• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Founding Father

oneblood

Reaction score
No love for John Adams. Little has changed. My favorite has to go to Samuel Chase for starting the grand old American tradition of partisan ruling from the Supreme Court.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneblood
No love for John Adams. Little has changed. My favorite has to go to Samuel Chase for starting the grand old American tradition of partisan ruling from the Supreme Court.
Do you mean Salmon Chase? Never heard of Samuel.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneblood

I really like John Adams, and my fondness for him contributes to my attitudes toward Jefferson.

Of all the founders, Adams seems the most real and accessible.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Flawed, perhaps, but at least it was a better and more hopeful view -- an aspiration, if you will. I wish people would look forward, look towards idealism, a little more (says the lifelong, pessimistic pragmatist Huntsman).

~ H

Originally Posted by Connemara
Do you dislike the Jeffersonian/Paineian optimism?

I think they were great, enlightened men. I just don't think I would want to start a country based on too many men like them.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who put gold / silver as legal tender ONLY in the constitution?

I love that guy.

It's in our constitution (Australia's) as well "Gold + Silver as legal tender only" but we don't take our constitution seriously at all.

oneblood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Do you mean Salmon Chase? Never heard of Samuel.

No, Samuel Chase signed the Declaration of Independence and was on the Supreme Court. He ruled purely in favor of federalist ideology, so much so that an attempted impeachment took place.

wmb

Reaction score
2 favorites of many:

Hamilton -- war hero aide de camp to George Washington, asked GW to lead the charge of the last redoubt at Yorktown. Then had a major hand in setting up the financial and political systems in this country. All done as an illegitmate child born in the Carribean. Also an early abolitionist. Unbelievable life...

Washington -- as stated by others, had a chance to become the most powerful man in the world (though already one of the richest in the country) and walked away... never been done before. What more is there to say than that?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Anybody that dies from a duel deserves to be up on the list, but Washington and Jefferson would be 1,2.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jefferson's a really cold fish-- hard to understand or like. He also did some genuinely dumb-ass things in his public life.

Franklin's urbanity is the most portable of any of the founders'. One of the more peculiar applications I had to write for business school asked what three people I'd want to have dinner with, and he was on my list.

Washington is-- well, Washington. Definitely a man of the 18th century, but anyone else would have cracked under the strain. The war was bad enough, but as one of my professors said of his presidency "every time he scratched his ass he set a precedent." That's not an easy thing to get right.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Captain James Cook.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads