• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread first introduced me to the concept of packing cubes. I bought several sets of Eagle Creek packing cubes and have been using them in duffles and travel bags since.

I now also have a 70081 Large Carry-On and I wanted to get some opinions on using the packing cubes when you have straps. How has that worked for others? Anybody using packing cubes with their 70081 or Pullmans? Or when you have straps do you skip the packing cubes?

Thank you,

WJR

Congratulations on the Large Twill Carry-On. What color did you score and is it a Motto Tag?

Personally I have not used my newly acquired Talon Pullman yet (waiting to condition the leather with Horween VSC), but I do plan on using my Eagle Creek Packing Cubes to streamline the loudout and separate from my laundry (towels and sheets).

WJR

Reaction score
Congratulations on the Large Twill Carry-On. What color did you score and is it a Motto Tag?

Personally I have not used my newly acquired Talon Pullman yet (waiting to condition the leather with Horween VSC), but I do plan on using my Eagle Creek Packing Cubes to streamline the loudout and separate from my laundry (towels and sheets).
Well as it turns out I have ended up with a motto tag in OG and the next tag in Navy. Interesting that they are one month apart in production. I have taken the Navy on one trip and did not like the way it loaded out with packing cubes. So that was the genesis of my question.

Here are some pics:

Also, have you moved on from Obenauf’s? Is the Horween VSC better for talon era leather?

WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well as it turns out I have ended up with a motto tag in OG and the next tag in Navy. Interesting that they are one month apart in production. I have taken the Navy on one trip and did not like the way it loaded out with packing cubes. So that was the genesis of my question.

Here are some pics:

Also, have you moved on from Obenauf’s? Is the Horween VSC better for talon era leather?

WJR

They are both beautiful examples of what Filson can do when they stop trying so hard to please everyone. Thanks for sharing! I keep forgetting how long Bedrock Filson waited to kill the motto tag after their takeover; almost 2 years (January 2012).

Sorry the packing cubes didn’t work out, with my MTB I had much better luck I guess. Have you thought about acquiring another size cube?

As for Horween VSC, I have not yet sampled it on Talon Era leather to know if it replaces the trusty Obenauf’s. One thing that scares me always using that stuff is how it tends to darken the leather, which is something I’d like to avoid on the early Wickett and Craig variety if possible.

If it doesn’t work, that’s fine, this year I will be adding my first pair of Nicks Handmade boots to my sparse collection. I’m going for Horween leather, so the VSC will live to see another day.

Last edited:

tad9403

Reaction score
Went back a few pages on this thread trying to hunt down some bags and if anyone was trying to get rid of some they may not use much anymore. Seems like this group appreciates the older and discontinued models more than the new Filson stuff.

Anyways, I’m on the hunt for a smaller bag to pair with my Otter Green Medium Duffle 220. Looking for any of the bags listed:

Otter Green Medium Travel Bag #246
Otter Green Small Duffle #222
Otter Small Pullman - #???
Otter 48 Hr - #???

Preferably in that order and not all at once, probably just one bag. And the older the better.

So just wanted to post and see if by chance anyone has one stored away that doesn’t get much use anymore!

Thanks!

WJR

Reaction score
They are both beautiful examples of what Filson can do when they stop trying so hard to please everyone. Thanks for sharing! I keep forgetting how long Bedrock Filson waited to kill the motto tag after their takeover; almost 2 years (January 2012).

Sorry the packing cubes didn’t work out, with my MTB I had much better luck I guess. Have you thought about acquiring another size cube?

As for Horween VSC, I have not yet sampled it on Talon Era leather to know if it replaces the trusty Obenauf’s. One thing that scares me always using that stuff is how it tends to darken the leather, which is something I’d like to avoid on the early Wickett and Craig variety if possible.

If it doesn’t work, that’s fine, this year I will be adding my first pair of Nicks Handmade boots to my sparse collection. I’m going for Horween leather, so the VSC will live to see another day.
Thanks OMG. Really like this bag. I agree with your suggestion. I have a pretty good system with the packing cubes and duffles or TBs. I need to experiment with the different packing cubes with the 70081.

Have a 2-3 day work trip next week and will take the time to really see what works and report back.

I hear you on the Obenaufs and Horween VSC. Curious did you need to condition the leather on your fantastic 258? The color of that leather is incredible and my favorite.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks OMG. Really like this bag. I agree with your suggestion. I have a pretty good system with the packing cubes and duffles or TBs. I need to experiment with the different packing cubes with the 70081.

Have a 2-3 day work trip next week and will take the time to really see what works and report back.

I hear you on the Obenaufs and Horween VSC. Curious did you need to condition the leather on your fantastic 258? The color of that leather is incredible and my favorite.

Great! I’m envious, i can’t even remember the last time I took a multiple day excursion with my Filson’s. Probably back in August 2021 when I drove to Iowa.

Thanks! I’m also a sucker for the first edition chestnut leather of the YKK era. Although not usually on the Otter Greens. The way mine looks offers the perfect balance I think. I have yet to condition the leather. I don’t think it really is in need. Maybe the VSC will answer the call. The strap is not original, this one is from my mid 90’s 264.

01B19C4D-F984-4C3B-B7FC-4F4C8BE0564B.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a repeat offender of Filson and Feeting...Here's to reviving one of my favorite talking points next to Filson spotting in cinema and the wild :lol:

Filson and Feet 1 .png

This one is a double negative...Feet and blurry listing photos.

Filson and Feet 2 .png

Last edited:

originalhype

Reaction score
New latest purchase for $100. The filson briefcase 257 in black. The black colorway reminds me of a black denim jeans. Slow fades as you can tell.
This model seems like the last year of the filson briefcase as the inside is main of lightweight twill.

The tan and green are the most popular. but the black is something else. Again, it reminds me of black jeans fading.

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

FilsonDude

Reaction score
New latest purchase for $100. The filson briefcase 257 in black. The black colorway reminds me of a black denim jeans. Slow fades as you can tell.
This model seems like the last year of the filson briefcase as the inside is main of lightweight twill.

The tan and green are the most popular. but the black is something else. Again, it reminds me of black jeans fading.

View attachment 2010603
View attachment 2010605

View attachment 2010607
View attachment 2010609
View attachment 2010611
View attachment 2010613
View attachment 2010615
All Black is sharp!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interesting finds from the interwebs at the Bay

Why do certain sellers put the tags back on when they intend on listing as 'pre-owned"? Still though, it's in great condition for something knocking on 17 years old (1106 Build Date)

Filson 266 .png

What's going on with this leather here?

Filson Wacky Leather .png

Same question. Looks like they outsourced a replacement strap.

Filson Wacky Leather 2 .png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads