• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time custom suit jacket - please help Guru's

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Hi Style Forum,

I'm new here. I'm looking to get a couple of suit jackets made in Seoul. I already have a tailor in mind as I had previously commissioned them to make me several pairs of dress pants. At that time I didn't think to go for a full custom suit as I was not confident enough to do so.

I have done some research and have basically come up with a few things that a good custom suit jacket should have:
- be fully canvassed
- have real button holes
- horn buttons (is this just for sleeve buttons or all buttons?)
- 3.5 inch lapels
- two buttons
- double vent

Sorry I'm quite novice. I'm worried about my first time - yeah, that's what she said! If you could chip in on some advice to help me build a great first time custom suit, that's be great. An example would be hownthe collar is stitched to the body and what kind of stitiching is the best for structural integrity. For your information, I like the cutting from Zegna's Satorial line 2011.

I'm hoping to get this all done and dusted within the next 10 days. Pics of collaborative end product will ensue
smile.gif

Many thanks!

ktrp

Reaction score
If you like 2 button, double vented then by all means get that. But a very nice jacket may have a different button configuration or venting style.

Details are nice, but I would focus foremost on communicating what you are looking for in terms of general shape and cut.

I have a few m2m jackets (pre SF). I like a number of things about them, my regrets are having not asked for higher armholes and a somewhat slimmer profile. There are other details I may do differently in the future, but that is less significant then the overall cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads