• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea - but I'd never buy new Patagonia stuff as they're obviously using a lighter weight nylon - I measured it with my Starrett digital micrometer calipers the other day. Their stuff from 1988 was 0.00004 thick and their new stuff (2014 and later) has moved to 0.000003 thick. Plus, those plastic buckles they're using now? Not sure what happened but they're obviously using a different, cheaper kind of resin (probably from Taiwan) for their buckles.

And don't even get me started on the padless vs. padded straps. Oh man

(KIDDING)
Love it. I agree. It all went south when the Synchilla stopped being made from small furry animals and now from recycled plastic bottles

:)

windriver

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in the latest discussion of Vermilyea Pelle (and its close relationship to Filson); here is a thorough review by one of own members here (with a #257 and #240).

Is this the green bag or the Ranger tan? Hard for my eyes to tell!

GzStudio

Reaction score
This is an interesting bag? No?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/496067245/mens-leather-briefcase-waxed-canvas?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=leather briefcase&ref=sc_gallery-1-8&plkey=ce7b3345534787dabbccd92b7a180e87ded49d33:496067245

I think I am going to go with the Vermilyea Pelle - just deciding on color. Then I will hold out for a 257 to give me some flexibility on size.

what kind of 257 are you looking for?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my fellow Tote appreciators...which is now almost everyone here lol (myself included)

cartoon.png

windriver

Reaction score
Hi all -

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone. I reached a decision and have a Vermilyea Pelle standard briefcase in-bound in a few weeks. I appreciate all the advice and discussion from everyone here - I have learned much. I look forward adding a larger Filson for longer trips soon.

Cheers

IMG_1892.jpg

KruiserIV

Reaction score
Actually, I've been calling stores to see if anyone has them in stock near me to check out in person.

Only place I found so far is Filson in NYC, but i'm in the middle of Long Island, so its a bit of a drive. Thats what I need though. Gotta see them in person before I order one, I'll know which is for me when I have them in hand.

Yea, trying to figure out just how much bigger the 258 is from the other two. From pics I've seen so far, it seems its only really the outer zippered pocket that makes the bag that much larger than the form factor of the 256/257.

I'm leaning to the 257 so far, but I'm liking the organization of that outer pocket. Hey, part of the fun is searching for "the" bag anyways, right?

Thanks for the help, and hopefully as I go further towards more recent pages in the thread, the pics might be more available.

It's just funny though. every time I read something like "here are some great pics of a comparison between the two bags....", it ends up with a little box below with an X that says error lol.

And, they are probably some amazing pictures of some great bags. Not even 256/257 related, but even other ones that i didn't know I needed yet lol.

Uhhh, frustrating. Glad to be a part of the community and love reading everything so far. Really wish I found out about Filson sooner.

I should also add, I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with the newer leather or products Filson has, I honestly never held a Filson product before so I don't know. But from what I read about the different bridle leathers used, and the type of guy I am and how I appreciate good leather, it just seems that the older stuff is more what I am after.

Thanks again.

dave
I think the 258 (18L) is 3ish liters larger than the 256.

Davey13

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You're not really that late to the party, as I joined the forum last year and read through it around last July. Those pics were mostly gone then too. Keep reading as it will pick up eventually and you will see that reflected in pictures you can actually see. Back then there was a lot of flash sale banter (which is obviously useless now).
This link might help if you haven't seen it already. I started off with a #70258 and only kept it for a week, as it was way too bulky for my daily carry. I think it works great if you're either a doctor,lawyer or an author though. The #257 (or #70257) is more than enough room and has much greater interior organization than the #256/70256 and with the exception of that front pocket on the #258/70258, has better organization then that too.

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/filson-briefcases-256-257-258.109682/

View attachment 967104

Hey, thanks! Makes me feel a bit better now. So, I did see some of those pics already but that thread helps out for sure. In the picture you attached here, it almost looks like the 258 is just a tad bit more slim than the 257, which obviously isn't the case looking at the measurements. Since I can't get all 3 right now lol, i'm more between the 257 and 258, although it scares me how many people say the 258 is that much more bulky in every day use. Thanks for the help so far!

Davey13

Reaction score
I think the 258 (18L) is 3ish liters larger than the 256.

Thank you. You Don't happen to have a similar comparison of liters for the 257 vs 258 do you?
But to be honest, whenever I've bought bags in the past, I always look at the liter capacity, and just can't get an idea in my head of liters in terms of space.

I kinda picture an extra 3 liter soda bottle being able to fit, which can't possibly be that much of a difference.

Ah, why can't I be rich so I can buy like 5 or 6 of these bags, then I wouldn't have to worry. Oh well, the research continues....There are some others I'm eyeing up for the future though, like the sportsman bag and a few others...

Last edited:

Davey13

Reaction score
Also, just wanted to add......Coming from bags with more external exterior pockets for organization, and even some with an Admin Panel pocket (the 258 kinda has this exterior pocket), I was looking on google images of some "purse bag organizers" and got some pretty cool ideas. It would be nice to drop something like these inside the more open bag like a Filson.

But, the more I read and appreciate the Filson ruggedness, the more that idea seams sacrilegious. Why would I buy a nice rugged twill and leather beautiful Filson bag if I'm going to drop in a damn nylon piece of crap/not matching in design at all, type of thing to change the bag. Might as well look at other bags then, right?

I feel that for me personally, I will just be able to re-organize placement of things in my head, and will eventually just get used to the Filson type of setup. Its just different for me really, nothing more. Even most backpacks have the pen and miscellaneous pocket on the outside, apart from the main cavernous pockets.

But, with Filson, its almost more like the smaller things go directly in the middle of the bag, in between the books or laptop or whatever. So, just a different type of organization I suppose. Hey, I like changing it up anyways, there is probably some negatives to having my small nic-nac pocket (usually with expensive items anyway) being on the outside where someone can just unzip and steal something if you fall asleep on a train or something....

Anyone feel similar? Or different? I would love to hear some general concept type thoughts on your opinions of how these bags (probably 257-ish type bags) handle your smaller Admin panel type stuff?

Again, I tend to think about the pockets and what I now need to buy to fill them lol. I've always been like that. New bag means new pocket knife and small flashlight just to keep in that bag, some new pens and accessories for the smaller pockets, etc. Even a nice new leather type of notebook/journal (still to research and find) for notes that goes well with the feel of the rugged Filson feel....

And, usually this could end up going further in more of a general change up for me. Perhaps a new wallet, watch.....I don't know! It could go anywhere!!!
(actually that reminds me, i keep forgetting to drop of my redwings for new soles since mine finally ripped through lol, i know, unrelated)

Yea......I'm that guy I guess......

just loving this thread so far though, and real glad I found this forum. Big trouble for the old wallet though...

dave

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You Don't happen to have a similar comparison of liters for the 257 vs 258 do you?
But to be honest, whenever I've bought bags in the past, I always look at the liter capacity, and just can't get an idea in my head of liters in terms of space.

I kinda picture an extra 3 liter soda bottle being able to fit, which can't possibly be that much of a difference.

Ah, why can't I be rich so I can buy like 5 or 6 of these bags, then I wouldn't have to worry. Oh well, the research continues....There are some others I'm eyeing up for the future though, like the sportsman bag and a few others...
Don't be fooled. The 258 is MUCH bigger than the 257, which is significantly larger than the 256. This is why people are suggesting seeing the bags in person to make an informed decision.

Davey13

Reaction score
Don't be fooled. The 258 is MUCH bigger than the 257, which is significantly larger than the 256. This is why people are suggesting seeing the bags in person to make an informed decision.

yea, gotcha. Thanks. I'm going to take a nice trip to the city this week hopefully, and be able to handle them in person.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although it would be really hard to see a #70257 in person, no? Unless of course you are you or GZ :fonz:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur