• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of brown shoes - yay or nay?

ben_c

Reaction score
Hi all, Been lurking about the forum for a while. I am, as they say, a newbie, so I'd love some advice from the educated masses. I want to buy a pair of brown shoes to go with some basic suits (solid navy, grey, brown), but a lot of the nicer looking pairs are awfully uncomfortable. Ecco recently came out with a 'nicer' looking pair that feels pretty good on the feet. Are these shoes appropriate and/or acceptable for suits? Fuzzy pictures from a cameraphone (apologies):
04162007003lj7.jpg
[edit: I should add that I have ordered the slip-on version (non laceup) of this shoe]

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the shape, bicycle stitch detail or glossy diarrhea color, but if it floats your boat, rock on.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by ben_c
I want to buy a pair of brown shoes to go with some basic suits (solid navy, grey, brown), but a lot of the nicer looking pairs are awfully uncomfortable. Ecco recently came out with a 'nicer' looking pair that feels pretty good on the feet. Are these shoes appropriate and/or acceptable for suits?
The Rules say that bluchers are not acceptable with suits. The Rules also say that all shoes should have leather soles. Bicycle toes are controversial. Could you list some of the "nicer looking" brands you've tried? Were they also nicely made? An insole might help with some of your comfort issues.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no

ben_c

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
The Rules say that bluchers are not acceptable with suits. The Rules also say that all shoes should have leather soles. Bicycle toes are controversial. Could you list some of the "nicer looking" brands you've tried? Were they also nicely made? An insole might help with some of your comfort issues.
Excellent. This is the type of advice I was hoping for -- thanks. Living in Toronto, I passed through Harry Rosen, Davids and Cole-Hahn. I can't remember too specifically...I remember Boss, Allen Edmonds (a little dated for me, at least the styles that were available), it's a bit of a blur, but all I remember is feeling uncomfortable with a lot of the brands. I should add that my foot is a little wider, so some of the slimmer models do not fit well.

ben_c

Reaction score
LOL. Maybe for those that unabashedly hate this shoe, perhaps a suggestion on a reasonably priced pair that usually fits comfortably?

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
The first bit of advice you need: never buy shoes in any of those stores, or in Canada at all for that matter. Horrible selection of brands and of those, double the price what you'd pay in the US. (Search the archives for more on this).

Look for a nice pair of AE's on eBay or from someone here.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Look for a nice pair of AE's on eBay or from someone here.

Yeah, AEs are the standard "affordable good shoe" around here. You can often find them for less than $150. Some of the styles are a bit old man, but some are more modern. Just have to sift through.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess for a first brown shoe, I would go with something a little more classic. Everything about this shoe is far from classic. You should consider a nice brown Oxford. Check out Francos.com. They have a great shoe collection.

ben_c

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What size are you, and what's your price range?

I'm a 9. Price-wise, those Ecco's I believe were CDN$350, so I would rather stay at or under that price point.

fatherseanfan, I know that there is much more selection in the US, but it just isn't practical to travel just to shoe shop. Perhaps Buffalo isn't out of the question. There just HAS to be a few quality stores in Toronto.

jett

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of AE Sanfords via ebay, used they were about $40 with shipping. From what I have seen prices on used AE shoes tend to go from $10 to $80. If you don't want used there are a good number of new ones on there regularly at much below what you would pay in a store.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ben_c
I'm a 9. Price-wise, those Ecco's I believe were CDN$350, so I would rather stay at or under that price point. fatherseanfan, I know that there is much more selection in the US, but it just isn't practical to travel just to shoe shop. Perhaps Buffalo isn't out of the question. There just HAS to be a few quality stores in Toronto.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...p-For-Men.html AE Monks for $189 Or some nice Testonis for $350... too old man?
biggrin.gif
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...s-For-Men.html
4i3gg3s.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in Toronto and can assure you that it's probably the worst city in the world for quality mens' shoes (and probably menswear for that matter) relative to its size. A veritable wasteland of rubber soled, pointy-toed, corrected-grain, loafers and assorted mall-type crap. Aside from casual shoes, I don't think I've bought a pair here in years. Finding a quality pair of classic brown shoes on Bloor Street, arguably Canada's Fifth Ave./Rodeo Dr...., is virtually impossible. Believe me, I've tried.

Harry Rosen carries AE (you can get them for ~$300 when they go on sale maybe twice a year), a few Tramezza models (highway robbery at $850+), some Zegna, Canali and Testoni as well as the usual Prada, Gucci and Boss crap but all those are usually > $350.

David's house brand shoes are made by Magnanni and tend to be very comfortable, if not the best quality. You'll find some models more to your liking if you don't like AE styling and they are much better shoes than Ecco imo and ~$300. For a first pair to wear with suits, you should probably get stitched or punched cap bals like these (again, remarkably hard to find):
egoldberkeley88darkoakxd3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics