• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get it about the Journeyman and I can perhaps see myself with one some day. I’ve never been a backpack kind of guy though but that may change one day. We will see.

I do like the classic look of he journeyman - especially in navy. Or perhaps green. Not a fan of the tan backpack for some reason. Prob because if I were to go with it, I’d want to be bit more low-key for business travel.

Yeah I am not a fan of the TAN Journeyman either. Otter Green is just about right & ive seen it patina pretty nicely too. I'm just a little worried about how the leather wears. How's your leather looking now @Soletrane ?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are a bad influence. I should join Anonymous Filsonholics.

Considering buying a 256 here on BF sale. Why? I'm just making up lame excuses. Such as tired of taking out my school-stuff when using my bag outside school. And it will make my 257 feel less lonely.

Ottergreen or tan? Argh... can't decide.
HAHA I say go with Otter Green but that may seem fairly obvious why lol

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I think the Small Pullman has more capacity and the twill. I see it as a second or third bag for the Filsonista. It's a more specialized bag like a 258 or a compartment bag.

The 48 is more the classic shoulder bag/carry-on that every guy can appreciate. You could give it to your brother for a milestone birthday and know he will use it on his next trip as it's practical, good-looking and well designed.

I think I saw the 48 in the accompanying photo in an article in MensHealth on travel gear.

LOL it's surprising how the 48hour has become so universally loved on here, it reminds me of the zippered tote in that regard.

My only gripe (besides the $475 price) with it is the name; 48 Hour. Why do they call it that when you can clearly fit more than a couple of days worth (especially with the aid of Eagle Creek)?

Last edited:

Friday

Reaction score
Does anyone have "aged" photos of any Filson bags in dark brown? I picked up a small duffle in dark brown and am debating on whether or not to keep it since I'm not sure how it'll look with use. Any thoughts or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I agree. I find myself leaning more and more towards the Journeyman, but I'm not willing to settle yet for a 3rd edition (or w/e edition they're on at the moment). A nice backpack will compliment either of my current Filson's. Instead of carrying a #257 & a #256 at once...now that is just weird lol

It's interesting how quickly Filson decontented the Journeyman. It was only out a little while before they switched much of the twill to tin and reduced the amount of leather.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have "aged" photos of any Filson bags in dark brown? I picked up a small duffle in dark brown and am debating on whether or not to keep it since I'm not sure how it'll look with use. Any thoughts or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Since Brown is a relatively new color for Filson, introduced within the last decade, there's not much I could find in terms of Patina. This is because most people who opted for brown wanted to avoid the patina/worn look. Basically it fades and shows a little denim transfer in the right light. I'd go with Otter Green personally. Besides my name it's a great color for hiding stains but will still age wonderfully and fade to an almost dirty tan like patina. It also gives you that quintessential Filson look without screaming it (like TAN does), if that's what you're going for.

The pictures below feature pilled leather, denim transfer & faded rugged twill.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how quickly Filson decontented the Journeyman. It was only out a little while before they switched much of the twill to tin and reduced the amount of leather.

Haha true but we've come to expect that from good ol' Bedrock. Tell me something did the price decrease or increase since they switched up the materials?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am not a fan of the TAN Journeyman either. Otter Green is just about right & ive seen it patina pretty nicely too. I'm just a little worried about how the leather wears. How's your leather looking now @Soletrane ?

I think it looks pretty good (2nd photo) except for that one section where the underside shows wear from one-strapping (1st photo). Maybe from my nail abrading when I put on or remove the strap on my shoulder.

It doesn't bother me that much anymore as this is very much a bag I enjoy from a purely practical perspective. I put it up there with the 48 that as one of the best designed newer Filson bags.

View attachment 880287
IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_5121.JPG

View attachment 880288

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good (2nd photo) except for that one section where the underside shows wear from one-strapping (1st photo). Maybe from my nail abrading when I put on or remove the strap on my shoulder.

It doesn't bother me that much anymore as this is very much a bag I enjoy from a purely practical perspective. I put it up there with the 48 that as one of the best designed newer Filson bags.

View attachment 880287 View attachment 880289

View attachment 880286

View attachment 880288

HAHA well that isn't surprising. Why would they lower the price when they use cheaper material and less of the good stuff (leather and Twill).

That is not as bad as i remember it looking, the topside of the leather looks pretty good. I wonder what they would do for you if you sent it in for repair, since the leather is sewn on to the straps. I would hope they would repair rather than replace.

Also another worry I would have for the 48 Hour is those handy-dandy front zipper pockets. I remember @mgrennier saying that his first 24 Hour bag had an issue with those zippers tearing away from the fabric, not long after buying. I only say this because both the 24 Hour and 48 Hour share material and design in the front pockets

Friday

Reaction score
Since Brown is a relatively new color for Filson, introduced within the last decade, there's not much I could find in terms of Patina. This is because most people who opted for brown wanted to avoid the patina/worn look. Basically it fades and shows a little denim transfer in the right light. I'd go with Otter Green personally. Besides my name it's a great color for hiding stains but will still age wonderfully and fade to an almost dirty tan like patina. It also gives you that quintessential Filson look without screaming it (like TAN does), if that's what you're going for.

The pictures below feature pilled leather, denim transfer & faded rugged twill.

View attachment 880282

View attachment 880283
Thanks for the insight, this is really helpful. I'm definitely a bigger fan of O Green, but I got a great deal on brown so I went for it. If I decided to keep it I'll post pictures over time.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHA well that isn't surprising. Why would they lower the price when they use cheaper material and less of the good stuff (leather and Twill).

That is not as bad as i remember it looking, the topside of the leather looks pretty good. I wonder what they would do for you if you sent it in for repair, since the leather is sewn on to the straps. I would hope they would repair rather than replace.

Also another worry I would have for the 48 Hour is those handy-dandy front zipper pockets. I remember @mgrennier saying that his first 24 Hour bag had an issue with those zippers tearing away from the fabric, not long after buying. I only say this because both the 24 Hour and 48 Hour share material and design in the front pockets
True about the front zippers. Big difference is that the 24/72 hour saw daily use (and zipper pulling) While the 48 hour zippers won’t get nearly the same amount of use.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GzStudio - what is the build date on your 48hr duffle? Does it have leather pull tabs and inside end pockets? I suspect there was a revision where the leather and possibly inside pockets were deleted. Mines 01/15 and has both.

Love your pic!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads