1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fitted cotton polos?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kylehughs, Apr 17, 2011.

1. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

Strangely, they don't have all the colors anymore, but I really enjoy LE Canvas Polo shirts. I'm a size 36/38 in jackets and I bought their size S.
    Dam, that's cheap. I might have to try it. I'm usually a 41 jacket size, give or take, so I'm guessing that I'd need to go one size up to a medium.

2. kraands

kraands Well-Known Member

H&M polos are very decent too. The trick is not to put them in the dryer so that they don't shrink. Cold wash and hang dry

x2

Although, I throw all my H&M shirts in the dryer. Their size S is a little too small for me and their size M is slightly too big so I buy mediums and shrink them in the dryer.

Their shirts aren't the best quality by any means but for the fit and price you can't really go wrong.

3. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Do you know how these compar to their normal Pima polo shirts? Like these:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ShortSlee...a&origin=index

Yeah, those are baggier than the Canvas ones. Also, I believe, of slightly inferior quality.

Dam, that's cheap. I might have to try it. I'm usually a 41 jacket size, give or take, so I'm guessing that I'd need to go one size up to a medium.

Definitely a Medium. Look for codes floating around. Right now it's $10 off $50+ and free shipping. Before it was 30% off and free shipping. So they are even cheaper. And you can always return them to the store and lose nothing. Or exchange them for a different size free of extra charge.

4. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Strangely, they don't have all the colors anymore, but I really enjoy LE Canvas Polo shirts. I'm a size 36/38 in jackets and I bought their size S.

Fit picture. Sorry for the quality.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the rec, just bought a couple white mediums based on your recommendation.

5. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

I second the J. Crew rec. I love their jaspe ones. The regular ones are good for unbranded good fitting polos.

I like Ralph Laurens better though. I think Lacoste is just as good, but not sure if they make the non-mesh you refer to in OP.

6. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

Definitely a Medium. Look for codes floating around. Right now it's $10 off $50+ and free shipping. Before it was 30% off and free shipping. So they are even cheaper. And you can always return them to the store and lose nothing. Or exchange them for a different size free of extra charge.
    Thanks -- although if the polos are only 9.99 a pop then I don't know that I want to buy enough stuff to get me to $50.

Do they shrink much? I bet a medium will fit me out of the box (6'0", 185lbs athletic build), but if it shrinks much it might not work.

7. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the link to my new slim fit polos. I started making them because I wasn't satisfied with what I was buying.
    H&M polos are very decent too. The trick is not to put them in the dryer so that they don't shrink. Cold wash and hang dry
    I own about six of their polos. They definitely shrink a lot if you put them in the dryer, but even if you cold wash and hang dry they shrink a noticeable amount. The cotton pique I use is much higher quality and hasn't shrank at all after several wash cycles. I think the H&M ones also have a messy collar, an issue which I have addressed with mine.
    I second the J. Crew rec. I love their jaspe ones. The regular ones are good for unbranded good fitting polos.
    I have a J. Crew and the fit is rather boxy. Better than some other mall brands perhaps, but certainly not as slim as H&M or my polos.

9. madhatter349

madhatter349 Member

I actually just bought about 10 polo's from Landsend Canvas for 7.50 each, the problem is I have yet to find a size that fits. I wear a large in Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers, but the large and the X-large of LE Canvas fit very awkwardly. I'm thinking of trying to size down to a medium and if that fails I think I'm going to have to give up on these 7.50 polo's.

10. AE7

AE7 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the link to my new slim fit polos. I started making them because I wasn't satisfied with what I was buying.

I own about six of their polos. They definitely shrink a lot if you put them in the dryer, but even if you cold wash and hang dry they shrink a noticeable amount. The cotton pique I use is much higher quality and hasn't shrank at all after several wash cycles.

I think the H&M ones also have a messy collar, an issue which I have addressed with mine.

I have a J. Crew and the fit is rather boxy. Better than some other mall brands perhaps, but certainly not as slim as H&M or my polos.

Because all my pique shirts were of questionable quality and felt really light and cheapy after some wear, I know prefer jersey ones. Do you know why is pique is more widely used for polos?The only nice pique I had was from Jack Willies, UK brand, the material was very thick and substantial.
    HM is a waist of money for 99% of their stuff - cheap Chinese cotton ruins every product.

11. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

I actually just bought about 10 polo's from Landsend Canvas for 7.50 each, the problem is I have yet to find a size that fits. I wear a large in Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers, but the large and the X-large of LE Canvas fit very awkwardly. I'm thinking of trying to size down to a medium and if that fails I think I'm going to have to give up on these 7.50 polo's.

Maybe you shouldn't buy slim fitting polos...just saying.

12. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should have made sure that the sizing was correct before ordering 10 of them. [​IMG]

13. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I know Black Fleece is not a favorite brand on here, I I quite like their Polos and casual shirts. Great materials, MOP buttons, and colors that pop.

I also have a few of the BB polos. I am usually a large, but found even the large in slim fit too be too baggy. I was pleasntly surprised when I tried on the Medium and it fit perfectly (except a little tight around the arms, but that can stretch). My biggest complaint is the logos.

14. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

Do you know why is pique is more widely used for polos?

Isn't pique more breathable due to the loose weave? If so, I think that is the answer.

My biggest complaint is the [BB] logos.

I agree, their logo is ugly. But I do wonder whether the rest of the world respects the logo and would recognize it as a mark of quality.

15. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I agree, their logo is ugly. But I do wonder whether the rest of the world respects the logo and would recognize it as a mark of quality.

At least the BF polos do not have the logo. They do, however, have a BF sewn-in tag at the bottom which can be removed or tucked in.

16. scourage

scourage Well-Known Member

Bonobos makes some good polos. I bought one this fall after it went on sale for something like 25$. returned cause i decided the color didn't work, but the fit was really good. slim with decent length and material felt nice

17. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

try Burlington Black Label. They are made in Germany and quite expensive. Try them before you buy, they are for slim people.

18. AE7

AE7 Well-Known Member

Isn't pique more breathable due to the loose weave? If so, I think that is the answer.

Yes, but most of the TShirts, some long sleeved polos and rugbies are not made from pique. Its usually cotton jersey.

19. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

Burlington Black Label will hug you. Try them.

20. CYstyle

CYstyle Well-Known Member

No. people think it's a bug, a bear, a pig, and every animal in the world before they realize it's a sheep. Delvecchio wanted to bring back Brooks brothers to it's roots as a maker of high quality clothing that everyone respected a long time ago, however the people who bought brooks brothers long ago when it was the gold standard in Men's OTR clothing in America, are dead, old and fat, and otherwise not anyone's target market but nursing homes and funeral services.

To the general public the golden fleece holds absolutely no meaning and is not recognized at all. Similarly I think they should have cut the peal and co brand. peal and co holds little value as a brand whereas if they were to brand the shoes C&J for BB, the C&J brand is recognizable even to people not on this forum