• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is in the market for a beautifully preserved Talon Era No.256 in Tan look no further and buy quickly. This one is hot and won't last very long. Paddless Shoulder Strap included and leather appears to be sueded. Priced just under $220 shipped.... :fonz:

256.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back a couple of pages ago I mentioned the price of a Single Mack Cruiser and something just didn't feel right. Did I miss something here? When exactly did Bedrock implement another price increase?

My Singe Mackinaw Cruiser in Dark Navy, purchased near the end of 2019

IMG_9933.JPG

Build Date 0219

IMG_9931.JPG

Price Tag lists a retail price of $395

IMG_3747.JPG

Who doesn't love a $100 price increase.

Price Increase.PNG

thewinedown

Reaction score
Back a couple of pages ago I mentioned the price of a Single Mack Cruiser and something just didn't feel right. Did I miss something here? When exactly did Bedrock implement another price increase?

My Singe Mackinaw Cruiser in Dark Navy, purchased near the end of 2019

View attachment 1746000

Build Date 0219

View attachment 1745999

Price Tag lists a retail price of $395

View attachment 1746004

Who doesn't love a $100 price increase.

View attachment 1746002
Merry inflation!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
What I find interesting is that this "Outfitter Bag" closely resembles a bag that I absolutely love, and was considering acquiring multiple times. @linablair I know you will appreciate this. Both of these pictures no longer exist online since the website was deleted last year.

View attachment 1745600

I find both photos to be inspiring to pack less and embrace the one bag travel lifestyle.

View attachment 1745602

Just in case you were still considering thinking of potentially maybe acquiring one, I just spotted an OG one on Poshmark that is in extremely pretty condition... https://poshmark.com/listing/Filson...l-CarryOn-Travel-Bag-61ef1b459bd5ef8b5daf8742 ?

m_wp_61ef1be5c693bd7725cdc64b.webp

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case you were still considering thinking of potentially maybe acquiring one, I just spotted an OG one on Poshmark that is in extremely pretty condition... https://poshmark.com/listing/Filson...l-CarryOn-Travel-Bag-61ef1b459bd5ef8b5daf8742 ?

m_wp_61ef1be5c693bd7725cdc64b.webp

I appreciate the thought nonetheless! It’s a beautiful example and in a color I sometimes gravitate towards :fonz: . Price is about $150 more then I would be comfortable spending, but it is a late era Motto Tag. I actually stopped searching because of this very bag. Using it as we speak for a overnight at my parents. It’s a bit smaller capacity wise, but that just encourages me to pack less.

This was going to be the photo for my 5000th post avatar. It’s the very same one that convinced me to keep the bag, despite me really wanting to trade it for a Ranger Green version. GORUCK no longer uses 1000D Cordura anymore, opting for 500D instead. So these examples are appreciating in value.

10EACC5A-2785-4767-B057-4FEB9AA9FB53.jpeg

Last edited:

jevindoes

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, decided to get a Filson for my EDC to work. Originally got a 256, but found it was too small for my needs (laptop, coffee tumbler, water bottle, stethoscope) so after some searching found a YKK 257 from 2007 in great condition. I love the bag, however found that one of the zippers takes a lot more resistance to zip closed. I’ve tried 3 in 1 oil and rubbing wax paper with no improvement. Is this normal/should I just take this as part of the bags personality? Lol. Any other sticky zipper recs are much appreciated. Thanks!
238E59F3-8B47-44D4-BD8A-2CB97C618B39.jpeg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, decided to get a Filson for my EDC to work. Originally got a 256, but found it was too small for my needs (laptop, coffee tumbler, water bottle, stethoscope) so after some searching found a YKK 257 from 2007 in great condition. I love the bag, however found that one of the zippers takes a lot more resistance to zip closed. I’ve tried 3 in 1 oil and rubbing wax paper with no improvement. Is this normal/should I just take this as part of the bags personality? Lol. Any other sticky zipper recs are much appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 1747004

Lovely bag, congrats on your find!

There exist proper zipper lubricants that you can purchase for use on items such as tents and bags that could be worth a try. A non-greasy alternative is using graphite, such as one would to ease a sticky lock, since this avoids build-up of dirt sticking to the oiled teeth and the presence of oil next to fabric.

Since it hasn't eased up with oiling though there is perhaps salt / crud build up within the zipper head itself, though I am unsure how one might clear that out beyond trying to poke a fine metal pick in there and waggling it around... perhaps have a good Google around for better advice than my dodgy waggle tip!

As an aside I rarely bother zipping up my 24-H or 257 briefcases; I have the zippers pulled up to the corners on each side and simply snap the flap over the middle. Then again I don't commute on a crowded subway where roaming fingers might be an issue, and definitely zip up tight if caught in a downpour between the bus stop and campus. ?

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I appreciate the thought nonetheless! It’s a beautiful example and in a color I sometimes gravitate towards :fonz: . Price is about $150 more then I would be comfortable spending, but it is a late era Motto Tag. I actually stopped searching because of this very bag. Using it as we speak for a overnight at my parents. It’s a bit smaller capacity wise, but that just encourages me to pack less.

This was going to be the photo for my 5000th post avatar. It’s the very same one that convinced me to keep the bag, despite me really wanting to trade it for a Ranger Green version. GORUCK no longer uses 1000D Cordura anymore, opting for 500D instead. So these examples are appreciating in value.

View attachment 1746469

Lovely photo. Hi Chance! That bag is fantastic and makes perfect sense to keep it and keep on using it. Besides, there's no velcro on the Filson for one's favourite morale patches! ?

thewinedown

Reaction score
Lovely bag, congrats on your find!

There exist proper zipper lubricants that you can purchase for use on items such as tents and bags that could be worth a try. A non-greasy alternative is using graphite, such as one would to ease a sticky lock, since this avoids build-up of dirt sticking to the oiled teeth and the presence of oil next to fabric.

Since it hasn't eased up with oiling though there is perhaps salt / crud build up within the zipper head itself, though I am unsure how one might clear that out beyond trying to poke a fine metal pick in there and waggling it around... perhaps have a good Google around for better advice than my dodgy waggle tip!

As an aside I rarely bother zipping up my 24-H or 257 briefcases; I have the zippers pulled up to the corners on each side and simply snap the flap over the middle. Then again I don't commute on a crowded subway where roaming fingers might be an issue, and definitely zip up tight if caught in a downpour between the bus stop and campus. ?
I also almost never zip my 256. There is rarely much point.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, decided to get a Filson for my EDC to work. Originally got a 256, but found it was too small for my needs (laptop, coffee tumbler, water bottle, stethoscope) so after some searching found a YKK 257 from 2007 in great condition. I love the bag, however found that one of the zippers takes a lot more resistance to zip closed. I’ve tried 3 in 1 oil and rubbing wax paper with no improvement. Is this normal/should I just take this as part of the bags personality? Lol. Any other sticky zipper recs are much appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 1747004
Ahhh the good ol fashioned will the zipper break in question. We had a lengthy discussion about this quite a while back. While our discussion more so surrounded whether Talon era zippers were smoother than the YKK versions, the general consensus is that some zippers are just a little tougher to zip than others- but they likely will improve over time. I personally think that the Talon versions are generally smoother, but I can’t say for sure how much of a break in element there is. Reading this back, I realize this was not very helpful. If I were you, I think I’d just use it well for 6 months or so, and then if it doesn’t break in the way you’d like then find another 257 and try again. You may even be able to grab one from one of us that can vouch for the smoothness of the zipper so there isn’t much of a guessing game compared with eBay.

Beautiful bag and welcome to the group!

jevindoes

Reaction score
Ahhh the good ol fashioned will the zipper break in question. We had a lengthy discussion about this quite a while back. While our discussion more so surrounded whether Talon era zippers were smoother than the YKK versions, the general consensus is that some zippers are just a little tougher to zip than others- but they likely will improve over time. I personally think that the Talon versions are generally smoother, but I can’t say for sure how much of a break in element there is. Reading this back, I realize this was not very helpful. If I were you, I think I’d just use it well for 6 months or so, and then if it doesn’t break in the way you’d like then find another 257 and try again. You may even be able to grab one from one of us that can vouch for the smoothness of the zipper so there isn’t much of a guessing game compared with eBay.

Beautiful bag and welcome to the group!

I think I will follow your advice and put it to good use for the next 6 months and see if it gets any better. Thank you everyone for the tips and for the warm welcome!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I will follow your advice and put it to good use for the next 6 months and see if it gets any better. Thank you everyone for the tips and for the warm welcome!
I'd second Tinman's advice on the zipper. Your bag looks to be in great shape so perhaps the zipper hadn't been used very much over the years. In my experiences with Filson's zippers - they are designed to be tough so they're always just a wee bit over-built (which is what we all like). My EDC is the 257 as well (although I also have a 256 - which I find too small too). It's somewhat satisfying knowing that you can pull the zipper as hard as you want without risking it breaking.

Minor thing, but to me it's a feature, not a flaw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads