• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green -- Snug Fit

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
there's a fine line between snug and uncomfortably tight that won't get better with time. It's just hard to tell what side of the line you are on until you wear the shoes several times. obviously, only problem with that is you can't return the shoes or will have to sell it for a loss on B&S. I've had to do this a number of times.

You live,you learn.At least you will know your size next time you purchase EGs.I've had to do this as well.

Taxler

Reaction score
I'd describe EG as snug in the sense that they don't have as much height in the toe box as most others.

billiebob

Reaction score
The OP's situation is exactly the same as mine.

I have EGs in 10.5/11E 202 and in 11/11.5 E 202. Two pairs in the smaller size and two pairs in the bigger. After 10 wearings, the smaller size is PERFECT and the larger is a bit too long, but only on 1 foot. So I am a 10.75 EG dude.

I would get the 10.5 again, not the 11.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the tighter shoes are, the more support they supply. Of course tight should not be uncomfortable. If there is no pain, you have much to gain with respect to EG sizing. I take this seriously, so I order my EGs in 6.5 UK in C width on the 82 last.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
EG's leather is excellent but also pretty unforgiving on your feet. I find anything that's slightly uncomfortable in the shop will end up being quite painful later on. There is some give, but I don't find it reliable. These days, I prefer to trust the Brannock device.

jojo1

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your responses to this post. I'm always amazed by the generosity of folks online to devote time and share insights with one another. Best for the New Year.

jjl5000

Reaction score
I prefer my shoes to fit right out of the box. If they don't, then they are the wrong size or the last is not suitable for me.

I don't want my feet to re-shape shoes until they fit. I want my shoes to retain their original elegant shape and simply accomodate my feet.

jojo1

Reaction score
OK, we're making good progress. After a couple days of wear, the right boot fits absolutely perfectly. The left -- almost -- the only issue is that the toe box remains snug, in the sense that the toes are a bit cramped so that my big toe feels like it overlaps slightly (or perhaps just pushes against) the one to its left. So, is that something that I should expect will should cure itself over time -- and if so, how long?

Moss

Reaction score
My experience has been that pinched or cramped toes will not stretch the shoe over time. The region next to the ball of the foot usually does stretch with wear, but once you go above that area on your foot there is little force exerted on the shoe from walking. Think about the mechanics involved.

That being said, I like my EGs to be snug (not pinching) at first and allow them to loosen over time.

Hope the fit gets better for you.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, cramped toes are a deal breaker. I've had to let go of some awesome finds due to cramped toes.

What you can do is shove your shoe tree in that shoe when you store it tightly in order to try to stretch it a bit. You can also use some shoe stretch spray to try to loosen the leather in that area.

Lastly, you can have them professionally stretched.

jojo1

Reaction score
Thanks -- my hope (sense) is that the slighly cramped feeling in the toe area is a result of some tightnss around the ball of my foot, and as that loosens so will the sensation of the toes feeling a bit scrunched. It feels better today than it did when I got them a couple days ago. Perhaps wishful thinking . . .

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got burned by this -- "it's best to have them be tight at first" idea -- for EGs. Don't bite. If they're tight now and you can't wear them for more than 6 or 7 hours without pain, then just take them now to a good cobbler for mild stretching. You don't want them loose, of course, either. The heel shouldn't slip, or only measured in millimeters.

pkincy

Reaction score
I suppose I don't want a machine stretching my shoes when my feet can do it. And if my feet can't do it they are too tight.

I do subscribe to the EG needs to be bought a bit snug camp. However I wouldn't buy a shoe that had an obvious pressure point. I find the size of EG I buy to be a bit tight evenly over the shoe with no pressure point showing itself over the rest of the shoe's snugness.

On my first few EG purchases (deep discount from RLPL by way of GrapeVine Hill) I would wear the shoe around the house on carpet for 4-8 hours to see if they are going to work. With no obvious pressure points I would wear them inside on carpet for a couple of days at 2-4 hours a day. Than take them outside for part days wear until they started to get more comfortable. Now with my early EG purchases being well broken in they are extremely comfortable.

None of this is necessary any longer as I buy my shoes from Leather Soul, generally know my size and travel to Honolulu often enough that I can try each pair on prior to purchase. Interestingly enough Tom had a shoe in stock (Beaulieu) that I wanted to buy but the shoe just didn't work on my foot even though it was my size. so it is hard to substitute for actually trying on each shoe you buy.

It is also harder if you buy online at deep discount. There the carpet idea can work since it would cost you little if you had to resell the shoe.

Perry

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that EGs should have a snug fit. Shoes should fit right, not snug or lose unless personal preference dictates. All my EGs fits similar to other shoes I have. They do appear to be smaller externally due to the shorter and narrower last.

The Transporter

Reaction score
I tried on my first pair today at Saks and it was the black calf Canterbury in the 888 last in a 13E. Definitely a snug fit, moreso in the left shoe than the right but that could have been from having the right one on longer as they did seem to loosen up a bit after having them on for a while. I normally wear a 14D in Allen Edmonds so would that 13E be right? I think the inside said 12.5/13E so is that the British size? The sales guy was really helpful and said they do normally fit snug at first.

I also tried on a pair of Graysons from Church's and they were a 12F and really tight! Anyone know if those come bigger?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads