• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit/critique on Target suit: Can I fix this via tailor? (New suit 3rd page)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just bought my first full suit, going with something cheap for the time being.

Just some details first-off:
  • Merona Suit via Target, ~$85
  • Polyester blend
  • Dark grey/charcoal color (would have preferred navy)
  • Relaxed fit

My main question is whether the shoulders fit correctly. The jacket has small padding that sits right on my shoulder bone, maybe less than 1/4 passed. It is a size 38R, not sure if they carry 36 (checked online).

Tbh, I was pretty excited when I saw it as it fit the bill. Because I bought it so cheap I am also going to invest in tailoring the suit to a more modern fit.

Question is whether it is worth it--from the stock fit (mostly with the jacket). Not too concerned about construction or material atm (not ready to step it up yet). If the jacket fit is okay, then I will just narrow everything down to more fitted look. (Suggestions?)

Btw, this is not meant to be a full-time suit to wear. More like interviews only/events etc. And being that it is my first, I did not want to spend too much especially for what I am planning on using it for.

Appreciate comments/feedback:

Note: From the side photos I do not know why it makes it look like I have a huge gut. I am standing relaxed with back straight looking forward. Maybe my stance, maybe the cut/button stance on the jacket?

Anyways, as it is, the cut looks huge on me imo. Cut very full instead of modern, slim fit that I am looking for. You be the judge. :)

Photos:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, I mean the jacket is too big, and the pants are way too long.

shoulders don't look horrid for off the rack.

Really though, I would much rather scrounge up another $80 and buy even a Lauren by Ralph lauren that is 100% wool then this blend. It will look better, last better, and make you feel better, regardless of its limited use.

lemmy127

Reaction score
The shoulders look a tad too wide. Did you check other Targets in your area? Because selection can vary greatly. My hometown Target is stocked to the brim since no one wears suits except the execs at Kohler Company. But the Target closest to me is pretty well picked over since it's a college town.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I have too much faith in the tailor.

From what I have read and understand, the pants can always be fixed and altered to fit me. The jacket on the other hand can be tricky. If the shoulders are off, then even tailoring the piece is difficult.

The price is what really caught me tbh.

On a side note, I have tried on other jackets in size 38R and the fit much better (especially you can tell the difference in how the shoulder sits).

Just wondering, but could it be that b/c everything atm is so huge on me, that it is exaggerating the shoulder proportion?

Also, is the jacket length too long? When I think big and looking at the fit, I am thinking in terms of wide/full. The pants are long definitely, so a hem and taper is needed.

Seems like:
A) Return and shop around some more
B) Find size 36R
C) Tailor and hope for the best

Thanks!

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, I mean the jacket is too big, and the pants are way too long.

shoulders don't look horrid for off the rack.

Really though, I would much rather scrounge up another $80 and buy even a Lauren by Ralph lauren that is 100% wool then this blend. It will look better, last better, and make you feel better, regardless of its limited use.

agreed

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, appreciate the feedback.

I think I've already decided to return and shop around some more. Kind of want a suit ASAP, but I know I shouldn't settle.

I truly believed a tailor could fix this too, but I've on better fitting even though pricier jackets. The search continues!

Last edited:

hoomanbor

Reaction score
You should be able to find something at Macy's for about 200. A bit more, but like someone above said, 100% wool and with last longer.

You also may want to try H&M, they do some slim fit suits for about 199 total.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone says that about H&M but from what I keep seeing, the suits are more for parties/going out to clubs/drinks then real suits you can wear for formal occasions.

I know they are cut pretty slim too, maybe too slim. Will check out Macy, already on "things to do" list.

From my experience though, Burlington and Nordstrom Rack had the best fit (the latter having better offerings). I may just check out local NS rack again, but price is pretty high ~ $300-500

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ At the moment, the tailoring costs to get your suit right would be pretty damn high too. Judge of cost should be price of suit plus tailoring costs and not just the suit alone. I would ask you to seriously consider paying a little bit more for 100% wool.

Last edited:

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket's a bit big in basically every dimension. Even if you get it altered, the sleeves are going to be billowy. It looks nicer than an 80 dollar suit, and its fine if you just need a suit for totally utilitarian purposes, but I think investing a bit for wool is the way to go. Some of the SW&D guys spend more than this on their t-shirts.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily, Target has a decent return policy. Return this asap. Either look on ebay for a 36R, or go thrift/vintage shop hunting. This will keep you in your price range, and get you a suit that fits reasonably well from the start. At the moment, you are looking at over $100 in alterations. So consider your budget to be more around $200.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Return immediately. This suit was made for a larger framed person.

Like others said, go to H&M. Cheapest, slimmest fitting suits you will find in a brick and mortar

Last edited:

hoomanbor

Reaction score
Don't think of H&M as just for partying and drinking. Wearing a classy shirt/tie combo, with a PS or a Tie Clip, can make change the entire outfit.

I have suits I wear with a v-neck for a summer night in Vegas, or with all the bells and whistles for a wedding. It's all about how you pull it off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads