• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For casual OCBD's: Black Fleece vs. RL Rugby vs. J. Crew

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^thanks, they're APC new cures. Anyway, I'm headed to BB on the L as I type this. Really excited to experience thom browne steeze.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^thanks, they're APC new cures. Anyway, I'm headed to BB on the L as I type this. Really excited to experience thom browne steeze.
Have fun. They have a decent collection of BF with good deals.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
By the way, I like the SA's at the Michigan Ave. store.

The great thing about buying Black Fleece at that store is Quentin will always stop and laugh at you when trying something on.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fack, just got back from the store. the only shirts that are 50% off are odd windowpane checks and french cuff shirts. no deals on the pink solid and blue striped ones I was going for. anyway, the BB0 (which fit beautifully in the body and wasn't too long to wear untucked) had sleeves that were just a *bit* too short for me, even when factoring in the Thom Browne look. I guess I'm too skinny for my own good.

I wouldn't have nitpicked if they were available for $75, though. I'll call some outlets and maybe post a buy & sell WTB thread...

Reaction score
Do you have any problem with those jeans fading on your BD shirts like the one's you're wearing? Also, if you wanted to try really slim shirts, try hickeystyle.com as well. A lot of them are on sale in the 50's right now from being close to 200.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 630
Do you have any problem with those jeans fading on your BD shirts like the one's you're wearing? Also, if you wanted to try really slim shirts, try hickeystyle.com as well. A lot of them are on sale in the 50's right now from being close to 200.

Nah, APC's aren't that crazy in terms of bleeding, and most of my buttondowns are pretty dark. However, I always tuck my [white] undershirts, and they never get blue.

Anyway, Hickey's shirts seem nice fit-wise, but what's up with all those pot leaves embroidered onto the sleeves? The solid oxford also only comes in blue and white, and the blue one has a contrast collar. Fail. As I said though, the fits look really nice.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the BF ocbd's for the first time today. wmmk, to me it didn't seem like they would work untucked because of the shape of the front as well as the detailing below the bottom button on the placket. I had the same problem with the sleeve length, just too short in sz1 and sz2 was too big in the neck. Bummer, because they seem nice at $75 and they did have quite a few of the styles available (store at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace, LV), though I don't remember the colors or cuff styles.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah. the SA who was helping me said that they could shorten the hem and refinish the bottom of the placket like a regular BB sportshirt for not too much $$.

were the regular buttondowns with barrel cuffs in solids and basic stripes $75 in LV? If so, I'm almost tempted to call their store and try to order.

did you think they were significantly slimmer then Rubgy or J. Crew shirts? mine felt like they were, but it was painfully obvious that the mirrors at the Chicago Brooks are the kind that are distorted to make you look slimmer, so it was hard to tell visually.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimmer than Rugby, yeah. The tailored fit J Crew shirts seem trimmer to me though (pic1 - sleeves on this particular shirt are a bit shorter than my other J Crew ones from last season, dunno why, but I do like the rest of the fit, pic2) Both of those shirts are untailored. For Rugby, I bring in a good 1" or so all the way up through the body & taper in the arms to look like this (pic). Thats a really tight fit on that one, probably wouldn't do that again. You can see how that shirt originally fit in this post.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
Slimmer than Rugby, yeah. The tailored fit J Crew shirts seem trimmer to me though (pic1 - sleeves on this particular shirt are a bit shorter than my other J Crew ones from last season, dunno why, but I do like the rest of the fit, pic2) Both of those shirts are untailored. For Rugby, I bring in a good 1" or so all the way up through the body & taper in the arms to look like this (pic). Thats a really tight fit on that one, probably wouldn't do that again. You can see how that shirt originally fit in this post.

Wow, that tailored Rugby looks great. Have you ever had the sleeves on a Rugby tailored? I'm thinking I might do that. Anyway, how heavy are the Rugby oxfords? I only have their broadcloth shirts.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did alter the sleeves on that Rugby shirt as part of the same tailoring operation that brought in the body (as I mentioned in reply to one of your posts in the sw&d small questions thread). One thing to keep in mind is that when the arms are that trim the elbows blow out relatively quickly, which is what just happened the other day on that particular shirt. No biggie, it will live on as a short sleeve.

Fabric weight is equivalent to jcrew, pretty thin (which helps explain the elbow blowout). The ocbd I have from Hickey is nice and heavy.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
wmmk: Try urban outfitters' plain oxfords. They are probably the best thing uo offers; the small is a good fit. Fits quite slim through the body and the sleeves would be a good length for someone 6'0(that's your height, correct?) I picked my light blue one up for $20. The sleeves aren't slim enough, but slimmer than most shirts. The quality is perfectly fine.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
I did alter the sleeves on that Rugby shirt as part of the same tailoring operation that brought in the body (as I mentioned in reply to one of your posts in the sw&d small questions thread). One thing to keep in mind is that when the arms are that trim the elbows blow out relatively quickly, which is what just happened the other day on that particular shirt. No biggie, it will live on as a short sleeve.

Fabric weight is equivalent to jcrew, pretty thin (which helps explain the elbow blowout). The ocbd I have from Hickey is nice and heavy.

Ah, right. I remembered you talking about altering your own shirts (including raising armholes), but I didn't know you did so with that particular one. If my elbows blow out, I might putting on suede elbow patches or something like that.
Originally Posted by bohemianmidnight
wmmk: Try urban outfitters' plain oxfords. They are probably the best thing uo offers; the small is a good fit. Fits quite slim through the body and the sleeves would be a good length for someone 6'0(that's your height, correct?) I picked my light blue one up for $20. The sleeves aren't slim enough, but slimmer than most shirts. The quality is perfectly fine.

Interesting. A solid pink and light-blue stripe are at the top of my KOP right now, but I'd definitely take a look at the UO blue oxford. Thanks for letting me know!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
... but it was painfully obvious that the mirrors at the Chicago Brooks are the kind that are distorted to make you look slimmer, so it was hard to tell visually.
Their mirrors and lighting are awful. I once took a suit outside to see the color better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads