• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OMG, cleaning out an unused closet in an unused upstairs bedroom (not much else to do with Shelter in Place and all) and found ANOTHER medium field bag, tan. I remember buying it a couple of years ago on eBay, was planning on using it as a "briefcase" to go to work, but things turned out different as I retired early. I just put it in the closet with a few other( maybe 10?) bags and briefcases from a variety of companies. I think I need to find a use for it now, as the rest can go to charity, except for the Chapman Troutbeck's, which are the UK's equivalent to Filson IMHO.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Medium outfitter bag #236 and large outfitter bag #238 comparison as well as mob and small duffle comparison

BCF3A053-9A91-4C2C-B76F-BDAA869C1F84.jpeg
78B13876-C675-4E23-B70A-5A990FB6A725.jpeg
C469D271-C131-41DB-B633-71653A905603.jpeg
8CCDE9F8-F70F-40EF-BF4C-1DC20C8C09B9.jpeg
D55227ED-232F-42A8-A057-D562A52F4019.jpeg
E0A5CAB5-D4B2-4A8C-BDE1-FA2F4E67B510.jpeg
FC71D152-1385-438F-8B5B-B216EEB004EA.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's serious coffee roasting, I just get mine in bags at the grocery store (locally owned) and they get theirs from a place here that roasts coffee. I haven't visited the roasters to see how they do it, or where they source beans, but it tastes good, so I'm fine with it..Wish coffee would grow in Illinois however, or I'd grow my own :)

No shame in that, I get my coffee from a local roaster and just grind what I need for the week, using the pour over method. If you want any tips just let me know. You could totally pull off being your own roaster for about the price of a new Filson Journeyman.

This is what I learned before buying our Commercial Roaster

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen it looks like "minimal" means less leather (thinner) and less stitching. This smells of cost savings to me. The move of manufacture to Minnesota (also to Mexico with their bags) is also a cost-cutting move. It's topped off by leveraging the " less is more " mantra to get you to buy-in. Glad to see this doesn't get past your discerning taste. I really liked Tanner Goods for many years (bags and leather goods) but I think the bean-counters are quickly displacing the passionate craftsmen ... maybe they are now owned by an investment group that is trying to squeeze profits from the relatively young brand. All too familiar if true ...

I have more then enough of what I need from Tanner Goods but if that’s the route they are taking then I would still be sad. At least the move to Minnesota is still within the USA, as I am in need of a nice dress belt. However this time I am going with Stainless Steel over their copper finished nickel buckles. You’re right though; all too familiar if true.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks GZ! It’s awesome to see how the MOB compares to the Flapless Small Duffel. That was the most revealing. As a result, I definitely have my sights set on the LOB for my future trunk Go-Bag as it will provide me with room to grow.

Did anybody else catch the price differences in the Filson catalog?

XL Outfitter: $303

LOB: $299

MOB: $276

Modern day Bedrock Filson would never let that happen.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks GZ! It’s awesome to see how the MOB compares to the Flapless Small Duffel. That was the most revealing. As a result, I definitely have my sights set on the LOB for my future trunk Go-Bag as it will provide me with room to grow.

Did anybody else catch the price differences in the Filson catalog?

XL Outfitter: $303

LOB: $299

MOB: $276

Modern day Bedrock Filson would never let that happen.
Adjusted for inflation, $300 is almost $450 2000-2019. I think they’d ask more like $550 for it, but it was still an expensive bag at the time!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Adjusted for inflation, $300 is almost $450 2000-2019. I think they’d ask more like $550 for it, but it was still an expensive bag at the time!

I think he may even more so the lack of discrepancy between all 3 in price. Today small would be easily $100 less than medium.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was more referring to the price differences between sizes, or lack thereof. Considering Filson doesn't have too many luggage items left that have variations of sizes, I opted to display the current price differences of the Duffel Line.

Small Duffel: $350

Medium Duffel: $395

Large Duffel: $425

The largest price spread of the Outfitter Bags was between the MOB and LOB with a price variation of $23, but only $4 between the LOB and XLOB, which I find very odd.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume everyone has seen there is a 35%+ off sale at Filson.com? US only it seems. And not shipping until the Current Oddness ™️ is over.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
So they got both promos running same time.
Spring sale and the bonus 100 for 500 and 50 for 300

seven20

Reaction score
I thought that the bonus was taken off the site yesterday.

I would buy a root ranger backpack at this price if they hadn't put stainless/chrome colored hardware on the root bags. That really kills the look for me.

edit: It was on there for $99 this morning, it's already gone

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I thought that the bonus was taken off the site yesterday.

I would buy a root ranger backpack at this price if they hadn't put stainless/chrome colored hardware on the root bags. That really kills the look for me.

edit: It was on there for $99 this morning, it's already gone

Bonus is running till the 9th according to the website

treehouseleader

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Filson Weatherproof Leather Journeyman? I have the regular Journeyman in Olive & might want to splurge to upgrade. Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads