• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise Question & Answer

nictan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
1 1/2-2 hrs plus is ideal for solid poods to be digested. stuff like smoothies, give it an hr or so

i dont think food takes that fast to be digested though. iirc i remember reading somewhere that it takes longer than that.
confused.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nictan
i dont think food takes that fast to be digested though. iirc i remember reading somewhere that it takes longer than that.
confused.gif

maybe if you eat an american sized serving i.e. 3x more than you should be eating at a serving

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
I sometimes feel sick to my stomach after working out. What would be the cause of this?? I do take NO Xplode approximately 30 minutes before I work out.

well the possibilities are too numerous for anyone to speculate over the interconnect without a lot more info. i can tell you to lay off the NO explode or any other NO product for that matter. there is no concrete proof that they do anything for you. in fact most studies real studies show its pretty worthless. i could talk for hours about supplements, but there is a lot of caffiene in NO explode which causes dicomfort to some if youre not used to that amount

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
theres nothing mental about it. im not saying you cant grind through a tough workout having only eaten the night before, but by then all of the carbs that you didnt use (almost all of them in this case) for energy will have been converted into glycogen and stored in your muscles making the energy source less bioavailable. by eating a decent breakfast, which should be one of you bigger meals, about an hour and a half before your workout your body will be primed for action. eating a lot at night and nothing in the morning is pretty much ass backwards from what would be ideal for someone wanting to maintain lower bodyfat levels. a decent breakfast could consist of a variety of foods, but this is the one meal that you want to contain a fair amount of carbs, plus lots of protien and healthy fats from foods like peanut butter (not sausage) which should be in all of your meals

Maybe in status quo land. That said I am a fat ass.

CorneliusP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I feel my deadlifts are stalled at 200 lbs due to grip strength. Should I work on grip strength or is it simpler to assume deadlifts are improving my grip well enough on their own?

2 anecdotes that may be helpful but probably not:

When I got to around 250# on my deadlift, I was stalling too. I was training only 1x5 at that time. The next few weeks I kept the weight at 250 and increased my volume to 3x5. After 3 weeks, I went to max and pulled 300 1x3, still overhand only. I continued from there doing 3x5 at 250 + 10 per week.

Later I began stalling at 300 3x5 due to grip. After 4 reps, the bar was no longer firmly against my palm (it was resting in the crooks of my fingers). By the 5th rep, the bar was almost out of my grip entirely. Switched to mixed grip and voila, progress proceeded.

So uh, switch up the rep scheme and/or go mixed grip.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds like perfectly legit advice to me and I'm gonna implement it right away. Stagnating on deadlifts for so long has probably hindered me in other areas, as well. Definitely time to turn that around.

Now if I could only figure a way to make slight progress on the overhead press. I have my fingers crossed that perfect pushups might help. I was also shocked to find out I can't do a single full motion diamond pushup. I seriously had a what the **** moment.

If I go another 2-4 weeks without minor progress, I think I'm gonna try tossing in a half liter of 2% a day.

As far as the food question goes, I don't have time to eat a big ass breakfast on my third day. I was debating what the best 200 cals to consume would be on those mornings. Carb, fat, or protein... oats, pb, egg beaters, or yogurt, for example. I'm leaning towards pb as the volume of food is so small.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pb would work. i always have a protien shake in addition to a little solid foor even if im not working out in the morning. its good stuff to have around

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PB and coffee seems to work.

If I forget to do shoulder dislocations before squatting, I can't get the bar to the 'low' position.

I think perfect pushups helped my overhead press. I also took it a little slower between sets at one minute as opposed to 30 seconds. I don't want to go longer than that, though.

I feel good about increasing reps on deadlifts. Stronglifts says to only do 1x5 because squatting 3x / week is rough as is. I've been stagnate, though, and I have overhead on deads I am not utilizing, so I'm gonna push them for a while.

I'm reading "Brawn" by Stuart McRobert and enjoying it. He's slow to get to the point, but it seems like a good read.

Some (thankfully cheap) pants I bought at 120 lbs are starting to get tight in the thighs at 135.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that having a pump in your delts is the most painful? Sure, after a heavy leg day I wobble around and might feel kind of queasy, but no other muscle group seems to have the same throbbing feeling PWO.

Reaction score
I have 2 quick questions. They are more health/nutrition related, but I figured you guys might know it anyway.

1. Why is there such a hatred of Carbohydrates? Do Carbs turn into fat?

2. Is it bad to eat meals right before sleeping? Is less fat burned from the meal because you aren't expending energy?

Thanks.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommanderPeanut
I have 2 quick questions. They are more health/nutrition related, but I figured you guys might know it anyway.

2. Is it bad to eat meals right before sleeping? Is less fat burned from the meal because you aren't expending energy?

Thanks.

1. yes. if not used for energy they turn into glycogen, then to fat 2. yes and yes

John152

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommanderPeanut

Everything turns into fat eventually; its the long term storage format for your body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads