Expertise in your career

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Milpool, Dec 15, 2010.

1. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

An expert is someone that knows more than their client [​IMG]

I'm certainly an expert to my clients but put me in a room alongside the people who build the software I implement and I'm a drooling idiot in comparison.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

What metrics are useful for determining expertise? Number of invited talks you give around the world? Nobel prize? Paycheck size?

I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

more than that - if you have a good idea of what your industry is up to, you can often see how people like you are doing, and how you compare.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Tax lawyering definitely requires expertise... I am certainly not an expert but that takes time given the subject matter.

4. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

6. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I can't imagine you need expertise to be a mid level manager. So I guess I am competent. But then I see many peers who lack both and still survive.

I'm always reminded that management is repetitive, boring and no one makes a movie about it.

7. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I have neither expertise nor competence. However, I am a commanding figure and know how to impress people.

My stars...that is impressive.

I'd say when other people who do what you do contact you on a regular basis for advice, that is a sign of expertise, or when organizations of your peers ask you to speak.

Well then.... [​IMG]

I'm asked about once a quarter to speak on public assistance fraud. Given that I stutter, I'm somewhat amused, flattered.

I used to stammer, but not since I was a kid.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

So that brings up one of the points in the discussion I had: what is more economical, lots of competent workers or one expert?

Defintely competent workers.

I am a jedi in my field.

You may think so young padawan[​IMG]

10. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Expertly competent at it.

My core competence is expertise.

impressive.

11. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Tax lawyering definitely requires expertise... I am certainly not an expert but that takes time given the subject matter.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

There are only a couple of hundred people in the world who do what I do; while I'm not an expert in the sense that there are academics in the field who know the details much better than I do, I am more than competent in applications, and knowing how the details affect applications.

Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive. I can deal with that.

~ H

13. SField

SField Senior member

Another cool point I have recently realized is that because it is so complicated, and because I can explain it clearly but without dumbing it down -- that combines to make me impressive.

~ H

One of my mentors, and definitely one of the most accomplished people of the last century in food, told me that that is the basic element of mastery.

14. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

I'm probably one of a handful of lawyers who can be keep you out of jail in MD/DC when you get caught with a few hundred units of heroin in your SUV.

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I am expert in the market I operate and pretty highly regarded in my field generally. The absence of any other experts in my industry in my market means that I have to make something of a personal priority to keeping my own skills up, it would be very very easy to fall behind here. So...I do.