Filet mignon

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

DT is zerging the hell out of the ancillary forvms lately.

2. zhouyu

zhouyu Senior member

IMHO... marbling > tender lean

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

omg who would have thought the threak would turn into this. i am so surprised
    Did I win, bro?

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Me and my bros​

At the steakhouse​

Crushin some filets​

And gettin after some brewdogs​

We livin the good life​

Me and my bros​

5. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I don't think there is a superior cut, but just preference and what you feel like eating at the time. For filet, I usually go with grass fed, and rib eye corn. If I feel like having a piece that is tender like a filet, but with a lot more flavor, I go to the Japanese butcher which sells a wider variety of cuts to suit your preference.

6. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Best restaurant Ribeye I had recently was done sous vide then sear finished in the pan, medium rare. Gorgeous.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I almost butterflied it, placed a thin strip of bacon inside, tied it up and roasted it.

What about a thin strip of guanciale instead of bacon? I'm just thinking this because then you don't have the smoke adulterant (unless you want it).

8. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

NYStrip>Ribeye>Fillet

Its a girls steak. dunno, just doesn't have a lot of flavor, too lean.

sure, its tender and its easy to cook without screwing up, just seems so unsatisfying eating it. in a sandwhich its not bad though.

+1

Probably been a poast before, but what about grass fed vs. corn fed??

I've never done a side by side taste test. I liked the grass when I had it, but can't say i liked it because it was grass. Perhaps I liked it because was a little less fatty/turbocharged marbling.

9. spertia

spertia Senior member

NYStrip>Ribeye>Fillet

Agree. I was a vegetarian for many years, but when I decided to start eating meat again, my first steak was a filet. My wife had always loved the cut and had always gone on and on about how wonderful it was. Even after trying it several times, I was pretty meh on filet. Then one day we gave NY Strips a try, and I was suddenly like, OH, NOW I GET IT! STEAAAAAKKKKKK!!!

Now my wife prefers NY Strip to filet as well....

10. itsstillmatt

What about a thin strip of guanciale instead of bacon? I'm just thinking this because then you don't have the smoke adulterant (unless you want it).
    I wanted the smoke taste. I did, on your rec, start getting beef from Golden Gate. It is excellent. Nice guys too.

11. otc

otc Senior member

who hates filet mignon??

Douchebag elitist steak "lovers" who probably couldn't tell a prime cut from choice let alone properly cook it (gotta go to morton's bro)

Sure there are lots of people who would never order a filet when presented with other options based on personal taste, but a lot of the people who proclaim to "hate" filet probably couldn't tell it apart from a ribeye if you cut them into bite size pieces and did a taste test...they just think its a "pussy steak"

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Filet is my favorite cut when I eat steak with a sauce (poivre, bearnaise...) but if I'm eating it simply grilled or with some Dijon, I prefer a ribeye.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I recently bought some skirt steak from my butcher rather than from the mexican market where I've gotten it before and I was shocked at how tender and tasty it was.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I recently bought some skirt steak from my butcher rather than from the mexican market where I've gotten it before and I was shocked at how tender and tasty it was.

Is skirt steak the same as bavette in French? If so, I love that cut - bavette aux Ã[​IMG]chalottes, hmmmm [​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

Is skirt steak the same as bavette in French? If so, I love that cut - bavette aux Ã[​IMG]chalottes, hmmmm [​IMG]
    No. Sometimes skirt steak is labelled bavette here, but the bavette you traditionally eat with shallots is flap steak in the US.