• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A heads up for those not quite so caught up in European politics as us! The current Brexit turmoil in the UK has the pound not far off a 5 year low against the dollar. All our prices are in £ - great time for you guys in the US to get a bargain!

Our Ready to Wear Range has great stock levels - still time for Christmas!

Charlie

ByTheOcean

Reaction score
What is the best option for me if I want a slim belt, 25-32mm? Would it be possible to get done under £80 or so?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What is the best option for me if I want a slim belt, 25-32mm? Would it be possible to get done under £80 or so?

At 32mm the world is really your oyster, everything we make can be had in the 30-32mm range. Getting a bit slimmer, we have quite a few belts in the 25 and 28mm range too. Depending on the look you want, Id say you should look at the West End, which starts at 19mm depending on the buckle. Im not sure if you are in the UK, but the Brass 25mm version is £95.60 inc Vat, and theres a Styleforum discount of 10% (the coupon is SF10%) so with VAT your close to your budget, without your well inside

australiannut_palladium_westend_buckled0395__psd_1500px_1.jpg

Another good choice would be the London Dee

or the Stirrup

Same ballpark price, and both go down to 25mm, so hopefully somthing you'll like!

Charlie

MorzoW

Reaction score
Hi Charlie, the new website is looking nice. I noticed the Shackleton belts and steel forged buckles weren't around, are they gone for good?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Charlie, the new website is looking nice. I noticed the Shackleton belts and steel forged buckles weren't around, are they gone for good?

Thank you. We're still working on the site, but its coming together!

The Shackleton is gone, not necessarily for ever but certainly for the the foresable: The specific leather we use for it has proved harder and harder to get in a timely manner, I think we went 6 months between deliveries for the last two batches - it also tends to get damaged easily in storage (harness leather can be quite scratchy when new) so given we couldnt store enough safely to cover the big delivery gaps we had to take the decision to drop it to prevent wait times escalating beyond the acceptable which they did last year. We'll review next year and if we can get the scheduling worked out it'll come back. The Scott is the original and IMO the best, so if you want a lovely harness belt we have just the thing :)

The Forged Steel buckles are special editions, so when we have some they'll appear, but like the Damascus they will remain blink and you'll miss them things. They will certainly reappear when our guy makes another batch though. We also have him working on a steel/brass creation that'll be fun I hope!

There are probably a few more things that are missing too - we didnt move products that where unavailable when we took the new site live, they'll come back as we get the leather/buckles back in

It sounds like we'll be able to bring the Suede back next year for eg, which is good news, plus introduce a Nubuck Lined and Raised

Hope that answers the question

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. We're still working on the site, but its coming together!

The Shackleton is gone, not necessarily for ever but certainly for the the foresable: The specific leather we use for it has proved harder and harder to get in a timely manner, I think we went 6 months between deliveries for the last two batches - it also tends to get damaged easily in storage (harness leather can be quite scratchy when new) so given we couldnt store enough safely to cover the big delivery gaps we had to take the decision to drop it to prevent wait times escalating beyond the acceptable which they did last year. We'll review next year and if we can get the scheduling worked out it'll come back. The Scott is the original and IMO the best, so if you want a lovely harness belt we have just the thing :)

Charlie
It was never clear to me exactly what the Shackleton and Scott belts were like, but I never asked for samples. I have the Russet belt, and, I think, an Australian Nut Baker's bridle belt. How would the Shackleton (RIP) and Scott have differed, other than color?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It was never clear to me exactly what the Shackleton and Scott belts were like, but I never asked for samples. I have the Russet belt, and, I think, an Australian Nut Baker's bridle belt. How would the Shackleton (RIP) and Scott have differed, other than color?

Interesting question!

The Scott and the Shackleton are harness leather, which in the leather trade is a really specific functional decription. It means the leather is pretty thick (5mm) and as part of the making process its dipped in a vat of hot tanners grease, which makes the leather stronger and more dense than regular leather, even of the same thickness. You can physically feel the difference, most Scotts you could stand on when theyre new and coiled up and they wont flex, but they break in absolutely amazingly.

In terms of comparing and contrasting, the Aus Nut (also RIP, the oil supplier want bankrupt years ago and is much missed) was really soft, oil finished, smelled amazing, slightly pull up and about 4mm. Much much softer than the Scott/Shackleton. The Russet is the same physical leather as the Scott/Shackleton, but without the processing to turn it in to harness, so same thickness but a little softer and technically not as strong. As a belt the strength is immaterial, its like saying oak is stronger than beech in a kitchen table - non issue.

Really all the Bakers leathers have their own little niche and characteristics, really interesting stuff

Charlie

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was one of the first buyers of the Russet when it came out, and while I had always thought of adding a Scott or Shackleton, I didn't really have any need for it, so i suppose I won't mourn the loss. And as you say, the Russet is unbelievably strong. It is several lifetimes away from wearing out. It has also darkened considerably though very unevenly. The Australian Nut is, likewise, still going strong and is quite supple and beautiful. It really smelled funny when new, but that is long faded. In a way, I would say that is a greater loss than the Shackleton leather.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was one of the first buyers of the Russet when it came out, and while I had always thought of adding a Scott or Shackleton, I didn't really have any need for it, so i suppose I won't mourn the loss. And as you say, the Russet is unbelievably strong. It is several lifetimes away from wearing out. It has also darkened considerably though very unevenly. The Australian Nut is, likewise, still going strong and is quite supple and beautiful. It really smelled funny when new, but that is long faded. In a way, I would say that is a greater loss than the Shackleton leather.

Would agree, as theres no close equivalent either from Bakers or elsewhere. They did try to make the leather with oil from a different supplier, but it was never the same.

I think any of the Bakers belts are probably multi lifetime really. I literally cant think of anyone ever breaking one, or wearing one out.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just ordered my first belt after having heard so many good things about you guys. However, during the order process I was unable to find a place to add the discount code (SF10%) mentioned above?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads