• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reveille

Reaction score
Mike you mentioned that the Driggs would be made in the Gayley and Lord Coffee fabric. Do you know when these would be released?

Thanks!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to take the plunge into a pair of Rivet chinos soon (the duck canvas in moss has been calling my name) and I am hoping for some sizing advice. I am usually a 32 or 33 in most pants but it seems most if not all are probably vanity sized a bit. Looks like Epaulet does not go this route which leads me to think I better size up one or two.

How is the best way to go about sizing these? Measure a well fitting pair of pants I currently own or measure myself?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to take the plunge into a pair of Rivet chinos soon (the duck canvas in moss has been calling my name) and I am hoping for some sizing advice. I am usually a 32 or 33 in most pants but it seems most if not all are probably vanity sized a bit. Looks like Epaulet does not go this route which leads me to think I better size up one or two.

How is the best way to go about sizing these? Measure a well fitting pair of pants I currently own or measure myself?
welcome to the dark side!!

Yes, I would suggest measuring a good fitting pair of pants. The Rivets have a lower rise so make sure to take that into account as well. All pairs can be taken in or let out up to 1.5" in the waist and seat so you have some room for play. Given that Epaulet offers free returns for 14 days if you are on the fence then I would suggest order your best guess sized and the size up.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome to the dark side!!

Yes, I would suggest measuring a good fitting pair of pants. The Rivets have a lower rise so make sure to take that into account as well. All pairs can be taken in or let out up to 1.5" in the waist and seat so you have some room for play. Given that Epaulet offers free returns for 14 days if you are on the fence then I would suggest order your best guess sized and the size up.

Haha thanks Ryden, I will measure out a few pairs of pants and give it a shot. Ordering two pairs won't work out too well as I doubt the free returns applies to Canada so sending the pair I don't want will run me around $20 for return shipping.

Of the measurements on the site I am thinking a 33" would be best for the thigh and leg measurements but might need to be let out a hair. That might be my best bet but I will double check before doing anything.

neutrino

Reaction score
Kind of a military look today. Everything here was grabbed during the recent SM event.
EPLA tee, camo ripstop RCs, grey EPLA sneakers, olive Doyle.
A couple of notes. The sneakers are EU 41.5 (which translates to a US 9) while I'm generally 9.5 TTS. Was surprised to find out I needed to size down in these for a proper fit.
Also, the ripstop is cool and I love the Doyle. Like many guys on here I've been pretty much living in it.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha thanks Ryden, I will measure out a few pairs of pants and give it a shot. Ordering two pairs won't work out too well as I doubt the free returns applies to Canada so sending the pair I don't want will run me around $20 for return shipping.

If that were the case (and I can't say whether it is, as I live in the US), I would argue it is a worthwhile cost -- the peace of mind I would get from having tried on both sizes is great. I did this with both the Walts and Rivets and have got my size dialed in.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Kind of a military look today. Everything here was grabbed during the recent SM event.
EPLA tee, camo ripstop RCs, grey EPLA sneakers, olive Doyle.
A couple of notes. The sneakers are EU 41.5 (which translates to a US 9) while I'm generally 9.5 TTS. Was surprised to find out I needed to size down in these for a proper fit.
Also, the ripstop is cool and I love the Doyle. Like many guys on here I've been pretty much living in it.
How did you size the Doyle?

Last edited:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Another Canadian looking to make my first order from Epaulet. Wondering if anyone knows when I could expect a restock in the 10oz Caramel and navy ducks, in size 36.

Are the 10oz duck canvas rivets a good chino for year round use? I am assuming they won't be great for hot days, but am I right to assume that they would be fine for most days? The caramel looks like the perfect color, and I might also get the navy ones, as I love navy chinos.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike you mentioned that the Driggs would be made in the Gayley and Lord Coffee fabric. Do you know when these would be released? Thanks!
The fabric will arrive there in about a week. With that, we'll be ready to start taking MTO orders for the Walt/Rudy/Driggs in the Galey & Lord Coffee, Navy, and Pale Khaki fabrics. In terms of a coffee OTR Driggs, we're probably around 6 weeks out on that. So, around the same time frame if you get it custom or stock. Probably a little faster with MTO.
Hi guys, I am looking to take the plunge into a pair of Rivet chinos soon (the duck canvas in moss has been calling my name) and I am hoping for some sizing advice. I am usually a 32 or 33 in most pants but it seems most if not all are probably vanity sized a bit. Looks like Epaulet does not go this route which leads me to think I better size up one or two. How is the best way to go about sizing these? Measure a well fitting pair of pants I currently own or measure myself?
Compared to many larger brands, our pants and jeans run a bit smaller, so sizing up by 1 is pretty common. We'll be happy to advise you personally if you want to shoot us an email. It's contact[at]epauletnewyork.com The best indications will be: 1) Measure the waistband of a pant that you like 2) Measure the front and rear rise, and maybe the thigh if you're concerned about it 3) Email us a photo of yourself. You don't have to be wearing the pant in question, it's more so that we can see your overall build. With this, we can generally nail your size right out of the gate.
Kind of a military look today. Everything here was grabbed during the recent SM event. EPLA tee, camo ripstop RCs, grey EPLA sneakers, olive Doyle. A couple of notes. The sneakers are EU 41.5 (which translates to a US 9) while I'm generally 9.5 TTS. Was surprised to find out I needed to size down in these for a proper fit. Also, the ripstop is cool and I love the Doyle. Like many guys on here I've been pretty much living in it.
Very cool! Hope that San Francisco is treating you well!
Another Canadian looking to make my first order from Epaulet. Wondering if anyone knows when I could expect a restock in the 10oz Caramel and navy ducks, in size 36. Are the 10oz duck canvas rivets a good chino for year round use? I am assuming they won't be great for hot days, but am I right to assume that they would be fine for most days? The caramel looks like the perfect color, and I might also get the navy ones, as I love navy chinos.
We should have a restock of both of those within a month or so. I've been on a Galey & Lord production tear while we're waiting for more duck canvas fabric to arrive. And yes, duck canvas is great for warm weather. When you're talking about breathability and comfort, you have to consider both weight and weave. Tightly woven fabrics in light weights can often be warmer than thicker fabrics with open weaves. OCBD's are a great example. Your typical oxford cloth is thick for a shirting cloth, but guys find it comfortable to wear on hot days because it lets air through. A really fine dress shirt in a lightweight fabric with a high thread count can be stifling through. Jeans are the same way. A 12oz jean is considered light and summer-weight, and that's heavier than duck canvas in real terms.

neutrino

Reaction score
How did you size the Doyle?

Went for a 40. I think Mike agreed that I'm probably a 39R in the sportcoats. And I wear shirts in a Medium. I tried on a 38 but it was a bit restrictive in the shoulders, so I sized up. I liked how a 38 fit around the waist better though. I wonder if it's possible (and worth it) to take it in just a smidge.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
We should have a restock of both of those within a month or so. I've been on a Galey & Lord production tear while we're waiting for more duck canvas fabric to arrive.

And yes, duck canvas is great for warm weather. When you're talking about breathability and comfort, you have to consider both weight and weave. Tightly woven fabrics in light weights can often be warmer than thicker fabrics with open weaves. OCBD's are a great example. Your typical oxford cloth is thick for a shirting cloth, but guys find it comfortable to wear on hot days because it lets air through. A really fine dress shirt in a lightweight fabric with a high thread count can be stifling through. Jeans are the same way. A 12oz jean is considered light and summer-weight, and that's heavier than duck canvas in real terms.

Thank you for letting me know about the restock (no real rush for me) , and thank you for also commenting on the fabric itself. Looking forward to getting some rivets. Size 36 actually seems like it will fit perfectly with no alternations. I've been looking to upgrade my pants for a while now.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compared to many larger brands, our pants and jeans run a bit smaller, so sizing up by 1 is pretty common. We'll be happy to advise you personally if you want to shoot us an email. It's contact[at]epauletnewyork.com The best indications will be:

1) Measure the waistband of a pant that you like
2) Measure the front and rear rise, and maybe the thigh if you're concerned about it
3) Email us a photo of yourself. You don't have to be wearing the pant in question, it's more so that we can see your overall build.

With this, we can generally nail your size right out of the gate.

This is awesome! I will hit you guys up. Thanks

stmaier

Reaction score

The fabric will arrive there in about a week. With that, we'll be ready to start taking MTO orders for the Walt/Rudy/Driggs in the Galey & Lord Coffee, Navy, and Pale Khaki fabrics.

Please, please, please send some of the Midnight Oil over...

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious the difference in color and fabric feel between the navy duck canvas and the navy 8 oz cotton canvas...

Also, why hadn't I seen the Rivet chinos before? I just dropped a ton of money of some nice canvas pants, but they're slightly more casual. May pick up a caramel and a navy from Epaulet. I also like the plum.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious the difference in color and fabric feel between the navy duck canvas and the navy 8 oz cotton canvas...

Also, why hadn't I seen the Rivet chinos before? I just dropped a ton of money of some nice canvas pants, but they're slightly more casual. May pick up a caramel and a navy from Epaulet. I also like the plum.

The 10 oz duck canvas have a rougher texture, while the 8 oz canvas are much more smooth. The duck canvas start out pretty stiff, but they soften up wonderfully with wear and like Mike said, they have a nice open weave that helps keep you relatively cool even in hot weather. For my money, it doesn't get any better than the 10 oz duck canvas for a casual pant.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rufirew