• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite style magazines

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a men's fashion magazine I liked since the demise of "M" magazine in the 1990s.

I subscribe to Esquire, but find that in most cases, it takes me less than 10 minutes to extract everything of interest from an issue.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite its pretentiousness (and believe me it can get ridiculous) Robb Report often has excellent articles on tailored clothing (I especially like their fall previews).
Good point, and didn't they get rid of that horrible "for the affluent lifestyle" moniker?

I still buy GQ out of habit, and I guess it's my favorite by default. Departures is very good when it's devoted to men's fashion, but that's only about once per year (if that).

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Mr. Guy: I agree with the sucking conclusion, but I'm hoping Cargo will be able to develop because the magazine's mission is what we're all taking about: clothing and more clothing. With Details, I have to hold my nose through the preciousness and garbage such as the horror of the office bowel movement. I'm shaking my head even as I think about it. Anybody else see any potential in Cargo or is it just damned to suck?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i doubt cargo will change much. they just took 'lucky' and made it for men. so the model has been around a while and it's tried and true.

in addition, their mission is not just clothing, but 'stuff' in general. they are a consumer-lifestyle magazine.

ultimately, even if they wanted to go upscale, they would be limited by their advertisers, as that is the primary source of income for magazines of that type. seeing as they (the mag and the advertisers) seem to want to reach the largest audience possible, i doubt they will head into the rarified (and narrow) strata of classic gentlemen's style. the audience is just not large enough.

/andrew

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kai -- I actually subscribed to "M" magazine back in the late 80s. It was a high-end men's style/clothes/health/cars/vacations magazine. Mostly about clothes/style, but different from GQ in that it had no cheesy/tacky stuff. No boy-rocker articles or advertisements. Ralph Lauren, not D&G. In one issue, for example, it would review a new Utah ski resort and the new Porsche 911, AND include several articles about clothes, designers, goretex jackets, the best cashmere, etc.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kai -- I actually subscribed to "M" magazine back in the late 80s.  It was a high-end men's style/clothes/health/cars/vacations magazine.  Mostly about clothes/style, but different from GQ in that it had no cheesy/tacky stuff.  No boy-rocker articles or advertisements.  Ralph Lauren, not D&G.  In one issue, for example, it would review a new Utah ski resort and the new Porsche 911, AND include several articles about clothes, designers, goretex jackets, the best cashmere, etc.
I never saw M magazine, slightly before my time, but wow it sounds amazing.

I'm not sure how many of you are in to sports cars or racing, but that segment has recently gotten a fantastic new magazine that seems to be their version of what we're looking for in mens clothing. It's called "Octane", and a recent magazine had a comparison article featuring the Mercedes Gullwing vs. the 300SL Roadster, the new Aston Martin, the death of Ayrton Senna, and an article on the Rolex Daytona watch. Virtually no cheesy content . . . unless you dislike Rolexes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
M vaguely sounds like Robb Report. But perhaps minus the pretentiousness.

Has anybody any experience with Tokion? I also just ordered VMan which is apparently a male counterpart to the V magazine.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M vaguely sounds like Robb Report. But perhaps minus the pretentiousness.
M was less like Robb Report and more like what Esquire really should be. Robb report seems fixated on giant yachts, airplanes, huge estates, etc. You're right about the pretentiousness. Robb Report goes out of its way to make it clear that it's a magazine for the ultra-rich.

M was more about clothing and style. Definitely aimed at the affluent, but a bit more reserved, without all the "bling" of RR.

I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't anything to fill the vacuum left by M Magazine. Most men's magazines these days seem aimed at a younger crowd who want to dress like Carson on Queer Eye. I'm surprised that no publisher has taken up the baton and tried to create a more "grown up" fashion and lifestyle magazine that emphasizes quality and elegant, timeless style. Esquire has pretensions to this segment, but the editors seem to want to compete in the Maxim arena. I think it's a mistake. If I wanted Maxim, I'd just buy Maxim. I doubt I'll be renewing my Esquire subscription when it expires.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ 07 July 2004, 2:49) M vaguely sounds like Robb Report. But perhaps minus the pretentiousness.
M was less like Robb Report and more like what Esquire really should be. Â Robb report seems fixated on giant yachts, airplanes, huge estates, etc. Â You're right about the pretentiousness. Â Robb Report goes out of its way to make it clear that it's a magazine for the ultra-rich. Â M was more about clothing and style. Â Definitely aimed at the affluent, but a bit more reserved, without all the "bling" of RR. Â I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't anything to fill the vacuum left by M Magazine. Â Most men's magazines these days seem aimed at a younger crowd who want to dress like Carson on Queer Eye. Â I'm surprised that no publisher has taken up the baton and tried to create a more "grown up" fashion and lifestyle magazine that emphasizes quality and elegant, timeless style. Â Esquire has pretensions to this segment, but the editors seem to want to compete in the Maxim arena. Â I think it's a mistake. Â If I wanted Maxim, I'd just buy Maxim. Â I doubt I'll be renewing my Esquire subscription when it expires.
Robb Report seems to be rather popular with the rap crowd as well. Certain European periodicals seem to fill this niche. Isn't there a magazine entitled "Dandy?" And then I would suppose there are the Japanese ones.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've read today that there will be yet another new men's magazine appearing soon

"l'officiel homme" is to be debut in january 2005

allegedly the editor in chief will be none other than milan vukmirovic

i guess losing your job to the return of jil sander only gets you a mag gig (perhaps it was his previous colette experience though)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads