• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Euro Trip Packing List

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wess
Being a backpacker myself, and living in the Netherlands, I think I can contribute a little bit.

Flip flops! It's a must. You'll see.

No, shorts will be useless (besides from maybe sleeping in them).

With the T's and sweatshirt, you won't need 4 or 5 extra shirts. Only bring whatever you think you'll really really need. If you need more, you can always buy it there. No reason to carry ANY extra weight "just to be sure".

Just to emphasize it, read the last sentence again. Goes for anything you want to bring.

Why are you bringing a blazer? You've stated you aren't going to be visiting nice restaurants or anything like that. I've never brought them on my trips, never needed it.

A scarf could be a good idea... but like I said earlier, you'll see when you get there. Buy em there if you think it's necessary (I only wear scarfs during the winter here, but that's just me).

And no, leather jacket is a stupid idea, too heavy.

Oh, and, NB shoes scream ME=TOURIST.... just so you're aware of that)

All good points. I assume the flips flops are for the showers in hostels etc?

Wess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
All good points. I assume the flips flops are for the showers in hostels etc?
Yeah. Mainly for the showers, it can get nasty. About dressing while backpacking in general. Might not be a populair opinion on this forum, but you shouldn't care too much about how you look. It'll distract you from actually enjoying your trip. I think I do generally dress better than most backpackers (which is not that hard btw). But one rule I have is not sacrificing baggage weight for style. For example, I like to bring very few t-shirts. Instead, I buy 2 or 3 H&M dress shirts for the trip. Cheap (disposable), light, versatile (rolling sleeves when it gets warmer, tucking in when you meet a hot Dutch chick), comfortable and somewhat stylish. And you'll look less like a tourist. I always leave my more expensive clothes home. Everything I bring is disposable. You don't want to be afraid of ruining a piece of clothing during your trip. If the backpack itself isn't the most expensive thing you are carrying, something is wrong. A plain (v-neck?) gray of navy sweater is a great idea. It's versatile and gives you options. Put it over a dress shirt, t-shirt or without anything under it depending on the weather. You shouldn't bring too many T's. Use them to sleep in or layer with, it'll be too cold to wear them outside. Go for cheap 2 or 3 dress shirts like I do instead. And don't be afraid of wearing them (at least) 3 days in a row... FWIW, my go-to shoe when travelling are Vans Authentics. They are comfortable, cheap, can take a beating and (most importantly) won't make you look like a tourist, almost anywhere you go. Some backpackers will cringe and swear by running/hiking shoes. I really never had the feeling I needed those.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Mainly for the showers, it can get nasty.

About dressing while backpacking in general. Might not be a populair opinion on this forum, but you shouldn't care too much about how you look. It'll distract you from actually enjoying your trip.

I think I do generally dress better than most backpackers (which is not that hard btw). But one rule I have is not sacrificing baggage weight for style. For example, I like to bring very few t-shirts. Instead, I buy 2 or 3 H&M dress shirts for the trip. Cheap (disposable), light, versatile (rolling sleeves when it gets warmer, tucking in when you meet a hot Dutch chick), comfortable and somewhat stylish. And you'll look less like a tourist.

I always leave my more expensive clothes home. Everything I bring is disposable. You don't want to be afraid of ruining a piece of clothing during your trip. If the backpack itself isn't the most expensive thing you are carrying, something is wrong.

A plain (v-neck?) gray of navy sweater is a great idea. It's versatile and gives you options. Put it over a dress shirt, t-shirt or without anything under it depending on the weather.

You shouldn't bring too many T's. Use them to sleep in or layer with, it'll be too cold to wear them outside. Go for cheap 2 or 3 dress shirts like I do instead. And don't be afraid of wearing them (at least) 3 days in a row...

All excellent points. I'm not actually going to do alot of touristy stuff (i.e. hike along a pretty coastline or see landmarks), I'll be on time off from work so I'll be looking to eat and drink my way across some countries (as I'll be lacking booze and good food where I'm working). I'm packing light so I can be mobile. I'm going to drop the blazer as suggested, I'm bringing more then 3 tees simply because I'll be able to comfortably go t shirt + jacket for most of the time with a sweater for when it gets cold. Although I might go snag some cheap lightweight shirts for that instead (as opposed to t-shirts). I was basically only bringing 'nicer' shirts and something other then my NBs (not the old man white ones, in case that was the impression I gave) for going to a bar.

It seems like you've done this before (I haven't had the chance to do much international travelling except for heading somewhere hot during the winter, and when I do that I bring a big duffel bag), thanks for the great advice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Japanese and French buyers seem to have the capsule wardrobe down to a tee. The French model would probably fit you better. Dark jacket. "Baller" sneakers and or casual oxfords (n.d.c.s, maybe). Dark jeans. A few layering pieces. A manbag of some sort so that you don't have your pockets full of crap.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Japanese and French buyers seem to have the capsule wardrobe down to a tee. The French model would probably fit you better. Dark jacket. "Baller" sneakers and or casual oxfords (n.d.c.s, maybe). Dark jeans. A few layering pieces. A manbag of some sort so that you don't have your pockets full of crap.
Maybe this thread can be salvaged.. If this is the French capsule w. model you described, what would the Japanese consist??

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Maybe this thread can be salvaged..

If this is the French capsule w. model you described, what would the Japanese consist??

Japanese buyers tend to dress thematically (remember, these are fashion buyers we are talking about here.) So, if a guy's look is "steampunk hobo", it's not a workwear jacket with jeans. It's the whole deal. Hobo crushed hat, tweed blazer, colllarless shirt, waist high flannel trousers, hobnailed boots. Paisley scarf for accent. When your outfit is so out of context from the norm, the conventions that govern what you should wear in a particular situation just don't pertain to you. For example, the Steampunk hobo (and I'm taking this from a real example I've seen) can wear the same getup to chill out in the morning or to go to dinner at the Ritz.

I have a feeling that John is not ready for Steampunk hobo. If Steampunk hobo is Yoda, then John (at least from the posts I've read) is one of Jabba's lesser minions. Or maybe a 3rd generation Stormtrooper (after they lost their ability to take cover effectively.)

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese buyers tend to dress thematically (remember, these are fashion buyers we are talking about here.) So, if a guy's look is "steampunk hobo", it's not a workwear jacket with jeans. It's the whole deal. Hobo crushed hat, tweed blazer, colllarless shirt, waist high flannel trousers, hobnailed boots. Paisley scarf for accent. When your outfit is so out of context from the norm, the conventions that govern what you should wear in a particular situation just don't pertain to you. For example, the Steampunk hobo (and I'm taking this from a real example I've seen) can wear the same getup to chill out in the morning or to go to dinner at the Ritz.

I have a feeling that John is not ready for Steampunk hobo. If Steampunk hobo is Yoda, then John (at least from the posts I've read) is one of Jabba's lesser minions. Or maybe a 3rd generation Stormtrooper (after they lost their ability to take cover effectively.)

Whatever Star Wars character has an unhealthy fetish with all things Americana and selvedge would be me.

I was mostly looking for input from people who have done this before (like 'Wess'). No need to worry about my 'look' or my 'swag'. I do well enough for myself that I don't worry about judgment from internet douchebags.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever Star Wars character has an unhealthy fetish with all things Americana and selvedge would be me.

I was mostly looking for input from people who have done this before (like 'Wess'). No need to worry about my 'look' or my 'swag'. I do well enough for myself that I don't worry about judgment from internet douchebags.

Well, I've done this before. I spent 5 consecutive summers travelling around Europe, and also spent a couple of summers working there (Scandanavia.)

And just because you bristle at my tone doesn't mean that my assessment of you (which is hardly unique) is not correct. There are other heritage fans (Zissou, for example) who don't draw the ire that do you. I'm guessing that I have a lot more background on Americana than do you. I was shopping at the original RRL store in LA at the end of the 3rd Street strip in the early 2000's, and into brands like Engineered Garments in its first US season, close to 2 years before Odin opened, to give you some context. I have always been a proponent of heritage brands. However, I do not like the close-minded attitude that you regularly display for other styles.

Maybe you are a very openminded guy in person, but your online persona does not suggest that to be the case.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've done this before. I spent 5 consecutive summers travelling around Europe, and also spent a couple of summers working there (Scandanavia.) And just because you bristle at my tone doesn't mean that my assessment of you (which is hardly unique) is not correct. There are other heritage fans (Zissou, for example) who don't draw the ire that do you. I'm guessing that I have a lot more background on Americana than do you. I was shopping at the original RRL store in LA at the end of the 3rd Street strip in the early 2000's, and into brands like Engineered Garments in its first US season, close to 2 years before Odin opened, to give you some context. I have always been a proponent of heritage brands. However, I do not like the close-minded attitude that you regularly display for other styles. Maybe you are a very openminded guy in person, but your online persona does not suggest that to be the case.
I'm not as good at ignoring the more established trolls like Zissou et al are. And perhaps it would be wise to consider that many of the proponents of 'other styles' here are the same pricks referred to in the last sentance. I appreciate all styles of clothing, and provide 'props' when due to people who deserve it. Either way it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I participate in other topics of interest to me without any problems and enjoy winding up the trolls (as they themselves enjoy doing to others). And its funny you mention 'steampunk hobo', there were a couple of people I knew way back when who dressed like that in high school. When done right, it actually looks really, really cool. And being from Canada, I dressed 'heritage-y' before it was popular simply because that's what we had available (none of them fancy designer stores up here). Except for a minor ghetto skinhead/punk thing in high school. Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to narrow down my 3 weeks to just the British Isles (focusing on Ireland/Scotland). What would be the most efficient way to get around? I've got the means to rent a car but am curious if it would end up being more of a hinderance then a help.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And being from Canada, I dressed 'heritage-y' before it was popular simply because that's what we had available (none of them fancy designer stores up here). Except for a minor ghetto skinhead/punk thing in high school.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to narrow down my 3 weeks to just the British Isles (focusing on Ireland/Scotland). What would be the most efficient way to get around? I've got the means to rent a car but am curious if it would end up being more of a hinderance then a help.

