1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fa-reaks of nature

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zupermaus, Apr 25, 2008.

1. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

great thread and great posts so far. related to this, check this video out, 10 of these big japanese hornets eat and kill thousands and thousands of normal honey bees. http://www.popgive.com/2007/12/10-gi...-vs-10000.html
    Cool video. The Metallica soundtrack seems appropriate. Here the bees get their revenge:

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That Dumbo Octopus is rather cute.

4. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

[​IMG]

This one looks like Pikachu. awwww. [​IMG]

5. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

I just got this sent to me from another forum. Seriously, it looks like Bigfoot's oven glove.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Apparently its a hairy moth from Bolivia called the Pus caterpillar.
    The fuzz hides poisonous spines coated with your own prescription coma party.

6. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

this me Sunday morning

[​IMG]

7. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

repost: I just got this sent to me from another forum. Seriously, it looks like Bigfoot's oven glove.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Apparently its a hairy moth from Bolivia called the Pus caterpillar. The fuzz hides poisonous spines coated with your own prescription coma.

8. selbsttatig

selbsttatig Senior member

This is a really great thread. Thanks.

A few of these I wouldn't say are freaks really. Just big. Some of the other ones are really scary though.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Ligers. Very cool. Not a freak but close enough.

[​IMG]

Reminds me of a bad QI joke

Q. What do you get when a lion mates with a tiger?
    A. A scandal.

10. FilterDecay

FilterDecay New Member

crazy but i feel like some of that has to be photoshoped

11. selbsttatig

selbsttatig Senior member

12. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

Seriously I cant keep saying this, all these animals exist- check em out yourself on a search engine.

The reason Im able to find this stuff is I already know about them, Ive been ana mateur biologist since about the age of ..five?

anyways,

Thisll get the taste buds flowing.
    Apparently every year swimmers in Huadu's Furong reservoir would go missing, presumed drowned. One major case was a brother of a local official who disappeared with a friend out on the lake.

However they did catch this one day, by all accounts it appears to be a 3m long juvenile Whale Shark 鲸鲨; no one knows how it got into a freshwater landlocked reservoir:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apparently the remains of a man were found inside.

Because this was a huge incident, and the local government was afraid of the impact on local tourism, they imposed an embargo on the news, but people came away with these pictures taken on their cell phones of the fish.

The Huadu council went on to make a statement to dissociate itself from the posts, saying that the contents of the post do not match the photos. (People were calling it a 3m giant catfish). Also, no sighting of any large man-eating fish had been reported, and that no deaths have occurred in the reservoir between 25 July of last year and now.

They also imposed a swimming ban. (hmmm...)

the statement is here, if you can read Chinese:
    http://gd.sohu.com/20070703/n250880359.shtml

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

That poor whale-shark looks a bit worried.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Insects are my favorite. Here is a Praying Mantis catching a Hummingbird.

[​IMG]

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

Great post. Also: get my gun.

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Hard to believe that this newborn ... [​IMG] grows into this ... [​IMG] Also, this guy is one of the more disgusting specimens around. The goliath bird-eating spider. Have a close look at the photo. [​IMG]

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I find the anteater rather bizarre: [​IMG] Angler Fish: [​IMG]

18. sonick

sonick Senior member

[​IMG] Blue-Ringed Octopus The blue-ringed octopus is currently one of the most toxic known sea creatures. Another cephalopod, Pfeffer's Flamboyant Cuttlefish, produces a venom roughly equal in potency to that of the blue-ringed octopus. Despite its small size, the blue-ringed octopus carries enough poison to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. It is essential that immediate and full time respiratory support be given (e.g. artificial respiration/rescue breathing) even if the victim appears not to be responding. Tetrodotoxin poisoning can result in the victim being fully aware of his/her surroundings but unable to breathe. Because of the paralysis that occurs they have no way of signalling for help or any way of indicating distress. Respiratory support, together with reassurance, until medical assistance arrives ensures that the victim will generally recover well. There is no known antidote.

19. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

I remember seeing a nature presenter finding one of these on the beach and playing with it, and the cameraman asking, is it okay? The presenter was all, yeh, I think so, it's just a baby. He was holding it with his bare hands and practically cuddling it. Then his voice over came on, actually he found out later what he was playing with was a fully grown adult male in warning colours, and highly pissed off.

20. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

A mexican Ajolote - its not a snake, its not a lizard, its an Amphisbaenia. It only has two legs, no ears and uses its legs to burrow.

[​IMG]

inny cute!
    [​IMG]

Slender loris, neurotic fuzzball from the jungles of Sri Lanka

not having a good day:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have such big eyes because they are nocturnal
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

pweez dont hurt me
    [​IMG]
    baby