• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having owned and used somewhere in the ballpark of 30 pairs of Enzos, I have only had issues with leather on maybe 2 or 3 pairs.

That being said, certain XYZ northampton RTW makers, at certain exorbitant price points, while using marginally better leather, certainly don't employ significantly better finishing, lasting, or construction techniques to warrant such a large price differential. At that price point, there are certainly many makers who can do much much better. The value proposition of XYZ makers are pretty dismal, to extremely mediocre at best.

Last edited:

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited for my shell boots, made in homage to a certain XYZ makers boot, with handwelted construction for more than a grand less than the equivalent boot by said maker. Im looking forward to some more Enzo purchases in the future since the value is definitely there.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited for my shell boots, made in homage to a certain XYZ makers boot, with handwelted construction for more than a grand less than the equivalent boot by said maker. Im looking forward to some more Enzo purchases in the future since the value is definitely there.

What color(s), last, sole? Etc.

WilYa

Reaction score
Having owned and used somewhere in the ballpark of 30 pairs of Enzos, I have only had issues with leather on maybe 2 or 3 pairs.

That being said, certain XYZ northampton RTW makers, at certain exorbitant price points, while using marginally better leather, certainly don't employ significantly better finishing, lasting, or construction techniques to warrant such a large price differential. At that price point, there are certainly many makers who can do much much better. The value proposition of XYZ makers are pretty dismal, to extremely mediocre at best.

Can't agree more! That's why we often see shoes from these makers discounted at 50% or more.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color(s), last, sole? Etc.

Balway style boot with bourbon grain shell shaft, bourbon shell upper, 74945 last, 270 flat handwelt with natural finish, 4+4 antique brass eyelets/hooks, dk brown rubber sole (Danite style), purple lining.

I was actually inspired by your Valways, peppercorn. I love a sleek cap toe boot (hole in my current collection) and it didn't look like another run of whiskey harlech was happening anytime soon.

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
Balway style boot with bourbon grain shell shaft, bourbon shell upper, 74945 last, 270 flat handwelt with natural finish, 4+4 antique brass eyelets/hooks, dk brown rubber sole (Danite style), purple lining.

I was actually inspired by your Valways, peppercorn. I love a sleek cap toe boot (hole in my current collection) and it didn't look like another run of whiskey harlech was happening anytime soon.

That will be an absolutely killer makeup. Are you looking at an MTO or will you consider trying to get 4 first?

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That will be an absolutely killer makeup. Are you looking at an MTO or will you consider trying to get 4 first?

Thanks! I am extremely excited for them. I had given consideration to a group order but I was really drawn to the idea of a one-off boot for myself. I decided the extra surcharge was worth having a unique boot and I finalized the order with Lorenzo last week and now its just :lurk:

Im itching for something with norvegese stitching and will likely seek a group for that one. By the way, the shark/shell jumpers look amazing :slayer:

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry for being ignorant but "XYZ" in given context is short for?

Enzo Bonafé Etrusco Oxford on last 804

EB.jpg

EB I.jpg

B II.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In context of current discussion we may substitute "Edward Green."

I'll just add (in context) that I have come to really appreciate a Northampton brand I'll refer to as "JLP." I enjoy their styling, leather, detail and finishing perfection, and most of all the way they fit my very problematic feet. The caveat, however, is that I have paid 40-60% US retail for all of my pairs. I don't think I would ever pay over a grand for RTW footwear, even at that level of quality.

Makers like Vass, Bonafe, and Meccariello (haven't tried yet) offer better value, IMO. The level of hand craftsmanship for what you pay is outstanding.

I do wish Bonafe didn't take quite so long to turn around an MTO, though. Vass takes 6 weeks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good man. Those are gonna be awesome.

Truth be told, I've thought about flipping those boots. The fit around the shaft and instep is too loose for me. Wearing knit socks helps.

I would replace them with a similar Ballway to what you're describing. If I did it.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several pairs of Enzo's here, all in shell cordovan with no complaints. And I own some of that other expensive stuff too.

Enzo B. is still the best cost to value ratio available...IMO of course...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several pairs of Enzo's here, all in shell cordovan with no complaints. And I own some of that other expensive stuff too.

Enzo B. is still the best cost to value ratio available...IMO of course...

Not to mention they are one of the few makers (with Carmina and AE) who will make a balmoral boot in shell cordovan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads