• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise Question & Answer

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with rest days and bodyweight exercises. Say, if I do some pullups the day after I hit back & bis with the weights, will it slow down my muscles' recovery time, or are the stresses that free weights and bodyweight exercises place on the muscles different enough that they don't interfere with each other?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
What's the deal with rest days and bodyweight exercises. Say, if I do some pullups the day after I hit back & bis with the weights, will it slow down my muscles' recovery time, or are the stresses that free weights and bodyweight exercises place on the muscles different enough that they don't interfere with each other?

It adds to total volume. It matters. Focus on results and not the intricacies of a program -- if the program is achieving the result it doesn't need to change. If it's not, change it.

ulim

Reaction score

I don't know the details of your routine, but I would actually do the pullups and the other back exercise on the same day (with the pullups first, a non-back exercise next, then whatever other back exercise you want to do), rather than targeting the back muscles on two consecutive days.

This is more efficient, will provide sufficient rest to your back, and will prevent overtraining your back, which can lead to injury.

ulim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommanderPeanut
1. Why is there such a hatred of Carbohydrates? Do Carbs turn into fat?

The previous replies answered the 2nd question, but not the first, which can be misleading.

The trend to hate on carbs is a massive disservice to the health and well-being of people everywhere. The preferred energy source for the body derives from carbs, proper brain function necessitates the consumption of carbs, and foods that are high in carbs (like multigrain breads) are a great source of fiber, which is severely lacking in most American diets.

The primary reason for the anti-carb movement is the prominence of several fad diets like the Atkins diets, which supposedly works by basically replacing carbs with protein. This causes the body to go into starvation mode (ketosis), and begins to use protein as its energy source. The by-product of ketosis is the elimination of fat, but this is very inefficient and more often than not only leads to temporary weight loss, most of it being water weight.

All prevailing science and fitness journals suggest what we have known for a long time:

A balanced diet and regular physical activity is required to promote lasting weight loss and a healthy body.

These "special" diets that cut out entire groups of foods are only temporary in their effects at best.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ulim
The previous replies answered the 2nd question, but not the first, which can be misleading.

The trend to hate on carbs is a massive disservice to the health and well-being of people everywhere. The preferred energy source for the body derives from carbs, proper brain function necessitates the consumption of carbs, and foods that are high in carbs (like multigrain breads) are a great source of fiber, which is severely lacking in most American diets.

The primary reason for the anti-carb movement is the prominence of several fad diets like the Atkins diets, which supposedly works by basically replacing carbs with protein. This causes the body to go into starvation mode (ketosis), and begins to use protein as its energy source. The by-product of ketosis is the elimination of fat, but this is very inefficient and more often than not only leads to temporary weight loss, most of it being water weight.

All prevailing science and fitness journals suggest what we have known for a long time:

A balanced diet and regular physical activity is required to promote lasting weight loss and a healthy body.

These "special" diets that cut out entire groups of foods are only temporary in their effects at best.

your body does not need carbs, and neither does your brain. our "food pyramid" is bullshit. your brain needs a small amount of glucose which can be produced from protien and unsaturated fats. yes, carbs are your bodys preferred energy source, but by eliminating them and supplementing your diet with protien and keeping your nitrogen balance in check your body is much more likely to attack stored fat instead of muscle.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the type of weight (body or free) has nothing to do with overtraining. if you do "some pullups" one day you can pretty much do whatever you want the next unless your definition of some is 200. the big fuss is over training the same bodypart 2 or more days in a row. i can say without a doubt that unless you train until you feel like vomiting you need not be concerned with overtraining. however, if it hurts dont do it

ulim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
your body does not need carbs, and neither does your brain. our "food pyramid" is bullshit. your brain needs a small amount of glucose which can be produced from protien and unsaturated fats. yes, carbs are your bodys preferred energy source, but by eliminating them and supplementing your diet with protien and keeping your nitrogen balance in check your body is much more likely to attack stored fat instead of muscle.

Your body doesn't "attack" fat as a result of a low/no-carb, high protein diet. There is absolutely no science behind this claim.

There is also no science behind your claim that "our food pyramid is bullshit."

You will need to cite some credible sources if you want to make such outrageous claims.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Anyone else think that having a pump in your delts is the most painful? Sure, after a heavy leg day I wobble around and might feel kind of queasy, but no other muscle group seems to have the same throbbing feeling PWO.

Not at all. They're fine when they pump, on the off chance that they do get pumped at all.

My shoulders don't get pumped, at least not like other muscle groups.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Uhoh... we are witnessing the growth of two SF HB know-it-alls
fight[1].gif

To be fair, each seems to have some sort of understanding of what they talk about.

No Beasty comparisons yet
laugh.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your body doesn't "attack" fat as a result of a low/no-carb, high protein diet. There is absolutely no science behind this claim.

You will need to cite some credible sources if you want to make such outrageous claims.

im not trying to be an ass so dont get offended, but that food pyamid might work for a manual laborer who runs track. way too high on the carbs. no, a few carbs wout kill you, but its no big secret that a high protien diet helps preserve muscle

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is his statement any more outrageous than yours? It's not like you quoted a ******* thing, so where do you get off? Read the evils of fructose thread on this forum and watch the video.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It adds to total volume. It matters. Focus on results and not the intricacies of a program -- if the program is achieving the result it doesn't need to change. If it's not, change it.

wmmk,

'why' really has the nuts of the deal summed up right here. A lot of the reading out there seems to suggest that there is just one way that over training reveals itself, when in reality there are a number of ways over training can show up.

A subtle way in which over training can catch you off guard is simply a lack of progress, which we tend to interpret as needing even more training. Some people recover very rapidly and more does more for them. You may be the opposite today and you may be that more is more guy in your twenties. The only real way to know what's up is to monitor progress and tune into your performance and recovery.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is really an extremely complex question, but I was wondering if there is a simplified rule of thumb regarding muscle mass and strength. An example would be a statement that sounds like, "An increase in 5 lbs of lean muscle mass will increase max squat weight by 20 lbs." Do any such rules of thumb exist?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I know this is really an extremely complex question, but I was wondering if there is a simplified rule of thumb regarding muscle mass and strength. An example would be a statement that sounds like, "An increase in 5 lbs of lean muscle mass will increase max squat weight by 20 lbs." Do any such rules of thumb exist?

No, and anyone that claims they do is an idiot. Strength increases aren't linear (lighter people will have a lower 1RM:lean mass ratio) and leverage differences factor in a lot (that's why there's no tall people in any Olympic weight classes under the heavyweights).

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I read this thing online that said one should make sure to eat plenty of red meat and eggs to obtain dietary cholesterol as testosterone is produced from it. Is that true?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads