• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you asked a fair question about about HIS opinion of HIS bag vs other bags HE owns. I’d hope we would all be entitled to give our own opinions and that is what Strat did.

I realize this question wasn't meant for me but it was posted publicly so I can't help give you my take. I have owned multiple bags from all 3 Era's (multiple editions from each era as well) and can speak as a matter of fact that there is a difference in leather quality / fit and finish between the leather offerings of all three Era's, and The Talon Era offers the best quality and less commonplace QC imperfections. Keep in mind, leather thickness is only part of the equation.

As far as the Twill, that is noticeably unchanged in terms of thickness (for the most part), although some have argued that the newer stuff feels lighter when being directly compared to the newer releases. In terms of color, you will see a difference in the first edition Otter Green when compared to the later years of the Talon Era and anything released afterwards; it's lighter in shade. A brief look at my avatar will show the difference between Talon Otter Green releases (each bag being purchased in new-like condition). I myself happen to think Filson has toyed with the formula of Rugged Twill but the average user won't care or notice a difference. Why else would Bedrock scrub the public admission of using "22 Ounce Rugged Twill" to what they now refer to "2-ply x 3-ply twill"

That's exactly what MY post started off as. I do not wish to rehash old debates here, but I have a right to respond when I am being challenged by "old nemisis's"

Stratkat

Reaction score
do you see any of that on the above 3 images I posted? they look the same to my eye whether I flex or twist them or lay them flat (I will say the Talon bag need conditioning badly).
regarding your images, none of my bags have that going on. its not a matter of acknowledging, im just not seeing a difference on the example I have.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of moving along, wanted to share some new Filson Tool releases for your enjoyment. @nevadabob interested?

axe 1.PNG

axe 2 grind.PNG

axe 3.PNG

This thing is actually pretty cool. Might be adding this to my free range kayak camping gear

nice pouch.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tom Lebrando have you seen the new Tanner Goods Wallet designs? I just saw them and I must admit I am not a fan. Also wondering why they specify that it was "Designed in Portland, OR." but "Crafted in Minneapolis, MN". Wonder if they are moving production out from the West Coast.

Minimal Bifold ($80). Not really sure what the point of this design is, as the foundation of a minimalist wallet is a small footprint.

Tanner Goods New 2.PNG

Minimal Card Holder ($45)

Tanner Goods New.PNG

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what I enjoy most about Talon Era leather is that it’s all different depending on the hide that was used. The color is also very unique and it’s typically exceptionally soft yet durable. It’s a fact that some talon leather is more sueded than other talon leather, without question. Regardless, you have to appreciate Filson leather and how it tends to get better or at least stay viable with time and use rather than wearing out. That’s what it’s all about right?

6F4C272C-2E16-4A25-97BF-F18671FF6D4E.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of moving along, wanted to share some new Filson Tool releases for your enjoyment. @nevadabob interested?

View attachment 1365621

View attachment 1365622

View attachment 1365623

This thing is actually pretty cool. Might be adding this to my free range kayak camping gear

View attachment 1365625
Ugh I’ll take one of each, please.

Sadly, my fireplace in my house is gas and I have no fire pit out back. But these are all very nice pieces. I saw the log splitter in store and it was incredible. Very heavy and I am confident would do well for a lifetime of splitting.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Treat the leather (any era) with Venetian Shoe Cream and it will remain supple and nice.
there has been a lot of debate as to whether regularly used and carefully stored Filson bridle leather needs regular treatment. Of course if it’s constantly getting wet this could be a different story but Filson never offered anything to treat their leather with until about a year ago. That’s a pretty odd practice for a company that guarantees their products for “life”.

Obanaufs has always been what I’ve seen recommended here which may have been sold on the Filson website at some point as well. But I haven’t treated most of my leather and I can’t tell a difference on my daily driver. Only gets better as long as you continue to use it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there has been a lot of debate as to whether regularly used and carefully stored Filson bridle leather needs regular treatment. Of course if it’s constantly getting wet this could be a different story but Filson never offered anything to treat their leather with until about a year ago. That’s a pretty odd practice for a company that guarantees their products for “life”.
Well, I treat my footwear, so why not the leather parts of my bags. Once a year seems about right to me for the bags hardware, more often for boots. It can't hurt the straps on the bags, so why not.

nevadabob

Reaction score
We burn a fire pit out back from time to time but our current house is gas only fireplaces. My wife and I were laughing the other day because we have a set of fireplace tools sitting in the living room with nothing for them to do. I do like the bith the estwing splitter and the council tool saddle axe. The estwing would make a nice set with the claw hammer. I was glad I found council tool before these were released - $100 for the filson named engraved on the handle is quite the premium over the plain jane council tool axes.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
@Tom Lebrando have you seen the new Tanner Goods Wallet designs? I just saw them and I must admit I am not a fan. Also wondering why they specify that it was "Designed in Portland, OR." but "Crafted in Minneapolis, MN". Wonder if they are moving production out from the West Coast.

Minimal Bifold ($80). Not really sure what the point of this design is, as the foundation of a minimalist wallet is a small footprint.

View attachment 1365696

Minimal Card Holder ($45)

View attachment 1365697
@OtterMeanGreen it looks like "minimal" means less leather (thinner) and less stitching. This smells of cost savings to me. The move of manufacture to Minnesota (also to Mexico with their bags) is also a cost-cutting move. It's topped off by leveraging the " less is more " mantra to get you to buy-in. Glad to see this doesn't get past your discerning taste. I really liked Tanner Goods for many years (bags and leather goods) but I think the bean-counters are quickly displacing the passionate craftsmen ... maybe they are now owned by an investment group that is trying to squeeze profits from the relatively young brand. All too familiar if true ...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@speedy611 i appreciate the Subaru channel suggestion. To be honest, I’ve been watching videos like these ever since you posted pictures of your project. Fascinating and captivating work:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you a craftsmen Otter?

I use to be when I had built my business. Artisan Coffee Roasting, which was just one of the facets of my company, but involved the most attention. Like picking the right Single Origin Green Coffee, which came in 50 pound burlap and choosing which blend profile. Then came the Roasting, which involved a sharp ear to listen for “1st or 2nd Crack” and deciding when to Pull. All while serving customers and crafting Espresso drinks & Pour Over Coffee.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use to be when I had built my business. Artisan Coffee Roasting, which was just one of the facets of my company, but involved the most attention. Like picking the right Single Origin Green Coffee, which came in 50 pound burlap and choosing which blend profile. Then came the Roasting, which involved a sharp ear to listen for “1st or 2nd Crack” and deciding when to Pull. All while serving customers and crafting Espresso drinks & Pour Over Coffee.

That's serious coffee roasting, I just get mine in bags at the grocery store (locally owned) and they get theirs from a place here that roasts coffee. I haven't visited the roasters to see how they do it, or where they source beans, but it tastes good, so I'm fine with it..Wish coffee would grow in Illinois however, or I'd grow my own :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads