• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarrisonTran

Reaction score
Anyone have a 22 oz fabric bag and a tin cloth bag that they could comment on regarding the different feel, wear, and toughness?

Triplock

Reaction score
Yes, I have both. The tin cloth version is ok but greasy feeling and the insides flop around loosely. I prefer the canvas version. Not sure about wear but I would assume that heavier canvas would last longer. The tin cloth version is lighter and looks great though. Canvas is stiffer and feels dry compared to tin cloth.

HarrisonTran

Reaction score
Yes, I have both. The tin cloth version is ok but greasy feeling and the insides flop around loosely. I prefer the canvas version. Not sure about wear but I would assume that heavier canvas would last longer. The tin cloth version is lighter and looks great though. Canvas is stiffer and feels dry compared to tin cloth.
Thank you, would you happen to have any of their wool fabric material products too?

Thinking of whether to grab a tin cloth field bag, wool field bag or stick to the canvas. I have a canvas brief and know the quality of the canvas is top notch.

Triplock

Reaction score
Thank you, would you happen to have any of their wool fabric material products too?

Thinking of whether to grab a tin cloth field bag, wool field bag or stick to the canvas. I have a canvas brief and know the quality of the canvas is top notch.

No wool here. I have a canvas rifle case and tin cloth caps and hunting vests, etc. For a bag the canvas suits me really well and I doubt I'd buy another one that wasn't canvas or leather. You should get other opinions on that though. Aside from the feel of the tin cloth, I definitely don't like the insides flopping around with zero support. But it's supposed to be lighter in weight so that's one of the tradeoffs.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a rucksack in wool. Looks great and gets a lot of compliments, but I'm not convinced it'll hold up anywhere near as well as the canvas. Time will tell. It's also pretty hot on my back when wearing in the warmer months.

The main compartment is reinforced on the inside, but the pockets are not. Not sure if that's consistent across all the wool products.

My advice is to stick with the canvas.

wquiles

Reaction score
I got to visit my customer in Seattle this week, and I also got an opportunity to visit both the Filson Outlet, and Filson's signature store/factory.

Outlet Store address:
Shoppes at Burlington
Address: 448 Fashion Way, Burlington, WA 98233
Phone: 360-503-1897
Hours: Mon-Sat 10-8

Filson store (and factory):
ADDRESS:
1555 4th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134
206-622-3147
STORE HOURS:
Monday - Friday, 10 am - 5 pm
Saturday, 9 am - 5 pm
Sunday, 12 pm - 5 pm

First, the outlet store:

Please note that the outlet store is a freaking LONG way from Seattle. It is more than 1 hour North of Seattle. It was raining here in Seattle (common, I know), so it was nearly 1 and 1/2 hours each way. I would not do the trip again, except that the same outlet strip also has the Pendleton outlet store, the Eddie Bauer outlet store, and a few other ones.

If you only care about the Filson one, since it is a relatively small store (about 1/3 of the size of the Seattle store), they have limited sizes/colors, so I would call first and ask about the particular item and price. Yes, pricing was good, at about 1/3 off or so, depending on the reason (returns, defects, etc.).

Now, the main store, that was great:

As expected, they pretty much have every size/color in stock, so you can try on pretty much anything you want. I showed up with my vintage mackinaw cruiser, and the very nice (and tall), older gentleman instantly recognized my older cruiser as one with the 26oz wool. I compared it to the new ones (24oz), and you "can" tell the slight difference in the thickness of the wool. Not a big deal, but noticeable - the right-most cruiser here in the photo is my vintage 26oz:

I wear a size 40 cruiser, but was debating if the size 38 or size 40 vest would be a better fit, so I got to try them both. Sure enough the size 38 fits me best - closer to the body, for warmth. The size 40 "bunched" up when I put my cruiser on - definitely one size too big.

I was also very curious about trying out the "Seattle Fit" garments, and my sales guy was extremely accommodating showing me everything. I tried the "equivalent" to my vintage size 40 (a medium), and yes, on the chest, I could tell that it was slightly more trim, but not quite a full size difference - meaning it was like trying on a size 38 or 39. On the arms, the fit was also less "generous" than with my vintage cruiser, so I suspect a heavy/thick sweater that would fit me on my cruiser might be a little bit tight on the Seattle Fit. Note the Seattle Fit garments don't come in the exact size (36, 38, 40, 42, etc.) but rather Small, Med, Large, etc..

Since in Texas our winters are generally mild (not this year!), I have been wanting a lighter wool coat, so I got to try the wonderful Wool Cape Coat, which is a lighter weight wool - it also "looks" smoother, more dressy than the more "raw" wool on my cruiser. I tried a medium in black, and I liked it a lot. My wife is getting me one soon, so I look forward to that.

I then got to see all of the briefcases side by size, and I am so happy I got the 257 and NOT the 258. The 258 is way too big for my needs. I inquired about the famous Pullman, and it was huge - I mean, I know it is supposed to be the largest size that qualifies for carry-on, but it looks huge in person. My sales person recommended not to fully stuff it, since it would then be too big to pass/fit as carry on.

Lastly, I asked the sales guy (I could tell he has been selling these products for a while) about the factory visible from within the store, and he promptly shared that they started with that area, expanding right above it, and will be expanding right above the store (so 3 out of the 4 areas in the building would be manufacturing), and that they also have another/newer factory close by. He added that they are so busy, they added a 3rd shift, and now work 24/7 just to keep up with the demand.

Later that day we had dinner with our customer, and walked back to the hotel. Typical of Seattle this time of the year, we had fairly constant rain/drizzle (not really downpours). When I got to the hotel, I was dry and warm:

My 257 had just water on its surface, hardly nothing on my cruiser, but I am a little disappointed in my tin cloth hat - it got completely soaked, and I was starting to feel wet on my head, so I will have to wax it soon, to see if my hat works better next time:

All in all, I really enjoyed the visit to Seattle, and specially the Filson's store in Seattle - I most definitely recommend setting time aside to visit the store. It is not huge by any means, so you can see/try-on stuff and be out in 10-15 minutes, that is, unless you start up a conversation with your friendly Filson sales attendant :)

Will

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post!
Speaking of waterproofness/water resistance, I took my briefcase with me on a summer day when rain started to pour down. Once I got inside I thought the bag has gotten heavy and to my surprise, front and back outer pockets were half-filled with water. I panicked (lots of paper and laptop inside the bag) and when I unzipped and opened the bag, the inside was completely dry. :slayer:

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

Please note that the outlet store is a freaking LONG way from Seattle. It is more than 1 hour North of Seattle. It was raining here in Seattle (common, I know), so it was nearly 1 and 1/2 hours each way. I would not do the trip again, except that the same outlet strip also has the Pendleton outlet store, the Eddie Bauer outlet store, and a few other ones.

Handy for a rest stop on the way to or from Canada, either via Ferry (Anacortes) or road (I5). Otherwise, not a whole lot up there other than other outlet malls.

milw50717

Reaction score

My 257 had just water on its surface, hardly nothing on my cruiser, but I am a little disappointed in my tin cloth hat - it got completely soaked, and I was starting to feel wet on my head, so I will have to wax it soon, to see if my hat works better next time:

Hold it up to the light and you will likely see little pin prick holes through it. I have a baseball cap somewhere, but I don't really rate it as waterproof. The material is a bit thin and you never seem able to fill the holes for any length of time.

milw50717

Reaction score
Oh, and if in Seattle and you like German food and drink then a great place to visit is Leavenworth. In the middle of nowhere and quite a drive (2 hours) to the east is a town that models itself as a Bavarian village. Once you get past the tourist trap exterior there are some good restaurants there.

Food that sticks to the ribs and usually requires a couple of large beers to wash down.

schweinhaxe.jpg

milw50717

Reaction score

I got to visit my customer in Seattle this week, and I also got an opportunity to visit both the Filson Outlet, and Filson's signature store/factory.

Filson store (and factory):
ADDRESS:
1555 4th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134

FYI - The Filson Factory and HQ is at 1741 1st Avenue South, Seattle, WA. They moved in last year and I assume that they will eventually move manufacturing out of the Store on 4th Ave, or maybe keep it as a tourist attraction.

https://www.filson.com/filson-life/2013/06/made-in-seattle-the-new-filson-hq/

9009149155_af78cb45eb_z-608x405.jpg

Last edited:

ktown

Reaction score
Questions about the Zippered Tote (#70261)

1. Is this bag masculine enough? It kind of reminds me of a purse...
2. The handles seem pretty long. If I carry it in my hands at 5'9", will the bag be hitting the ground or flopping around too much?

I am also considering the 257 but it seems like it has way too many pockets inside. I want a bag that will be used 90% of the time for: 2 glass tupperware (6"x8") laying down flat, 24 oz blender bottle protein shaker, a thin file with some papers, and other small items. The other 10% of the time it would be used as a laptop bag with laptop accessories and a book or two, or as a 1 or 2 night travel bag.

opava5

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 261 in otter green. I had some of the same concerns you've voiced (would it be kind of feminine?). However, once the bag arrived I was extremely surprised (and pleased) at how masculine it actually is. I think, based on what you've indicated you want to use the bag for, it would be perfect. Take the plunge. I don't think you'll regret it.

movoblast

Reaction score
Questions about the Zippered Tote (#70261)

1. Is this bag masculine enough? It kind of reminds me of a purse...
2. The handles seem pretty long. If I carry it in my hands at 5'9", will the bag be hitting the ground or flopping around too much?

I am also considering the 257 but it seems like it has way too many pockets inside. I want a bag that will be used 90% of the time for: 2 glass tupperware (6"x8") laying down flat, 24 oz blender bottle protein shaker, a thin file with some papers, and other small items. The other 10% of the time it would be used as a laptop bag with laptop accessories and a book or two, or as a 1 or 2 night travel bag.
I think I would have to agree with opava5. I ordered the rucksack at first because I thought backpack="masculine". My girlfriend looked at some pictures of both the rucksack and the 256/257 and thought the opposite; she first thought they looked like totes but changed her mind after taking a closer look and said the briefcases were more "masculine". Turns out that she was right.

milw50717

Reaction score
Whilst not a zippered tote -

man_style_best-bags1b_640x480.jpg

For best results do not wear with skinny jeans.

Personally, I could not live without a shoulder strap. Some people play with the handles to form a pseudo-rucksack.

6310936785_62aa79ea54_b.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads