Finamore shirt review.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

The Kiton shirts I have inspected, although nice, don't appear to be any better made than Borrelli. Furthermore, I find their patterns to be rather stodgy and insipid compared to Borrelli, and I prefer Borrelli's buttons, at least aesthetically. Do you know of any establishments in the San Francisco area that do Kiton MTM for shirts? I know Neiman's does MTM suits, but I don't think they do their shirts.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm not sure where you can get Kiton shirts in the Bay Area. Given their prices, I'd want to be measured and fitted by one of their reps or factory people, and I think you can only do that if you go to NYC. If you can do that, then a whole new world of shirtmakers opens up since you can get Kabbaz, Paris, Geneva, CEGO, and probably many other custom makers. Hopefully others with more knowledge of Kiton will chime in.

--Andre

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I don't own any Borrelli shirts, but compared to Attolini, Kiton, and Rubinacci shirts, I thought the Barba shirts were not as good. Of course, I still like them (that's why I bought them) and think the fit is one of the best on my body.

I'm not familiar with the different Barba labels (gold, black, etc.) but maybe my shirts are the lower "so-so quality" level labels [​IMG]

Like the suits, Kiton shirts are good for the superior fabrics they use in comparison to the others, like Borrelli. Kiton's collar and cuffs are very soft in comparison too.

Has anyone tried Merolla RTW? (or even beskpoke...I don't think there's been a review on Merolla shirts)

4. kcc

kcc Senior member

I don't own any Borrelli shirts, but compared to Attolini, Kiton, and Rubinacci shirts, ...

Have you personally commissioned Rubinacci shirts. Their website indicates "collars are cut on to clients." That's pretty personalized.

... Has anyone tried Merolla RTW? (or even beskpoke...I don't think there's been a review on Merolla shirts)

Recently, I was measured before departing Napoli, wish I had known abot them sooner, I'll probably return at the end of summer for fittings. Given it's atelier size, Merolla is a small operation, but oh do they have many collar styles.

5. NiFTY

NiFTY Senior member

i have a barba black label shirt and it has a hand attached collar, shoulder seams, arm holes, gussets and hand sewn button holes. i think it has the nicest buttons i have ever seen on a shirt too. i am keen to get some borrelli and finamore as well? is finamore the most slim fitting?

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Could you compare the fit of the finamore to your barba? Measurements would be great, but just a general sense would be helpful.

7. remo72tg

remo72tg Well-Known Member

8. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

I agree with the OP. I only order finamore now even though I love barba shirts, but the finamore ones have narrower across the back measurments and are slimmer in the arms. I still have to get them taken in a lot in the chest, but for the money I save who cares!?

The Barba ones are great quality as well, but they don't make them as slim as the finamore it seems as I most of the shirts seem to have a 20+ inch measurment across the back. I can't afford to take in the shoulders at risk of losing sleeve length when I'm a 37-38.

9. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

I like the look of Finamore, but their measurements across the back seem a little extreme. Barba fit me very well (the white label ones could be a little trimmer, but the black label shirts are great; sadly, they've become a little hard to find). Anyone else have issues with just how narrow Finamore are cut?

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Buonamassa is Barba's toplabel and as far as I've heard is a completely handmade shirt. I don't have one, or inspected one for myself so I can't say for sure. Finamore has differing quality labels as well. Ranging from so/so to very well made.

But all in all, Barba (gold label) are my favourite shirts. Attolini is better made, but so much more expensive than I care to spend on a shirt right now.

I just bought two Matuozzo RTW shirts from shopthefinest.com and I love them as well. Best $139 a shirt i've ever spend. Even though there is not that much handwork on them. These shirts make me very curious about matuozzo's 100% handwork/bespoke shirts.

Do the OTR Matuozzo shirts from Ian have handwork?
    I just purchased a Neopolitan brand from Yoox, I will take some pics and post a review once I get them, I know it has exstensive handwork and the brand has never been mentioned on this board.
    Best part of it is they are $60.00 (well 57.00 and free shipping with the code) right now, but very limited in sizes and colors.

11. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I am big fan of finamore napoli, I have also been buying borrelli mtm for a couple of years but from I have been told, borrelli is no longer making mtm shirts, at least not for the time being. I am still waiting to receive my finamore mtm shirts but the fitting experience in nyc was very nice.

12. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

how much was the Finamore MTM? 500+ i bet

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

There are waisted shirts, but it's hard to do waist suppression in a shirt! It's true, though, that some well-cut (if you're into that sort of thing) Neapolitan shirts manage to combine a tight waist with flatteringly 'buffed up' upper torso and shoulders.

14. Cravate Royale

Cravate Royale Active Member

Finamore shirts are available at what used to be the Borrelli store in San Francisco and at Wilkes Bashford. They also will make what you want with a wide variety of collar choices. Kiton shirts are also available in San Francisco at Neimans, Wilkes Bashford, Saks and Barney's

15. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Is Borrelli even making RTW shirts anymore or are they only selling Finamore now?