You'll notice that very few people rag on Zissou. It's not the choice of clothes, it's the attitude. And I let people of all styles know when they are being douchebags.

I grew up in Canada too. I'm 36, so when I was a kid, in the 80's, there were not a lot of options. Doesn't mean that you are limited to the experiences of your childhood though. Lots of designers originated from the midwest, for example.

Don't bother getting a car. The train system is easy to use, convenient and cheaper. Also, gas is much more expensive in Europe (particularly Scandanavia) than in Canada or the States, and petty crime (including car breakin) is rampant in the UK.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll notice that very few people rag on Zissou. It's not the choice of clothes, it's the attitude. And I let people of all styles know when they are being douchebags. I grew up in Canada too. I'm 36, so when I was a kid, in the 80's, there were not a lot of options. Doesn't mean that you are limited to the experiences of your childhood though. Lots of designers originated from the midwest, for example. Don't bother getting a car. The train system is easy to use, convenient and cheaper. Also, gas is much more expensive in Europe (particularly Scandanavia) than in Canada or the States, and petty crime (including car breakin) is rampant in the UK.
Don't worry, it takes a while but I grow on people. Like herpes. Point taken on car. I'll probably go rail/flights instead (I'll likely end up flying into Germany and then going forward from there to the UK/Ireland).

filcol

Reaction score
Pack things that are "big purchases" (a second pair of shoes, a jacket for cold/rain etc) because I don't think you want to buy those big things when you're there.
But on the other hand, don't pack the most expensive things, because you'll maybe ruin them.

Don't pack so many shirts.
Buy Tee's / Undies / Socks for cheap in europe, so you don't have to pack so much.
Pack one pair of high quality denim that lasts.
Scarf is important.

I live in germany, so I can tell you a bit about the weather:
It's very unstable, you should be prepared for rain, wind and cold but also for some warmer days.

If it's not about being super well dressed, I suggest to get yourself some sort of waterproof pocket jacket. I got one too. You really only need it if it rains hard. Mine is just a black jacket with no label on it, it fits fine, it's not as fancy as a designer piece of course but it doesn't look terrible, works fine, is very small when packed and costs 15$.
You're not wasting space with a big stylish rain jacket then.
If you could forget about a second pair of shoes you would save up a lot of space but I don't know if it's okay for you.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's alot of tourists in Copenhagen then, I see maybe 50 pairs of NB 420 everyday (not including mine)

Scandinavia in october / november is either raining or snowing, so bring a warm jacket, knitted hat, scarf and some footwear that can candle slippery cobblestone and snow.

(We had snow on the ground from mid November to mid February in Copenhagen this winter.)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long will you be traveling for? That makes the a big difference in me being able to offer you suggestions. Also what is your budget? Some conflicting opinions below from me, just going off what a few posters have mentioned earlier.

Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Looks good. I'd take a leather jacket as well.

Moderately cool at worst.

Depends how old the OP is. I never wear leather jackets in the states but always have one for Europe. If you're worried about weight get a fake leather one. During the time you're going it's going to be a lot cooler than you seem to think it will be. For your coat I'd go with something wool, that can be dressed up or down. It may get warm sometimes, but you'll be glad to have it when it's snowing. A scarf is a must as well.

Just because you tend to be casual doesn't mean you'll need to be better dressed for something unexpected. A clean wool coat can be dressy when you need it to be. Even if you're eating in a Michelin star place you won't need a tie, but you do need to look presentable when you walk in. I'd also add in a pair of chinos to your lineup. Some places do not allow (or will look at you funny) when you're wearing jeans.

Originally Posted by filcol
Pack things that are "big purchases" (a second pair of shoes, a jacket for cold/rain etc) because I don't think you want to buy those big things when you're there.
But on the other hand, don't pack the most expensive things, because you'll maybe ruin them.

Don't pack so many shirts.
Buy Tee's / Undies / Socks for cheap in europe, so you don't have to pack so much.
Pack one pair of high quality denim that lasts.
Scarf is important.

If you want to minimize underwear get merino wool. It never smells. But you can always wash clothes in the shower/sink. I have a pair of beater laceups with rubber soles that I can take anywhere. It also depends on where exactly you're going. For example in Berlin, when we went out my friends said you wanted to look like you've been out all week. So my clean white sneakers needed to be dirtied up a bit. (Maybe they were a bit hip but still). If you're comfortable with it the pair of DB could be the only pair you need.

Being a backpacker myself, and living in the Netherlands, I think I can contribute a little bit.

Flip flops! It's a must. You'll see.

Yes on flip flops, no on NB. I'd go with a pair of black laceups or brown brogues/bulchers and the desert boots. Boat shoes are not something you'll want to wear during this timeframe in Europe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads