• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Swims/Rubbers/Galoshes/Shoe Covers

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems very few people here take care of their shoes in the rain.

ballsy statement given that this has been discussed probably at least a dozen times in the past.

Anyway, I use tingleys and have a pair of 10" high overboots for the winter, but my new office is basically a covered walk from the subway, so its not really and issue anymore.

brnout

Reaction score
I have Swims both in black and orange, love them. I am size 43 (9?) in shoes, and use L in swims.

If you are only going to buy one pair, I would go for black. They blend in more, and are less "hey look at me!!".

The orange pair I use mostly weekends, and/or with a tux.. I like the feeling of having a personal touch to my outfit, when I am going to the party; but I hate guys that add their personal touch/sprezz to their tux at the party..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I vote green. Orange is a bit too loud, IMO, especially if you're like me and often carry non black umbrellas.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score
Thanks you. I'm going to buy the orange SWIMS. Yeah, I have changed my mind since I have some light brown and tan shoes. So, the orange overshoes will fit me good.

I wonder what the normal price for the SWIMS Classic II is? I see the spread is really great from 60 dollars up to 100.

There is one more favor I want to ask of you. Can you recommend me any stores that sell SWIMS online?

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score
I'm browsing a SWIMS web site. I can't get how they measure the SWIMS size. My shoe size is 45 (my foot length is 29 cm). Does that mean my SWIMS must be 45 size too?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I think you're reading the image wrong.

You're an x-large. cm is probably the actual length of the galoshes. My x-large measures 32.25 cm in length on the bottom sole.

As for pricing, I bought mine from brooksbrothers. Cost me 98 bucks. Don't know where you can purchase them for cheaper.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

No, I think you're reading the image wrong.
You're an x-large. cm is probably the actual length of the galoshes. My x-large measures 32.25 cm in length on the bottom sole.
As for pricing, I bought mine from brooksbrothers. Cost me 98 bucks. Don't know where you can purchase them for cheaper.

Thanks. What kind of model did you buy for that price?

Clovis Sangrail

Reaction score
Ditching my shoes for a pair of thirty dollar gumboots on the way to the Derby a few years ago convinced me that having a pair of these in the boot of the car is a wise investment.

Not convinced that I would wear galoshes in the city though, they just look a bit silly I think.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I finally bought SWIMS Classic. They are dark brown. I didn't dare to spring for orange though. Why? I believe wearing orange overshoes is okay only in case you are dressed in some strict suit. Since I often wear colorful shirts orange galoshes would be too much for me. Anyway, I assume orange SWIMS must look great with some say solid navy/grey suit, solid white shirt and solid black/brown shoes.

The only think that does concern me is the thickness of the sole. It is quite thin. That means there might be a hole in the sole around the heel in a couple of months since I walk quite fast.

the_sulks

Reaction score

The velvety lining makes it much easier to take on and off. They're incredibly better than Tingley galoshes which are unlined and a pain in the butt to take on and off.

This velvety lining rubbed away intensely after the first stroll in the rain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads