• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of this leather jacket?

Bob01

Reaction score
Looking for comments on the fit of this jacket and in general. The sleeves are a bit long, but I think thats it for its flaws? (well that and its not a more traditionally cut jacket I guess ;-)) As for everything else, fit in the shoulders, length, waist - it looks ok? Not sure if the waist looks off - The holidays were too good to me (injured knee and ankle early on from skiing, prime rib and cheesecake everyday for 3 weeks) and I gained 12 lbs mostly at the gut, hope to get it off in the coming weeks:p

When I first received this jacket I wasn't too keen on the color, but it kinda grew on me, until I realized its a really close to the shade of my sister's suv leather interior.....as for shortening the sleeves, since they are zippered/gusseted cuffs - how would this be done? Reading from other posts, it seems after finding a seasoned leather expert, that they would remove the zipper from the cuffs, cut accordingly, reattach the zippers and just go?...but since these are gusseted I would imagine it would make it more difficult/expensive?

When wearing this kind of jacket - where should the sleeve end? Currently when I relax my hand, it goes to mid palm when the arm is to the side. When the arm is bent, I would think the ideal location for the sleeve to end would be the wrist? It shouldn't be normal to have to constantly scrunch up the sleeves so the sleeves don't fall to mid-palm?

On a side note, does anyone out there have recommendations for a leather worker in South Florida? Preferably close to either Miami Beach or Pompano Beach areas?

Thank you all!

unzipped-front.jpg

unzipped-front-2.jpg

unzipped-back.jpg

unzipped-side-sleeve-normal.jpg

unzipped-side-sleeve-up.jpg

unzipped-side-arm-bent.jpg

zipped-front.jpg

zipped-front-2.jpg

zipped-side-arm-up.jpg

zipped-side-arm-up-2.jpg

zipped-side-sleeve-up.jpg

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves defintely too long, mine ends at my wrist bone....

Body can be taken in a bit.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jacket is too big. this is most clear in the photo of the back.

the arms are supposed to run long on that style of jacket but those are too long.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
The sleeves look bad but I think that this is an example of the SF groupthink at work... If it doesn't mold to your body they all hate it. It looks fine for a casual coat... perfect for light layering and does its job.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The oversized fit and plain style reminds me of the type of leather jacket I see 55 year old guys wearing, except there's are always brown or black color. My dad is 70 and wears a black leather jacket in the same style that fits almost exactly like yours!

If you can return it, I would do so. But if you received it as a gift and are concerned about hurting someones feelings, then you should at least try to exchange for the next size down. I bet it will look a lot better.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
The sleeves look bad but I think that this is an example of the SF groupthink at work... If it doesn't mold to your body they all hate it. It looks fine for a casual coat... perfect for light layering and does its job.

The trouble is that such fits make you look far older than you are, and they also tend to make you look like a "regular dude" whom doesn't care about style. If the OP is ok with this, then I agree the jacket is fine. It provides a very ordinary look that I see people wearing all the time. But since he came to styleforum, I am guessing he has higher aspirations for his style?

Also, the OP said he lives in South Florida. So I doubt he needs extra space under the jacket for bulky knits or thick shirts. Thus, a tighter fitting jacket would likely cover 100% of his needs.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
Seconded the above statement.

Motion carried. The jacket is too big, and when you lose that 12 pounds, it'll get worse.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this jacket (or in particular, this size) is not the right one for you. but I wouldn't sweat it, plenty of brands, including cheap ones (H&M, Uniqlo) are making nice slim leather (or pleather) jackets in various colors. Getting an traditional expensive one >$500 and then adding more cost by tailoring is not a smart way to go plus it will unlikely come out wrong and you'll never wear it anyways. If I were you I'd return it and then start over. Good luck.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
unzipped-front.jpg
[/quote]

Like I said, this jacket is at least 1 size too big, possibly 2, like the other guy said.

It's fitted to your shoulders, and only your shoulders - it may be that you're shorter than average/have wider shoulders than average, or the jacket itself was cut for taller, slimmer people.
The rest - the body length is about 1-2" too long, the jacket should barely extend below the belt buckle. The sleeves are at least an inch, if not an inch and a half or two inches too long, they should hit at the wristbone or slightly past, with your arms relaxed at your sides. The jacket is at least 1" too wide across the torso, meaning 2" around. All of these numbers indicate it's at least a size too big. The fit of the jacket when zipped should reveal space between your sides and your arms.

You are right in thinking it's difficult to tailor a motorcycle jacket's sleeves down, and for the way this thing fits you, completely not worth it. get rid of this and get something that fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads