• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For casual OCBD's: Black Fleece vs. RL Rugby vs. J. Crew

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking around for some OCBD's that I can wear casually (both tucked and untucked) to school. Since I'm on a bit of a budget, I can't afford Band of Outsiders, but am looking for god alternatives. Anyway, my local Brooks apparently still has BF oxfords on sale at 50% off, which sounds great. While I've read that BF shirts aren't as slim as Thom Browne and too long to be worn untucked, I'm wondering if they would still be noticeably slimmer, better draping, or generally "nicer" than equivalent shirts from RL Rugby or J. Crew. Also, I was wondering if the Brooks store would hem my Black Fleece shirts for free when I buy them, or even if that would totally mess up their aesthetic.

For reference, here I am in some RL Rugby buttondowns (obviously not oxfords, but you get the idea):
54088a5c.jpg

E82G7414.jpg

Is it worth it to check out the Black Fleece stuff?

Thanks,
wmmk

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
black fleece button downs are not casual in the sense those shirts area and are not made to be worn untucked. the shirts are long and the placket ends before the end of the shirt.

the are casual in the sense of 'sportcoat, ocdb and jeans/dresspants'

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
with that said there's nothing wrong with black fleece, but there are some features on the shirts that I don't like: the locker loop at the back of the collar and the extra long cuffs. the fabric is nice and thick, which I demand in any oxford shirt, and they are a good price on discount.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Does the placket make it tough to hem them at all? If not, I might give them a try.

And Teger, it sounds like you've tried them on in person. Would you say they fir as slim or slimmer than the shirts I posted?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
a professional tailor could shorten them, but I don't know if it'd be worth it and how it would end up locking. one of the things that makes a shirt like band or rugby 'made' to be untucked is how short the placket is and how there aren't that many buttons, while BF has both.

I have 2 of the shirts, and I don't think they're especially slim. I have a large neck/shoulders for my height, and the shirt that fits me in that way (BB3), is very baggy in the chest, long in the arms, and just generally too big, and while a BB2 fits 'ok' (I don't button the top button), even THAT is not as slim as say, a Band of Outsiders shirt.

I think trying to get them tailored would be a waste of time. there are easier to find and cheaper brands out there.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, it's just that I live close to the Chicago Brooks, where I can currently get BF oxfords for $75. Compared to Rugby, or even J Crew, BF is neither inconvenient nor expensive. So if they're truly better shirts that just need hemming, I'd love to cop a few while they're still on discount.

If I'm 14.5-15 neck, 36 chest, 32-33 sleeve, is BB1 or even BB0 going to fit me reasonably slim without being comically short in the arms?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
the BB0 might work for you. I cannot imagine a BB1 fitting you well.

The quality and construction will be heads and shoulders above anything Rugby puts out.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for all the help. I'll head on down the Brooks on Michigan at some point tomorrow.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
idf you want something cheapedr than Black Fleece go for BB Slim Fit.

How slim is regular BB slim, though? I mean, I'm more über-scrawny than slim, really. Also, the damn logo on the chest of the solid-colored slimfit sport shirts pisses the **** out of me. Would taking a seamripper to that totally mess up the shirt?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black fleece shirts are great. some people have a problem with the sleeve length. there were differences between the first season and this season in terms of measurements of the overall length of the shirt and the sleeve length.

i don't think there is a nicer shirt out there for $75 when on sale.

ps - i don't like the locket loop either. everyone i walk by at work tells me somethings wrong with my shirt and then i have to explain to them what it is.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
How slim is regular BB slim, though? I mean, I'm more über-scrawny than slim, really. Also, the damn logo on the chest of the solid-colored slimfit sport shirts pisses the **** out of me. Would taking a seamripper to that totally mess up the shirt?

BF is quite a bit slimmer than BB Slim Fit.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB is not nearly as slim as BoO. BF 0 is almost ideal fit for me, but the arms are too short. You seem a bit taller than me, so I doubt the arms on the Black Fleece 0 will work out for you. For comparison, I'm between a small and medium in BOO and an XS in most mall brands (e.g., J. Crew or Gap).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
BF is quite a bit slimmer than BB Slim Fit.
BF shirts are very well made, have nice buttons, hold up well, and are slimmer than BB Slim-fit. At $75 they are at a great price.

When I was in the Michigan Ave. store after Christmas they weren't half price, iirc, so this is good to know. I no longer buy them for dress shirts because the sleeves are too short for me, but they are at a great price for sportswear. By the way, I like the SA's at the Michigan Ave. store.

Reaction score
I like the jeans you've got on the in second pic. What brand and style are they?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads