• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FML Neighbors just moved in upstairs

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont throw parties much, maybe once a month if even. I live in a partitioned three section house, so its a bit like an apartment in a house. For the past month Ive been fine alone but these ******* neighbors with kids just moved in. My parties aren't obnoxiously loud, pretty tame for college parties in a college town. However, I know they will get pissed if the music gets too loud, etc. Life was so much easier without this family moving in, who moves into a college town with a crime rate like ours anyway? Seriously?

What should I do? Talking to them before a party would work, but they have **** kids. Now what?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Force them out. Send them dead animals in the mail, call them/ring their doorbell at random hours during the night, etc.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you live in a part of town where it's a lot of students? I know in a lot of college towns there's generally a pretty clear separation between the areas where the students and non-students/older grad students live. If it's a college town and you live in the former, your neighbors might be a bit more understanding about parties. I mean, they have to know it's a common thing. If I were you I'd go talk to them before there's a problem. That way you look like you're trying to work with them, rather than ignoring the potential problem.

Hopefully your new neighbors will be willing to compromise somewhat. When I was 20-21 I had a neighbor who moved into a complex where it was nothing but college-age kids, and she was older and had a kid. We didn't even really have parties at our place, and she used to complain constantly. Her room was directly below mine, and she actually complained once because I took a leak in the middle of the night.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea there are college kids living next door and across. I dont understand why the hell you would move into a college town if you have kids. The people beside me throw parties and I dont mind at all. Ill probably end up talking to her. Her kids cry in the morning.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Yea there are college kids living next door and across. I dont understand why the hell you would move into a college town if you have kids. The people beside me throw parties and I dont mind at all. Ill probably end up talking to her. Her kids cry in the morning.

Yeah, she's an idiot for not checking out her neighbors. When I started grad school one of the most important things to me when I started looking for a place to live was to make sure the place wasn't populated by undergrads. I don't begrudge them their partying, but I'd gotten past that phase in my life. It seems that this woman would have been well served to do the same.

That said, students aren't the only people who live in college towns. Someone has to teach the classes, run the schools/government, run the businesses, etc., and those people have kids. Even in a college town the students are generally in the minority.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Hopefully your new neighbors will be willing to compromise somewhat. When I was 20-21 I had a neighbor who moved into a complex where it was nothing but college-age kids, and she was older and had a kid. We didn't even really have parties at our place, and she used to complain constantly. Her room was directly below mine, and she actually complained once because I took a leak in the middle of the night.

maybe she had a small crack in the wall and whenever you took a leak it would spout from there?
eh.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
maybe she had a small crack in the wall and whenever you took a leak it would spout from there?
eh.gif

I would have given almost anything to have had that be the case, just so I could have paid her back for the headaches. The woman was insane.

The night she complained about the bathroom she actually pounded on her ceiling/my floor. She came up the next day to complain about the noise. My roommate told her we weren't doing anything but relaxing and watching TV. Her response was "well every time he goes to the bathroom it wakes me up." My roommate responded with "WELL I CAN'T MAKE MRG STOP PISSING!"

After she'd been there for a bit and we realized it was going to be an issue we tried to talk to her to make peace. We kept really odd hours then, and because of this we really tried to do our best to keep it down late at night. Part of the problem was the fact that the places were built like crap. When we went to talk to her we told her we were trying to keep it down. Her response was "I know it's not entirely you guys' fault, these places aren't built very well, but I just have to keep complaining to management so that they'll do something about it." I'm not sure what she expected, but I thought it was nice of her to complain about something she knew we couldn't control.

Then there was the time when she complained that our music was too loud when no one was home. I opened the front door to a ringing phone. I managed to grab it - it was the property manager calling because she'd complained that we were listening to our music too loud. No one had been in the apartment for hours.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one time my neighbours complained because they said my jaw line was so structured it was reflecting sun rays into their room! sunrays into their room!? can you believe it?!?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Then there was the time when she complained that our music was too loud when no one was home. I opened the front door to a ringing phone. I managed to grab it - it was the property manager calling because she'd complained that we were listening to our music too loud. No one had been in the apartment for hours.

I had a crazy neighbor that used to call management all the time to complain about noise back when I was an undergrad. Same type of situation. . . my roommate was gone on business (his summer internship had him traveling a lot), and I worked nights.

I'd come home to notes on the door from the crazy neighbor about the noise. . . no one was home! Management would leave messages on our answering machine (we had answering machines back then). I went to management and they said every time there was a noise complaint, it was obviously from a different apartment, and that the lights were all off in my apartment each time, but the complainer kept saying it was from my apartment.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're fucked. No really, I am in a similar but worse situation and have been there, done that. If anything, since it's just one family, try talking to them and making terms with them, throw parties when they're gone, go to other places, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads