• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
LOL why didn't you just say that from the start? No trickery though, like taking a Shoulder strap off a Talon just to prove the point HAHA. That would be a first seeing it as I've stated that I've never seen a YKK with a stock un-padded shoulder strap before in all my years researching. That's gotta mean something I stink

I guess I didn't recognize the problem. I will see what I can find, either in sold listings, or, actual at home

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't get the actual link yet, but here is a bag I sold earlier this year. Ykk 258 with unpadded strap.....

http://www.fashiondivaly.com/filson...ter-briefcase-bag-258-great-wear-filson-bags/

Can't argue with that I may have to concede here. You'd think I was on a debate team at one point in my life :rotflmao:

The pad-less strap looks in-tune with that of the leather on the rest of the bag. So it's more than likely not a transplant (cough cough @mgrennier and his pad-less strap on his bedrock 256). Any idea on the year on the build tag?

"That's gotta mean something I stink" HAHA you quoted my post before I had time to edit it...damn you lol

GzStudio

Reaction score
that bag was from 0704. here are some others I found on my phone....
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_4623.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing them. I think it's safe to say that in 2007 they phased out of the pad-less shoulder strap completely. I still think that Filson is exploiting nostalgia in their Sportsman re-creation, because of the simple fact that the vast majority of the Sportsman series (266 & 70266) were sold with the padded shoulder straps. I still have yet to see a Sportsman 266 with the pad-less shoulder strap. I'm definitely not saying that it doesn't exist, clearly you've proven the possibility, I just I have yet to see one in my long research of the brand.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, refresh my memory - are you trying to ascertain the existence of a padless strap 266 to satisfy intellectual curiosity - or because you want to buy an early 266 with one?

GzStudio

Reaction score
I guarantee that the 266 started as a pad-less strap. even stock photos from filson show it as such when it was introduced.....

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for clarifying. Will test it right away...Nope. But I can see that happen if loaded a bit off-balance, there is a slight tendency. Never happened to me though. Have not even thought about it.

View attachment 865663

MTB is my vote for the next Filson "reissue". The boxiness cuts both ways - it also makes it very easy to pack compared to my small duffle. And the 4 pockets are useful on the road.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTB is my vote for the next Filson "reissue". The boxiness cuts both ways - it also makes it very easy to pack compared to my small duffle. And the 4 pockets are useful on the road.
I once owned a medium travel bag - it was my first “travel” bag from Filson. As OtterMeanGreen has commented, my biggest complaint was that, when full, it was like carrying a cardboard box with a strap. It did flip a few times but usually only when picking it up - not so much once you started to carry it.

I thought it was damn near a perfect form factor (I usually use the Eagle Creek folders and packing cubes and they fit like a dream). I say “damn near” because I thought it just hung too far away from the body, which I didn’t like. I was super excited when the Meridian came out because it had a bit more of a hip-hugging form factor - I bought it and then sold it within a few months. I didn’t love the look of it and didn’t think it had the classic Filson look.

I now carry the medium duffle which I think is phenomenal but I do miss the shape of the meridian and the MTB. Perhaps Filson will get smart (Otter - is that too much to ask from the Bedrock boys?) and combine the two - heavy twill bag in the shape of the meridian but more classic like the Medium duffle or the small Pullman.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re on to something. The 48 hour is close - would love to see a 48 hour/MTB combo-type bag. In other words, a MTB but just a bit skinnier. With heavy twill.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that the 266 started as a pad-less strap. even stock photos from filson show it as such when it was introduced.....
Again I'm not arguing that Filson. used the pad-less shoulder strap for the #266 as MARKETING STOCK PHOTOS...clearly judging by your pictures they did. My main argument is that I doubt that they sold many at all to the public, considering the proximity of when it was released and when they switched to the padded. I have not found one in all my research (among the general public), and that's quite alarming when you think of the main purpose of the Sportsman; to be used in the field through a plethora of activities and professions. So by that viewpoint the internet should be flooded with pictures of the general public using their heavily patinated Sportsman's, some with pad-less and some without. But there aren't any at all, just heavily patinated #266's with you guessed it...Padded Shoulder straps. Like the 256, 257, 258, duffel; the Sportsman was a beloved Filson, so I should be seeing a multitude of various Sportsman's (I realize it wasn't around as long as all of those other Filson's but still it was one of the most popular modern day Filson's.)

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, refresh my memory - are you trying to ascertain the existence of a padless strap 266 to satisfy intellectual curiosity - or because you want to buy an early 266 with one?

As one of my main arguments from a while ago, I'm trying to figure out why Filson all of a sudden is offering the Pad-less shoulder strap on a bag that at the very least, was hardly offered one. Maybe 15 months at best, out of it's 9-10 years in production. For some reason I find that annoyingly desperate. It's exploitation of nostalgia to a mass audience who probably doesn't even get the reference. These are the same new-filonites that also don't get (or probably care) about the decline in leather or quality of materials, that us Talonados have certainly noticed.

Also why is it almost twice the price when it was first released, especially when you consider the cheaper materials used to make it (being smaller and made with a different weight twill).

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once owned a medium travel bag - it was my first “travel” bag from Filson. As OtterMeanGreen has commented, my biggest complaint was that, when full, it was like carrying a cardboard box with a strap. It did flip a few times but usually only when picking it up - not so much once you started to carry it.

I thought it was damn near a perfect form factor (I usually use the Eagle Creek folders and packing cubes and they fit like a dream). I say “damn near” because I thought it just hung too far away from the body, which I didn’t like. I was super excited when the Meridian came out because it had a bit more of a hip-hugging form factor - I bought it and then sold it within a few months. I didn’t love the look of it and didn’t think it had the classic Filson look.

I now carry the medium duffle which I think is phenomenal but I do miss the shape of the meridian and the MTB. Perhaps Filson will get smart (Otter - is that too much to ask from the Bedrock boys?) and combine the two - heavy twill bag in the shape of the meridian but more classic like the Medium duffle or the small Pullman.

Thank you for finally coming to my rescue and backing me up, you sir deserve an award for never leaving a fallen commrade behind. I knew I wasn't crazy and hearing things (can't describe that other stuff I've been hearing lately though lol). HAHA, I think those were the words "It was like carrying a cardboard box with a strap", that prompted me to say to @GzStudio way back when, that I wanted to pursue unearthing a pre-bedrock hardly used Otter Green 266, and I so found one!

I don't think you're asking for much there.....just don't expect it to be made with 22 OZ heavy twill like the former. I wonder how heavy "made with 100% rugged twill" even is?

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha I guess having said all that my main argument is a more befitting one to my name. WHERE IS THE OTTER GREEN VERSION?!?!?! Seriously, you'd think they want to honor a color that is as old as the TAN. It's not like they're short on colors, as they have once offered it in black, brown, tan, otter green and probably some special edition shades over the course.

Last edited:

conqueror

Reaction score
i bought my (black) 256 almost about 2.5yrs ago now and have used it on every work day since. i took the shoulder strap off on day one though - am i doing it wrong?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads