• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finamore shirt review.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think any of the mainstream OTR Neopolitan shirts are worth full price, and are of variable quality. On my Finamores, a few of the button shankings are unraveling after 1 wash. Ian at Shop The Finest has good prices for them, so that may be a good route to go if you fit their OTR models. And while not a mainstream source, and very expensive, I've been told that Kiton have truly exclusive fabrics (which is very unusual and rare, unlike custom-woven wool for suits), and, like everything else they do, I wouldn't doubt that their construction quality are heads and shoulders above the usual Neopolitan suspects (Borrelli, etc.), so they may be worth checking out.

--Andre
The Kiton shirts I have inspected, although nice, don't appear to be any better made than Borrelli. Furthermore, I find their patterns to be rather stodgy and insipid compared to Borrelli, and I prefer Borrelli's buttons, at least aesthetically. Do you know of any establishments in the San Francisco area that do Kiton MTM for shirts? I know Neiman's does MTM suits, but I don't think they do their shirts.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you can get Kiton shirts in the Bay Area. Given their prices, I'd want to be measured and fitted by one of their reps or factory people, and I think you can only do that if you go to NYC. If you can do that, then a whole new world of shirtmakers opens up since you can get Kabbaz, Paris, Geneva, CEGO, and probably many other custom makers. Hopefully others with more knowledge of Kiton will chime in.

--Andre

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So-so quality of Barba shirt???? That's the first time I've ever heard that said, over many discussions involving shirts. I think most people place them in the same range as Borrelli.
I don't own any Borrelli shirts, but compared to Attolini, Kiton, and Rubinacci shirts, I thought the Barba shirts were not as good. Of course, I still like them (that's why I bought them) and think the fit is one of the best on my body.

I'm not familiar with the different Barba labels (gold, black, etc.) but maybe my shirts are the lower "so-so quality" level labels
laugh.gif

The Kiton shirts I have inspected, although nice, don't appear to be any better made than Borrelli. Furthermore, I find their patterns to be rather stodgy and insipid compared to Borrelli, and I prefer Borrelli's buttons, at least aesthetically
Like the suits, Kiton shirts are good for the superior fabrics they use in comparison to the others, like Borrelli. Kiton's collar and cuffs are very soft in comparison too.

Has anyone tried Merolla RTW? (or even beskpoke...I don't think there's been a review on Merolla shirts)

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don't own any Borrelli shirts, but compared to Attolini, Kiton, and Rubinacci shirts, ...

Have you personally commissioned Rubinacci shirts. Their website indicates "collars are cut on to clients." That's pretty personalized.

Originally Posted by Dragon
... Has anyone tried Merolla RTW? (or even beskpoke...I don't think there's been a review on Merolla shirts)

Recently, I was measured before departing Napoli, wish I had known abot them sooner, I'll probably return at the end of summer for fittings. Given it's atelier size, Merolla is a small operation, but oh do they have many collar styles.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i have a barba black label shirt and it has a hand attached collar, shoulder seams, arm holes, gussets and hand sewn button holes. i think it has the nicest buttons i have ever seen on a shirt too. i am keen to get some borrelli and finamore as well? is finamore the most slim fitting?

contaygious

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I only order finamore now even though I love barba shirts, but the finamore ones have narrower across the back measurments and are slimmer in the arms. I still have to get them taken in a lot in the chest, but for the money I save who cares!?

The Barba ones are great quality as well, but they don't make them as slim as the finamore it seems as I most of the shirts seem to have a 20+ inch measurment across the back. I can't afford to take in the shoulders at risk of losing sleeve length when I'm a 37-38.

literasyme

Reaction score
I like the look of Finamore, but their measurements across the back seem a little extreme. Barba fit me very well (the white label ones could be a little trimmer, but the black label shirts are great; sadly, they've become a little hard to find). Anyone else have issues with just how narrow Finamore are cut?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Buonamassa is Barba's toplabel and as far as I've heard is a completely handmade shirt. I don't have one, or inspected one for myself so I can't say for sure. Finamore has differing quality labels as well. Ranging from so/so to very well made.

But all in all, Barba (gold label) are my favourite shirts. Attolini is better made, but so much more expensive than I care to spend on a shirt right now.

I just bought two Matuozzo RTW shirts from shopthefinest.com and I love them as well. Best $139 a shirt i've ever spend. Even though there is not that much handwork on them. These shirts make me very curious about matuozzo's 100% handwork/bespoke shirts.

Do the OTR Matuozzo shirts from Ian have handwork?
I just purchased a Neopolitan brand from Yoox, I will take some pics and post a review once I get them, I know it has exstensive handwork and the brand has never been mentioned on this board.
Best part of it is they are $60.00 (well 57.00 and free shipping with the code) right now, but very limited in sizes and colors.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am big fan of finamore napoli, I have also been buying borrelli mtm for a couple of years but from I have been told, borrelli is no longer making mtm shirts, at least not for the time being. I am still waiting to receive my finamore mtm shirts but the fitting experience in nyc was very nice.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are waisted shirts, but it's hard to do waist suppression in a shirt! It's true, though, that some well-cut (if you're into that sort of thing) Neapolitan shirts manage to combine a tight waist with flatteringly 'buffed up' upper torso and shoulders.

Cravate Royale

Reaction score
Finamore shirts are available at what used to be the Borrelli store in San Francisco and at Wilkes Bashford. They also will make what you want with a wide variety of collar choices. Kiton shirts are also available in San Francisco at Neimans, Wilkes Bashford, Saks and Barney's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads