1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

My belts are shipped! AHHHHHHHHH!! :bounce2:

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hope they get to you soon and you like them :)

3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I washed the shirt once at 40°C and the dirt and the burgundy color is gone, not it is bright red that is left, ouch. :(
    A friend of mine took pictures of the unwashed shirt with his cell phone, I'll upload them as soon as he hands them to me.
    At least it has been a quite old shirt...
    Second round of machine washing in progress.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. Equus Leather

If you wouldn't mind PMing me the photos that would be great, I'd like to show them to Bakers for their comments. Hopefully some of the stain removal tips above might be of use in the mean time!

Charlie

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Dear Charlie,

I'll PM you the pictures as soon as I receive them from my friend.
    Will add some of the current status as well, as unluckily the second run did no change to the problem.
    Also, will have a chat with my mum, she's a magican and has removed a lot of stains I was not able to, maybe she has an idea.
    Not too keen to use bleach on the shirt but of course I will have a try if nothing else helps.

6. Equus Leather

Many thanks Louis, I'll keep in touch. I know the Bakers main man is on holiday till mid next week so it may not be for a few days though.

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

Probably a bad question but what is the difference between the satin and polished finish

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Satin (matte) vs polished (shiny) as far as I can tell.

9. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

I'm gonna get Australian Nut Bakers Bridle Belt, any recommendations for buckle or whether if I should get the buckle roller? Thinking about using it for jeans and more casual pants

10. bibs

bibs Senior member

just ordered a Oak Brown Bakers Bridle Leather Belt, looking forward to this one :slayer:

11. Equus Leather

This, basically. In slightly more detailed form the satin finished buckles start out life as a polished buckle and we dress them with a mild abrasive wheel so you get a softer, more matt finish thats made of lots of tiny scratches all going in the same direction. Its quite a tricky process to get right, the buckle has to be in excellent condition and finish first because the satin finish shows any flaws or unevenness of the surface and the buckle and wheel have to be manipulated really carefully so the effect is even.

Hope thats of some help!

Charlie

12. Equus Leather

I'm boring and I like the Nickel or Brass West Ends myself. We can use any of the buckles we carry the the Bakers AN though so let me know what you'd like and I'm sure we can sort it out for you.

Re the buckle roller, I don't know if you mean a metal roller or a leather one. Either way you don't need one, but if you like the look they are all nice so by all means have one if you like it.

Let me know if I can help any more,

Charlie

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Charlie,

I really like your leather offering but don't need another buckle like the ones you offer.

Can you make a bridle beather with double rings buckle?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  14. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

Yeah I saw a metal roller on one of the pictures and not on the other...is it a choice to have it or not?

And I'm not sure what the leather roller is, is there a picture I can see?

15. Equus Leather

We've made them before for people so I'm sure we can work out a design between us. Do you have an example of a design you like? My only reservation is the double ring design is quite hard on the leather - it copes absolutely fine it just ages faster than a more conventional design.

Drop me a PM and we can chat about the details if you like

Charlie

16. Equus Leather

Hi Asp

Its only the specific roller buckles that have the metal roller, for e.g. the Stainless West End Roller or Brass West End Roller . Neither buckle is an official option for the Bakers AN but you can either order through me or leave us a note at the checkout as to the buckle you'd like. I'm afraid I haven't a photo of the leather roller I'm afraid, but we just stitch a thinned bit of leather in place of the metal roller.

Hope that helps!

Charlie

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Hi Charlie,

Possibly interested in the midnight blue belt. Is it a true midnight blue, i.e., almost black? I am looking for a belt to match these:

[​IMG]

18. Equus Leather

Yes, it's nearly blacker than blue if anything. It's difficult to say from photos but I think it's as good a match for those shoes as your likely to find. I'm very happ to send you an offcut to see first hand if you like though?

Charlie

19. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I'm looking forward to receiving my 2 belts in a couple of weeks. Could you give a thumbnail sketch of the steps in the manufacturing process to help me understand why it takes a month between ordering the belts & their completion? I don't want to waste your time, but I'm curious about the artisan process.

Thank you very much,

Nick D.

20. Equus Leather

Hi Nick,

I shan't bore you with too many details but the thing that takes the time is getting all the ingredients of the belts, or anything else, together with us at the right time to make the right belt. Each belt is made individually for its eventual owner, we don't batch make or make stock and fulfill orders from that and because we're a small bespoke makers we have a very finite amount of craftsman time. When you combine that with the fact that our ingredients largely come from other little niche outfits we need to put a lot of slack timewise into the sysytem so we can at least try and under promise and over deliver both on quality most importantly and on timeliness.

As to why we do it this way, in all honesty it's mostly because I feel it's the right way to do it. The best products are those made individually and it's much easier to make a good belt or anything else if you know the name of the person who's ultimately going to own and hopefully love it. From a more boring business perspective we couldn't offer the range of choices we do if we fulfilled orders from stock. Just the West End http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Belts/West-End-Bridle-Leather-Belt/flypage.tpl.html belt all by it self is avalable in 5,832 possible combinations if my maths is right,even if you ignore Bakers leathers or bespoke options like custom hole spacing, contrast thread etc. Our waiting list gives us the ability to offer that amount of choice across quite a lot of products, I know in this day and age to some it seems really slow and I completely understand that it does seem slow to people, because nearly everyone else buys in and holds stock so is faster than us. I'd rather we kept making stuff what I possibly rather arrogantly think is the right way and loose a sale or two than be quicker and loose the soul of what we do though.

I hope that kind of answers the question. There are a couple of things I've written on the website that might also illuminate a bit about what we do http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Our-Heritage.html and http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Making-quality-leathergoods.html

Sorry for the long and probably rather dull rant, I'm somewhat of a slow manufacturing zealot..

Charlie

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012