• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit question -- Cerruti 1881?

subterranean

Reaction score
I've been lurking SF for a while, and have found quite a bit of great info. So, I finally made an account... Cerruti 1881 Is this a good choice for a first suit choice? In the past, my suit selections have been of cheaper brands, etc, and I'm trying to avoid that trap. This suit is $514 and my upper budget limit is pretty much this. I'll be needing the suit within a couple of weeks. Is this a worthy purchase (quality: price)? I was initially setting out to find a two-button suit, and this suit is three buttons, which I can "settle" on. Is 3B more appropriate for a first suit? Also, my physical chest measures 36. Should I purchase the same number as indicated on the suit? I have no idea about how fitted this label is produced. Thanks in advance for any input.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what your needs are in a first suit (for what type of job, is it for nights out) or what your age is but that is not what I would consider to be a wardrobe staple. Don't know anything about Cerruti (don't they sell that at Macy's?) but that jacket is very short, that is a 3 button suit which rolls to the 3rd button, and I think it's black, right? That is a pretty fashion forward suit. For $500, you can do wonders on ebay or Sierra Trading post. My suggestions, assuming that you are looking for a multipurpose suit (relatively conservative job, weddings etc), is to look for Ralph Lauren Blue Label suits, Corneliani (makes the RL suits), Canali, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, and some others that I can't think of right now but that I am sure others will chime in. You're two biggest issues are the time constraint and your 36 suit jacket which I think is a size smaller than most of these guys make. MTM is also an option if you can spare another $200 or so.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditto the advice, given by edmorel. Comprehensive and logical. Excellent.

southbound35

Reaction score
Definitely a "no" on that suit for the reasons listed above.

Where do you live? Perhaps someone on the board will know of some good places to pick up quality suits at a reasonable price.

I'd suggest going to a local department store and at least trying on suit jackets to make sure a 36 is what you need. Your options will increase exponentially if a 38 is the better size. Since today is Sunday, you really aren't going to lose actual shipping time by doing a little shopping in a bricks and mortar store to find what size and what style you prefer. Then come home this evening and do some online shopping.

How are you for shoes/belt, shirt, tie?

Edited to add that I'd suggest navy or charcoal, solid or pinstripe for your first suit.

subterranean

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Well, I'm a 19 year old college student studying in the SF Bay Area. I'm trying to get some essential foundational items for my wardrobe. The suit is for evenings out (classical music functions especially) and near future job-interview and related things. (In both cases, something too fashion forward might not be the best option, right?)

I thought I had read in the past on this board that Cerruti came recommended, and from the photo it appears to be a dark grey, which I considered to be a basic, first suit color (like charcoal). It depends on the store, but for instance, while strolling around H&M I found that I fit definitely more comfortably in a 38. I think this depends on the label, right? I'm definitely willing to shop around -- my goal is get the best choice in terms of style and price. And I know charcoal and navy should be first suit color choices. I think that I would prefer something in the grey family first. I would try ebay but I'm always skeptical about actually purchasing something.

I've checked STP, but my recent searches have shown sizes that aren't in my ballpark. Any other suggestions?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cerruti suits are 'okay' - I have one in blue pinstripe and it's perfectly good for work/business. Nice cut and cloth but I wouldn't pay more than 250-300 for one.

JordanB

Reaction score
Before buying a suit online, go to a good suit store and have them determine your proper size. This won't commit you to buying there. Once you have your size, you can look in stores and online.

I may be wrong, but I do not think that jacket sizes correspond to actual chest sizes--I think they're always about 2 inches bigger (which is why the 38 fit you better).

You also need to determine the proper length--whether you're a short, regular, or tall (how tall are you).

Remember--regardless of how much you spend on the suit, if it doesn't fit properly, it will look like crap.

Once you've done all this, you should find the best charcoal grey suit that your $500-600 can buy.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measure your chest. The stated size of the jacket should correspond to your chest measurement. The measured size of the jacket will be larger than your chest measurement. Some by 2 in., some by 3 in., some larger by as much as 4 in. That is why it is very difficult to purchase simply by label size as different cuts allow more room - even from the same maker.

Many people simply overlook this - that is why their jackets fit poorly. Shoulder width fit is somewhat the same problem.

You can find many, many posts on this board describing the situations where the same person will write that they are a 42. But the one by maker XXX is much too large or they had to go to a 44 from maker YYY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads