• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food/Shopping recommendations for Chicago?

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Heading to Chicago for a few days, was wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations for a first-time visitor? Anyone know of a good place to pick up some Barbour outerwear while I'm there?
Thanks in advance!

scthornton

Reaction score
Chicago has some great steak houses you should check out, food in Chicago is excellent.

scthornton

Reaction score
In terms of shopping Michigan Ave (Miracle Mile) can be a lot of fun.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scthornton
In terms of shopping Michigan Ave (Miracle Mile) can be a lot of fun.
This, and there are lots of really good restaurant options in that area and throughout the city.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search - there are many threads on this subject already -

But here are some updated food ideas:

The Bristol
Benny's Steak House
The Girl and the Goat
L20

Off-Michigan shopping - Oak Street (just off) and also a little bit on Milwaukee between Division and Armitage (if you are a SWAD guy) or Syd Jerome (Lasalle and MOnroe) if you are an MC guy.

There are also some fun boutiques on Armitage between Halstead and Racine and a Barney's CoOp on Halstead just north of Armitage (the main Barney's and Hermes are on Oak and Rush).

Rollcast

Reaction score
For my money, the best steakhouse in Chicago is Gene and Georgetti's...it's the classic Chicago chophouse.

Rollcast

Reaction score
Also, don't forget to try the classic Chicago hot dog. New York has better pizza but Chicago wins in the hot dogs

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rollcast
Also, don't forget to try the classic Chicago hot dog. New York has better pizza but Chicago wins in the hot dogs

One person's opinion I suppose.

Others would easily state that it is the complete opposite. I tend to like New York dogs but hate their floppy cardboard pizza. It's OK I guess if you're on the go but if you're sitting down for a meal, Chicago stuffed pizza is the way to go. Head over to Pizzeria Due on North Wabash or Lou Malnati's on North Wells. Any Chicago street vendor should be able to accommodate you in the hot dog department but if you don't mind being verbally abused, Wiener Circle on the weekends is the place to go.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I personally hate Chicago style pizza, but going to Weiner Circle, drunk at 4 AM, and seeing someone tip $20 for a "chocolate shake" would be an absolutely awesome experience that I'd try to get it if I was only in the city for a weekend.

Jaredg

Reaction score
Check out Bigstar on Damen. It is incredibly relaxed, great mexican and a huge bourbon list. Go during the day because the patio is amazing.

DMK Burger bar is delicious and suprisingly cheap.

If you want to spend, Alinea is a meal you will tell your friends about for years to come. 14 courses, four hours, not to be missed if you can afford the $$$$ and the time.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaredg
Check out Bigstar on Damen. It is incredibly relaxed, great mexican and a huge bourbon list. Go during the day because the patio is amazing. DMK Burger bar is delicious and suprisingly cheap. If you want to spend, Alinea is a meal you will tell your friends about for years to come. 14 courses, four hours, not to be missed if you can afford the $$$$ and the time.
Better burgers @ Kuma's Corner

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amen, and for Barbour go to Orvis on Michigan Ave. Although there's a dedicated Barbour store in NYC. Shopping and pizza, I suppose.

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Better burgers @ Kuma's Corner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads