• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Tom Waits song?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inspired by the Underground thread...

Mine would have to be Long Way Home or Kommienezuspadt.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is also impossible, but I'll throw out Way Down in the Hole, influenced by four seasons of The Wire.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Baron. Waits is such a talented songwriter/artist that it really does an injustice to name a single favorite. One of my favorite lines is:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

His ballads are exceptional. For example, I really didn't know Dion's Serenade was actually Waits's San Diego Serenade. A great line from that one is: "I never saw the moonlight until it shone off of your breast." And, he's a pretty good actor, too.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I admit to general ignorance of his stuff, but Goin' Out West is one of my favorite songs.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Trauberts's Blues

Wasted and wounded
It ain't what the moon did
I've got what I paid for now
See ya tomorrow
Hey Frank, can I borrow
A couple of bucks from you...
To go waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda
You'll go waltzing Matilda with me

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
This is also impossible, but I'll throw out Way Down in the Hole, influenced by four seasons of The Wire.

I'm not sure I'd put Way Down in The Hole as my top, but it definitely made a jump into contention after The Wire, yeah. Actually, one of the things I love about Tom Waits is that there are so many songs of his like that--at first they seemed good, solid, but not particularly amazing; then one day you hear it again in a different context and you suddenly realize how awesome it actually is.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good god this one is officially impossible for me. Throughout high-school, I was a serious bootleggy Tom Waits snob (aka "that guy"), but I've fallen off the wagon in the past 5 or 6 years and haven't kept up with his new releases. My favorite song would almost certainly be from that golden 1979 to 1983 switch-over period, where the Barfly and the Circus Freak personas were overlapping, but I could never pick one. I can, however, pick a favorite line: "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat; never drive a car when you're dead."

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Innocent When You Dream
Frank's Wild Years
Train Song
Shiver Me Timbers
Dowtown Train
Anywhere I Lay My Head
Hang Down Your Head

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You

+1 Great tune

Raindogs is probably my favorite album, just killer stuff. Jockey Full of Bourbon, Time, Gun St. Girl, Blind Love, Downtown Train - unbelievable...
worship.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Frank's Wild Years

First Tom Waits song I ever heard, I was instantly hooked. He hooked me at "he hung his wild years on a nail that he drove through his wife's forehead", and had me forever at "Halloween orange and chim-a-ney red".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads