• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hubert

Reaction score
I just got a couple Filson 256 briefcases in the mail. I couldn't decide on brown or tan, so I ordered both thinking it would be easier to decide after seeing them in person. It isn't. I wish I could keep both. Pictures below. I tossed a Jack Spade chocolate waxwear computer file case in there for reference.

jrimk4

mrp17z

k2ud82

pclt4j

nonamecharacter

Reaction score
I just bought the Filson 257 and it looks big compared to the Filson 256. It feels awkward wearing the shoulder strap of the Filson 257. Do people just use it as a briefcase?

svelten

Reaction score
^ I believe that is the more common intent

Originally Posted by hubert
I just got a couple Filson 256 briefcases in the mail. I couldn't decide on brown or tan, so I ordered both thinking it would be easier to decide after seeing them in person. It isn't. I wish I could keep both. Pictures below. I tossed a Jack Spade chocolate waxwear computer file case in there for reference.

jrimk4

mrp17z

k2ud82

pclt4j

Gorgeous pics, finally some truthfully revealing shots of what the bag is supposed to look like. Have you decided what to keep?

One rather trivial problem I've been having with the bag is if I decided to carry it like a briefcase, the shoulder strap often falls off the handles and to the ground (and as I am 6'0", I leave the shoulder strap fairly long). Does anyone else hold it differently or is this just a blatantly stupid question?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten
^ I believe that is the more common intent

Gorgeous pics, finally some truthfully revealing shots of what the bag is supposed to look like. Have you decided what to keep?

One rather trivial problem I've been having with the bag is if I decided to carry it like a briefcase, the shoulder strap often falls off the handles and to the ground (and as I am 6'0", I leave the shoulder strap fairly long). Does anyone else hold it differently or is this just a blatantly stupid question?

LOL, I know what you mean. I take the strap and kind of lay it over the top of the bag, and hold part of it between the two handgrips. Imagine looking down at the top of the bag, I lay the strap diagonally across the top of the bag so it hangs down on either side of the bag, then hold a portion of it between the handgrips in my hands.

svelten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Why not just unclip the strap from the bag if you want to carry it like a briefcase?

Half the time I want to carry it on my shoulder - I normally take public transit to work, which involves 3 transfers in busy terminals so I switch up on a whim...

dappledown

Reaction score
or you could keep the strap tucked into the near side pocket. looks good and u still got the strap available for when u need it. I went with the tan colour and no regrets. goes with EVERYTHING.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, it just naturally hangs this way:

hubert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten

Thanks. I decided to keep the dark brown Filson because I thought it would look more appropriate on the days I have to wear a suit to work, but I still love the tan color. As others have mentioned, the brown color begins to fade, which adds some contrast with the leather straps. IMO, both bags look better after some good use.

Originally Posted by longskate88
Here ya go, it just naturally hangs this way:

This is a smart solution to the strap problem. I normally just stuff the strap into the side pocket.

bart

Reaction score
I ordered a 256 in tan with a handle from David over at Cranes. They shipped it out right away, along with a flashlight bulb that they went above and beyond to get for me. Great guys up there! Anyway, the Filson is pure beef, as I knew it would be. Here are a few pics of it along with my old Mulholland bag (which retails for more, but doesn't hold a candle to the Filson). I debated for a while on which one to get, and am happy with the 256 for a daily carry and travel bag.

I'll have to order another bag that can hold a week's worth of clothes - will probably look for one that is as large as you can carry on. Any advice on what to choose for that? Also will probably get that one in Green to show dirt less.

DSC02531.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bart
I'll have to order another bag that can hold a week's worth of clothes - will probably look for one that is as large as you can carry on. Any advice on what to choose for that? Also will probably get that one in Green to show dirt less.

Oh yeah I can recommend something. Get the large carry on bag style 242.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bart;3181765 said:
I ordered a 256 in tan with a handle from David over at Cranes. They shipped it out right away, along with a flashlight bulb that they went above and beyond to get for me. Great guys up there! Anyway, the Filson is pure beef, as I knew it would be. Here are a few pics of it along with my old Mulholland bag (which retails for more, but doesn't hold a candle to the Filson). I debated for a while on which one to get, and am happy with the 256 for a daily carry and travel bag.

DSC02531.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02534.jpg
[/QUOTE

Great Bag. Congrats on the purchase.

-LR

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bart
242 seems small? Ideally, the bag would be the absolute maximum size I could carry on. I would usually check it anyway, but having the option the carry on would be good. Wheels are also great for when I have it stuffed and it weighs a metric tonne.

Wish this wasn't so expensive:

http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2

It's a few bucks more than the 242 and the discount code is still active BTW. Buying it would hurt a little but keep in mind you'll pay for it only once in your lifetime.

JTK

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide b/t the brown and tan for the large travel bag (248). I have the tan briefcase (257), and love the way it looks. I had a chance to see the tan in the flesh and it looks great, but I'm worried about matching too much! Does anyone have real-world experience with how the brown looks??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads