1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'll try to snap some pictures, but the material is both a different weave and color. It's also noticeably less stiff. I wish I had a digital caliper. The difference in leather thickness was shocking.

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

Same color twill on the new and old?

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Please post images, it will be interesting to see the differences.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

By name yes, but in reality nowhere near. The old is much more tan/khaki, while the new is decidedly more brown. Think khaki versus British khaki. The newer looks better IMO.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Interesting. I ask because the navy is definitely thinner and less sturdy than the other colors.

I do have digital calipers, and posted in this thread some time ago about the thickness of various twill colors.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I always thought the navy color had a thinner material independent of the old versus new ownership...

(for the record, last week I was at a shop feeling the 256's and the navy was noticeably thinner fabric than the other colors)

or did the 'new guys' release the navy as their 'new' version? When did it come out? Maybe the thinner navy was their first product release, and the other thicker bags are just older production that hasn't sold through yet? seems unlikely. Maybe the dye color didn't work for the thicker color (but black does...?). I dunno, just speculation.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I think the navy came post-sale but I'm not 100% sure.

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have a 256 navy and 257 otter green. Navy is thinner and smoother to touch but the fabric holds the colour better . Also the new Filson 256/257 handle is a bit longer than the old ones. Much easier to carry. Over all happy with new Filson.

9. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

I can't speak for the thickness of the leather on the belts but OF used solid brass buckles. NF uses plated brass.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. FondlinMyFilson

FondlinMyFilson New Member

How long have you had your Navy 256 and has it faded or frayed at all?

I just got the 256 in Navy too and it definitely uses a thinner canvas material compared to my 257 in Tan. The Navy material also feels as if it's untreated and would be more prone to fraying. I went with the Navy one so I can use it for work as it's a fairly conservative environment, however I may return it if others have found that it does not resist fading/fraying well.

11. FondlinMyFilson

Is it possible to determine the date of manufacture for a Filson bag using the code on the inside label so I can know whether my 257 is a pre-Bedrock bag?

12. converge

converge Senior member

My otter green 256 (purchased in early 2013) seems constructed just as well as my old tan 257 (purchased in 2009). In fact, my 256 feels more rigid than my medium travel bag (purchased in 2011), but I think that's more due to the way the 256 is constructed.

13. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have used my navy 256 every day for over a year and has not faded. It just lost a bit of the original sheens and can say it's a quality product.
    I actually like the the new fabric. Plus longer handle drop is definitely better. Some people here likes to panic .

14. ASpec818

ASpec818 Senior member

The 70256 is not wide enough for my needs and doesn't fit my body shape. I'm probably going to look for another bag more ergo friendly. And why da heck is the shoulder strap that long?? If anyone wants the 70256 tan for $200 lmk. Brand new with tags still in plastic wrap.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

You must be 3 feet tall! I've always been irritated with how short Filson straps are.

16. TataYoure

TataYoure New Member

hey i am interested in purchasing your 256!
    Do you mind dropping me an email @ y-zhirong@hotmail.sg where we can further converse?

cheers!

17. TataYoure

TataYoure New Member

!

18. kenyalang

kenyalang New Member

Bought navy medium field and tan rucksack in BKK last weekend, and already addicted. Wish I had known about this brand and forum earlier!

19. FondlinMyFilson

Sorry, can't help but panic and start nitpicking when I keep reading that Filson is on the way to becoming the next Eddie Bauer. Thanks for the info; I've decided to keep my Navy 256 based on your experience. If for whatever reason it doesn't resist fading as well as yours has, looks like it'd be a perfect camera bag for my Leica M2.

20. tomatic

tomatic Senior member

Just stumbled upon a huge private sale for all kinds of Navy bags > Filson auction