• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineering study hall rant.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I'm here for a couple hours to do some logic design homework.

I only switched into engineering from business a year ago, just because the prospects looked much better for a computer science graduate than in economics.

When I studied at the business college, people were well-dressed, well-groomed, well-spoken, in shape, always had something interesting to say of themselves. There were people of all ages. Pretty normal.

Here in the engineering study hall, I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of god damn circus freaks. Seriously, I probably have the most engaging life out of the 30 people in here right now. The table next to me is obnoxious, pitiful, and disgusting. One of them is red-faced and sweating profusely (but does not apparently look like he's been exercising at all) while I'm wearing a hoodie. His friend has three chins, and their third guest at the table is shouting about his favorite professor with quite possibly the most annoying voice I've ever had to bear in my life. I've thought more than once in the last 15 minutes to tell him to shut the hell up, but I don't want to start trouble. Now they're talking about world of warcraft.
In front of me there's a table of two obese Arabs wearing the most ridiculous glasses I've ever seen in my life.
Off to the side is some guy who looks like that kid from Youth in Revolt talking about physics with who I'm pretty sure is a pedophile. One of them is wearing those stupid glasses that change from shades to normal glasses indoors, but they don't really work, so instead he just looks stupid as ****.
Everyone here is wearing just complete crap. I thought I was underdressed this morning throwing on a T-shirt and jeans, but everyone here still manages to look like typical plebes.

Is this what my environment is going to be like when I start working after college?
frown.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes..

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What OP describes is one of MANY reasons I switched out of Engineering after 2 years at a very prestigious Engineering school...

Socially inept and frankly creepy classmates, professors who have no clue how to teach nor do they care to, TA's who cannot speak a word of english...the list goes on and on.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes^

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
useless%20without%20pics.jpg

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
You're in comp-sci, which is probably one of the nerdiest geekiest majors out there, and you expect people to be Brad Pitt?

You're sitting here ranting about them, but they're probably on their usenet telling their friends about a douchebaggy nuthugging jeans type who thinks they're the ****, read you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
You're in comp-sci, which is probably one of the nerdiest geekiest majors out there, and you expect people to be Brad Pitt?

You're sitting here ranting about them, but they're probably on their usenet telling their friends about a douchebaggy nuthugging jeans type who thinks they're the ****, read you.

+1

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try doing some burpees.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I'm looking for hollow muscles. Will cross-fit help with this? Or should I go for SS? Tabatas?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
I'm looking for hollow muscles. Will cross-fit help with this? Or should I go for SS? Tabatas?

WTF???

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I assumed that sonick was riffing on the awesome burpees thread in H&B so I decided to play along.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
What the OP is describing I see a little bit in computer science (and computer engineering) majors, but engineering overall is a lot more diverse where I'm at.

I also did an engineering internship last year at a large utility (in their nuclear division), and I noticed that 95% of the engineers at the larger company looked on the whole very dumpy around the office. Many of them were also awkward socially.

But while I was there I just felt glad that if I ever did end up working somewhere like that (I don't plan on it), at least I would be one of the few relatively well kept up and well adjusted engineers of the bunch. Traits that make a person a hell of a lot more likely to be promoted.

I did not and do not sit around groaning about how all of my students or co-workers look like a bunch of schleps compared to me. Why are you openly hostile to these people?

Seems pretty ******* douchy to me.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Well funnily enough the WoW kids were there doing the same HW. One of them came up to me asking for help when he saw me working on a multiplexer so I helped him out. His breath reeked, but I didn't say anything and just showed him how to work it out.

Douchey or not, I'm allowed to hold personal opinions. As soon as someone walks by you've developed an opinion of them... and there's a lot of those on the engineering campus lol.

But like someone else here said, maybe it'll prove to my advantage to be better mannered than the usual plebes at engineering jobs.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You sir are a douchebag!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads