• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In Japanese knives that would be referred to as a 'Hamaguri' edge, or the strongest of the edges, the strength of the edge was originally discovered by the early Swordsmiths. A truly flat bevel is sharper, but 'Hamaguri' is the strongest.

It's not easy to maintain by any means because of the temptation to go ever steeper everytime you sharpen.

However, there are probably more people with single bevel knives that are actually in the Hamaguri shape than those who actually have a flat bevel, which is difficult to maintain freehand. So I think the best coarse of action is to create a flat bevel and maintain it by hand, over time it becomes a convex bevel.

Which is the best edge for cutting a carrot or potato?
What would be really useful would be a photo-essay showing, in close-up, the difference between vegetables cut with a single bevel edge, flat edge or convex edge.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:p

This isnt specific to kitchen knives, it's knowledge acquired to cutting wood with hand tools. However, the shapes and results are all the same.

For wood, the bevel preferred for paring is a flat bevel and that preferred for chopping is a convex bevel. For onions...probably the same.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think a flat grind (or a 2 stage flat where the very edge is shallower for durability) is ideal for the SFer's fancy kitchen knife.

They are much easier to take care of...a few passes on a flat stone will clean them up, and they are sharp. No need to futz with things like sandpaper on a mousepad or compound on soft leather to try and get a convex edge.

I believe victorinox uses a convex grind on swiss army knives for the durability. Most purchasers may never sharpen the knife, and with the convex edge, they will have a reputation for the "real" swiss army knives lasting much longer and thus being "sharper" than the cheapo pocket knives.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would be really useful would be a photo-essay showing, in close-up, the difference between vegetables cut with a single bevel edge, flat edge or convex edge.

any sharp knife. i've used most of them, single-bevel gyuotos are thinner and feel more "exact" but cutting vegetables? it's like asking which ferrari is best for driving the 405. unless you're doing mgm/saintedmatt style stuff, you'll never notice the difference.
speaking of which .... i am confident all you gents are going to spend at least as much time learning to cook as you are obsessing over your knives. :)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The worst knife for cutting a hard vegetable, other than a dull knife, is a thick knife. That means traditional Japanese knives are the worst by far for that particular task. Thin vs thick western knives both have advantages and drawbacks. Eventually it doesn't matter.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can absolutely tell the difference between a gyuto and a German knife, and even between decent, good and really good gyutos. My veg cuts are way better with a very good Japanese knife.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obviously, you cannot use the same knife to cut a potato as you would a carrot. Manton's just trolling you,

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The worst knife for cutting a hard vegetable, other than a dull knife, is a thick knife. That means traditional Japanese knives are the worst by far for that particular task. Thin vs thick western knives both have advantages and drawbacks. Eventually it doesn't matter.

I can absolutely tell the difference between a gyuto and a German knife, and even between decent, good and really good gyutos. My veg cuts are way better with a very good Japanese knife.

i don't think matt was talking about gyuotos, but about usubas, which have always seemed to me to be spectacularly unsuited for vegetable cutting (at least in the European fashion).
and i know what you mean about veg cuts being better with a very good Japanese knife. but my argument is that unless you are OCD about getting your dice in perfect 1/8 inch cubes, it's not ... wait a minute, who am I talking to here? :nodding:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i don't think matt was talking about gyuotos, but about usubas, which have always seemed to me to be spectacularly unsuited for vegetable cutting (at least in the European fashion).
and i know what you mean about veg cuts being better with a very good Japanese knife. but my argument is that unless you are OCD about getting your dice in perfect 1/8 inch cubes, it's not ... wait a minute, who am I talking to here? :nodding:

Exactly. Actually, I find that if you want 1/8 or whatever, any knife is fine. If you are trying to cut potatoes into 1/2 inch slabs, the thicker knives tend to push on the vegetable too much and crack it. Its the same thing that allows thin slices not to stick to a good German knife, but I don't like the look of the slightly chewed bottom of the potato slab from wedging.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Actually, I find that if you want 1/8 or whatever, any knife is fine. If you are trying to cut potatoes into 1/2 inch slabs, the thicker knives tend to push on the vegetable too much and crack it. Its the same thing that allows thin slices not to stick to a good German knife, but I don't like the look of the slightly chewed bottom of the potato slab from wedging.

Are you really saying that you are not using an imokiri? :confused:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some smiths will allow you to specify a thinner blade, depends on their capabilities.

I've been very tempted to order a Shigfusa thin gyuto. Off the cuff, I think the thin blades are relatively uncommon as they are not as needed for Japanese users.

Shig is like a 1 yr wait, or probably longer at this point....but I really dont care.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are different knives suited to various tasks, same reason I have 3-4 sets of chisels that are for special purposes. I tend to love to jump down the rabbit hole, but in this case I dont see this as being all that out there.

My obsession with 30,000 grit sharpening stones,,,,well all i can say is this :embar:

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some smiths will allow you to specify a thinner blade, depends on their capabilities.

I've been very tempted to order a Shigfusa thin gyuto. Off the cuff, I think the thin blades are relatively uncommon as they are not as needed for Japanese users.

Shig is like a 1 yr wait, or probably longer at this point....but I really dont care.

His knives do not require a thinner blade. They are not thin at the top, but behind the edge they are unbelievably so, and I have never had a problem with any food wedging.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1