• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flirting with or dating a co worker.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I work for a large software company with a relatively young workforce. There is an amazing amount of flirting and hooking up, and a surprising number of marriages.

My old office was exactly like this. I think I got up to 6 girls before I departed. Good thing there was a lot of turnover, 'cause it sure got awkward at times!

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a rhetorical question, right?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't see a problem with it. Others might.

I'm sure it depends a lot on the workplace and people involved.

I also don't totally understand why people feel awkward when stuff doesn't work out as planned -- either before or after. To me it's not big deal -- just move on in both cases.

Last edited:

bfillmore

Reaction score
That's pretty scary territory. Sure it may work out, but first think about your past relationships. How many exes are you still on good enough terms with that you'd want to see them in an office every day? If the answer is most of them, you have a pretty good shot at it working out.

div25sec9

Reaction score

I wouldn't see a problem with it. Others might.

I'm sure it depends a lot on the workplace and people involved.

I also don't totally understand why people feel awkward when stuff doesn't work out as planned -- either before or after. To me it's not big deal -- just move on in both cases.

Most of the time the issue isn't with you moving on, but the other party...that's where the awkwardness comes in

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of the time the issue isn't with you moving on, but the other party...that's where the awkwardness comes in

Nope. How can someone feel awkward if they don't worry about it and...well...don't feel awkward?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme see...

Company A)
I had not one but several women after me. The one I chose was (at least I thought so) a stunning beauty and had a certain animal-like lustful look in her eyes. Today, I would instantly recognize such a look to be a clear indicator to run for my life. She screwed almost everything that moved while she was with me. The gossip spread and there were plenty of people more than willing to tell me about her behaviour. I was in complete denial. I was so in love with her. She reduced me to a quivering jellyfish. Affair after affair she had, leaving me with almost no self-respect. She finally left me and it took 3 years for me to recover from 2 1/2 years of hell with her.

Company B)
Started fling with a female co-worker. We lived together for 2.5 years. She was unfaithful to me with another co-worker, then she left me for yet another co-worker, turning my job into a living hell, so I left. A real wrecking ball.

Company C)
Started dating one of our companys clients. She was 10 years older than myself and of a much higher position and social status. Her sister tried to repeatedly maipulate both of us throughout the year we were together. Then I left, claiming I was going to be a monk. The cleanest and pain-free break I have ever made.

Company D)
Started fling with a female co-worker. We lived together for 2 years. Then I left company and her.

Company E)
Creepy guy co-worker with bad breath was making eyes at me for weeks. One day he snuck up behind me while I worked, and started massaging my shoulders! I bolted out of my chair and said, 'what the **** are you doing?! Don't you ever do that again! now get the **** away from me and go brush your teeth' I got called into bosses office 15 minutes later...boss says, 'so & so said you insulted him'. I replied, 'I most certainly did not. He's been eyeing me with lust for the last several weeks, snuck up on me and started to massage me!. I told him to get away and go brush his teeth! I should be given a bonus for saving the lungs of the staff!' ...boss sits there, eyes bulging, ready to blow a valve, suddenly cannot contain himself another second, bursts out with a roar of laughter!. Needless to say, no love match there. I left company 4 months later.

Company F)
Grand daughter of CEO, 16 years my junior, starts hitting on me. This continued for weeks until I very politely told her this can go nowhere and suggested she pursue someone else. Next day I come to work to hateful stares from ALL of the women, including her, who was spraying crocodile tears to her female co-workers. Got yanked into bosses office. Boss said, 'She told me all about it..that you two were involved, and that she ended it, and you can't let her go and are obsessing, and it's affecting her work'. I sat there...dumbfounded, then said, 'nothing ever happened in the first place, she is lying!' Got fired that very moment. I should have fucked her brains out just to keep my job?

Company G)
Female co-worker making eyes at me with smiles...ohnoo, not again! We went out for dinner. We agreed on nothing and were completely incompatible. Even her lovely ass could not prevail over her political views. I made excuses to avoid further dinners & outings until she gradually gave it up. I eventually left company for other non-related reasons.

Company H)
Co-worker hitting on me. She insists on coffee. I had coffee with her (big mistake) and she started swooning over me at my desk doubletime, attracting unwanted attention from my supervisor. I politely rejected offer after offer for further outings. Instead, I started dating a beautiful woman from another company in the same building. My co-worker was furious when she found out I had chosen someone else. She gave me the cold shoulder to the extreme. Meanwhile, there was a female supervisor who wanted me too. I was not attracted or interested in her, and she went hellfire against me for rejecting her. She made so much trouble for me with lies and her bullshit that I was fired.
On the upside, I am still together with the woman I chose, now for 7 years.

I will never again date anyone from work, ever!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same rule should apply to condo & apartment dwellers in my estimation. Same dangers are present.
I am saddened to say I learned this one the hard way too. Anyone else have a story to share?

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same rule should apply to condo & apartment dwellers in my estimation. Same dangers are present.
I am saddened to say I learned this one the hard way too. Anyone else have a story to share?

you realize that doesn't count as sharing a story - it is lacking sufficient deail

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics