• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faulty C&J Boots?

Oggster

Reaction score
Hi, In my first foray into quality shoes I purchased a pair of Chelsea boots from C&J. I've only worn them a few times and have noticed a break in the stitching on the sole. Will this affect the life-span of the boot/should I seek a replacement? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
It's certainly not right but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. You have a rubber danite type sole and unless other adjacent stitches begin to fray you'll be fine.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Sorry posting from a weak connection - wanted to add, if it's bothering you C&J will be able to sort something out for you as ordinarily an item with stitch faults are seconds.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must be new to the forum. Only Alden and Allen Edmonds suffer from construction problems, unless you are having your shoes refurbished, then Edwards Greens are no good.

As for your problem, losing a stitch like that is inevitable (though it seems to have happend relatively fast on this pair). It won't unravel like a sweater, just wear and enjoy. At some point (years from now), you will have to slap on a new sole.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats inevitable as they wear
happens on mine as i dont use toe taps or other heel protectors
the sole/welt wont unravel

Oggster

Reaction score
Thanks - great to know it is not too serious. Think I will ask C&J about as does seem to have happened quickly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads