• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing a lose/looped thread (damage) to tie?

SFA

Reaction score
So I was getting ready this weekend to put on a Thomas Pink tie that my wife bought me last year for our engagement. Of course, I had a little hang nail and I accidently pulled a little bit of thread around the area where it will be the most noticeable. The tie has a lot of sentinmentle value to me, and my wife was equally upset that I potentially damaged the tie permanently.

At first I thought I would try and fix it by using one of my double edge razors (they are super sharp) to slice/cut off the little loop that is sticking out. But I am sure there is a more better fix, and I have a feeling I will do more damage if I slice off the loop.

I don't know how I would "work" the loop back into the fabric. I guess I can take it to a tailor, but I haven't had any luck here in Toronto goign to a reputable tailor who does decent work.

Any suggestions or tips on how to work/fix this little loop that is sticking out from my tie?

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please perform a search, this has been covered many times.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the vendors on here reminds me that every time you buy a tie you have to imagine that the soup is already on it. Silk ties are like silk stockings - they're beautiful but fragile, and they all get ruined eventually. Oh, and enjoy married life. After you're married, everything is a silk tie with sentimental value.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SFA, You are correct - do not cut the loop. Gently push the loop back into the tie. When time allows I will make a tutorial for this.

SFA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
SFA,

You are correct - do not cut the loop.

Gently push the loop back into the tie.

When time allows I will make a tutorial for this.

Thanks. I found this post from another forum, I've pasted it below and I will give it a shot tonight when I am home:

------
I actually look FIRST for any snagged ties, since I've developed a method of repairing them quickly. This often doubles my savings on fine woven-silk ties.

My technique is a variant of the method used for desnagging sweaters, but reworked for finer silk fabrcs. Here's my approach:

Pick out a sewing needle with a medium eye. Thread about 3 feet of what seamstresses call "dual duty" thread through it-- this just means halfway between fine and heavy thread. At one end of the thread , tie three or four small granny knots at half inch intervals. Even the two ends. You now have a compound-action tie-desnagger.

Take the tie. While wearing reading glasses, place the point of the needle at the precise point where one part of the snag loop sticks out of the tie fabric. Push the needle through the face of the tie, through the lining, and have the point emerge through the back seam.

With a series of short jerks, pull the needle, which will cause the two lengths of coarse thread to pull the snag rearward, back into the fabric of the tie. Pull the UNKNOTTED side of the thread through first.

The final stage of the snag correction should occur when the knots pass through the fabric, grabbing any remaining snagged fabric and dragging it into the tie's interior.

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

I have also used this method to correct a horrendous snag in a Corneliani pure-silk sportcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads