• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Chris Despos Suit

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
It sounds like your existing suits cover the basics, so I would go for something different like a double-breasted or three piece. For something more complex like that, it makes even more sense to go bespoke, and for the top quality you'll be getting from Despos, I'm sure you'll wear it quite a bit.
+1 If you are seeing Despos, go for the three-piece because he will fit it to you unlike no other. You can have the vest for big evenings out , weddings, etc and wear it without the vest for business affairs-or hell, just wear it to work as well if you can pull it off.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
blue/grey sharkskin, Smith Woollens # 4505 Great suit for almost any occasion.

Remember to show me this one next time I see you. It sounds interesting.

OP, You're in good hands.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
+1 If you are seeing Despos, go for the three-piece because he will fit it to you unlike no other. You can have the vest for big evenings out , weddings, etc and wear it without the vest for business affairs-or hell, just wear it to work as well if you can pull it off.

+1...three piece isn't very "different" because you can always choose to leave the vest at home. Every full suit I have made with have a vest as a part of it.

gherrmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
as for cloths, i again recommend normalness. 10oz dormy/loro piana. i don't think theres much value in upgrading to the super crazies, but then again i'm young and spend a lot on booze & chicks.

not to be contrarian, but I wouldn't recommend loro piana suitings. I've had more than one bad experience with loro piana cloth wearing like tissue paper.

withstyle

Reaction score
Had my first meeting with Chris last night. not much to say besides WOW - I can tell I'm in capable and experienced hands. I learned a lot during our meeting, which lasted a few hours. As people here predicted, his advice was helpful and he guided me towards a cloth/color/style which I'm sure I'll be happy with. We went with a 3-button, solid navy sharkskin Holland and Sherry cloth. I am also having him make me a shirt which was inspired by one that prince Michael of Kent was wearing in some of the pictures posted here (blue check pattern).

For a fee, Chris also kindly agreed to put his touches on three of my other suits, including a Borrelli, an Attolini, and an Oxxford, some of which my previous tailor had worked on. Doesn't seem like Chris likes to do alterations (can't say i blame him) but I think he was ok after repeated assurances that I'm aiming to be a long-term client.

ps - he also helped make me realize I shouldn't buy another Oxxford - not my preferred "cut", so to speak

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by withstyle
Had my first meeting with Chris last night. not much to say besides WOW - I can tell I'm in capable and experienced hands. I learned a lot during our meeting, which lasted a few hours. As people here predicted, his advice was helpful and he guided me towards a cloth/color/style which I'm sure I'll be happy with. We went with a 3-button, solid navy sharkskin Holland and Sherry cloth. I am also having him make me a shirt which was inspired by one that prince Michael of Kent was wearing in some of the pictures posted here (blue check pattern). For a fee, Chris also kindly agreed to put his touches on three of my other suits, including a Borrelli, an Attolini, and an Oxxford, some of which my previous tailor had worked on. Doesn't seem like Chris likes to do alterations (can't say i blame him) but I think he was ok after repeated assurances that I'm aiming to be a long-term client. ps - he also helped make me realize I shouldn't buy another Oxxford - not my preferred "cut", so to speak
Excellent- you're in the best of hands.
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
if you do something weird, you'll probably almost never wear it. weird being DB, 3-piece, loud color or pattern, etc.
Whaddayamean weird ?!?
lol8[1].gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What ever came of this? Just curious :D

Unfortunately this Board is littered with threads where people have sought advice in this way but then cannot be bothered posting of what they chose and their experiences etc. The only comment the OP made is quite superficial.

Both a sign of idleness and quite discourteous really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads