1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fa-reaks of nature

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zupermaus, Apr 25, 2008.

1. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

very awesome... when i started reading this thread i knew that new prehistoric shark would be mentioned...

this really interests me--as a pre-med major, I'm taking lots of biology courses.

i especially like the parasitic spores--if chuck norris were a spore, this is the spore he'd be.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A small but highly efficient killing machine"”a hornet two inches long and with a wingspan up to three inches"”lurks in the mountains of Japan. The voracious predator has a quarter-inch stinger that pumps out a dose of venom with an enzyme so strong it can dissolve human tissue.

Bees, other hornet species, and larger insects such as praying mantises are no match for the giant hornets, which often stalk their prey in relentless armies. Just one of these hornets can kill 40 European honeybees a minute; a handful of the creatures can slaughter 30,000 European honeybees within hours, leaving a trail of severed insect heads and limbs.

People are not the Japanese giant hornet's usual prey, but those who have felt its sting describe the pain as excruciating. Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University, near Tokyo, said it's "like a hot nail through my leg."

Someone who is stung by the hornet and doesn't receive proper treatment soon thereafter can die from the venom, which is powerful enough to disintegrate human flesh. About 40 people die each year after being stung by giant hornets

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

From wiki on that bee thing up there: "In Japan's mountain villages, the larvae and pupae of hornets are valued as a delicacy. They are eaten deep fried or as a kind of hornet sashimi." DAYumm.

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cassowaries are badass. One of them threatened me in Vienna, carving up a tree trunk.

Keas are crazy. They live in the mountains -- amid the snow -- in New Zealand and are fiendishly intelligent.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

As an amateur enthusiast of natural history, I appreciate these animals though my Victorian-science side wants to taxidermy every single one of them for a collection.

The Mola Mola:

[​IMG]

Gharial:

[​IMG]

Coelacanth:

[​IMG]

The famous platypus:

[​IMG]

Portuguese Man of War:

[​IMG]

The Whale Shark:

[​IMG]

6. Kaizen

Kaizen Senior member

I am never going outside again! [​IMG]

7. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

Right, hereby presenting...

The box jellyfish - there are 19 different species

[​IMG]

The worlds most venomous creature, said to be the greatest pain one can inflict upon a person. In breeding seasons millions of these things suspend their tentacles through Australian waters forcing thousands of beaches to close - and believe me you wouldnt want to go swimming. 5,600 people have died since 1950.

[​IMG]

There are up to 60 tentacles 3 metres long on each one of these suckers. The slightest hair trigger will shoot tiny harpoons into your skin that pump out the venom - a substance so toxic it dissolves human flesh via the arteries, and hits every pain receptor in your immune system.

A researcher describes being stung very very slightly. Whilst holding a jellyfish inside a bucket, one of the tentacles was drooped over the edge of the slop. As the researcher walked the tentacle swayed and just touched his hand. He said that tiny hair touch was like someone holding a red hot poker to him and not moving.

Eyewitnesses describe the death of an unfortunate swimmer who jumped in the sea ignoring the warning signs. Within seconds they heard an inhuman scream, the man was frothing and having a fit. They dragged him out and he had passed out from the pain - he had been stung all across his torso. The paramedics took a while to arrive to the deserted beach, and took him to the city, where he died later in hospital.
    ...But get this, he was screaming the whole time, on the beach, through the ambulance ride, on the operating table - unconscious. Not moaning, screaming.

survivors are scarred for life
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

more Mola mola albino specimen [​IMG] cute juveniles [​IMG] adult [​IMG] Up to 11ft long [​IMG]

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Portuguese Man of War:

[​IMG]

[/IMG]

I've been stung by one of these a couple times. It sucks ass.

10. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I try to stay away from nature. The creatures out there always seem up to something.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Flamboyant Cuttlefish which walks as its main form of movement: [​IMG] Birds of Paradise: [​IMG] The now extinct Quagga, which was a zebra sub-species: [​IMG]

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

13. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

they say every day do something that scares you [​IMG]

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

This thread rocks. I love being introduced to new species, without the obligatory crikey.

+1. Amazing stuff, but creeping my shit OUT!

I bet after reading this, whomever it was in the other thread that had the centipede in his room is glad it was only a centipede!

15. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

this ones for you wilkie: These have a poisonous bite [​IMG] the Amazonian variety (baby): [​IMG] And the biggest f***er of all be warned footage of a mouse fed to a giant centipede:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

^^ The natural world and the creatures in it are some of the most fascinating and freakishly disgusting things!!

I can't watch that video at work, but when I get home tonight, first thing I'm doin is watching a centipede eating a mouse!

17. Homme

Homme Senior member

^ I saw a video of a mouse (in an enclosed fish tank) getting eaten by piranhas once. Poor little thing was trying to swin around and avoid them, but they caught it and started biting off chunks of flesh. It didn't last long.

18. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

I don't get why we don't kill them ourselves with a quick blow (flick of the tail) just before feeding them to the pet. The best way apparently is to put them in the freezer [​IMG]

19. zupermaus

zupermaus Senior member

I just got this sent to me from another forum. Seriously, it looks like Bigfoot's oven glove.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Apparently its a hairy caterpillar moth from Bolivia. Another baby sent: The Shield Octopus (aka Dumbo Octopus). It can grow to 1.5 m across! [​IMG] this is how I felt in my job interview yesterday [​IMG] The Glowing Sucker Octopus (aka Rosemary's Baby) [​IMG]

20. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A small but highly efficient killing machine"”a hornet two inches long and with a wingspan up to three inches"”lurks in the mountains of Japan. The voracious predator has a quarter-inch stinger that pumps out a dose of venom with an enzyme so strong it can dissolve human tissue.

Bees, other hornet species, and larger insects such as praying mantises are no match for the giant hornets, which often stalk their prey in relentless armies. Just one of these hornets can kill 40 European honeybees a minute; a handful of the creatures can slaughter 30,000 European honeybees within hours, leaving a trail of severed insect heads and limbs.

People are not the Japanese giant hornet's usual prey, but those who have felt its sting describe the pain as excruciating. Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University, near Tokyo, said it's "like a hot nail through my leg."

Someone who is stung by the hornet and doesn't receive proper treatment soon thereafter can die from the venom, which is powerful enough to disintegrate human flesh. About 40 people die each year after being stung by giant hornets

great thread and great posts so far. related to this, check this video out, 10 of these big japanese hornets eat and kill thousands and thousands of normal honey bees.

http://www.popgive.com/2007/12/10-gi...-vs-10000.html