorites of all time. I am disappointed at how he ended up such a douchebag.

Da Costa is the blue and green car that starts on pole:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It depends on the driver and where they are in their career. Sainz, Hulkenberg, Peres, Grosjean and Bottas, would be most interested in getting access to a top car (finally for some of them) so they can at least have a shot at winning races. There's only so much impressing you can do finishing in 5th place.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I bet they would be more afraid of getting exposed than anything. If you are beating your teammate, it means you're still in contention to move up. For example, look at Rubens, after a year with Schumacher, nobody ever rated him a WC contender again, but with Jordan he was viewed as serious candidate for future WDC.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

20. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I don't get the Jenson Button love like he's some all time great driver and people clamoring for him to come back to drive for Mercedes. The guy mailed it in for like the last 6 races this year and hasn't really done much lately. Granted his car sucked the past 2 years but so did Alonso's and he was still competitive with the midfield.