• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Edward Green -- Snug Fit

jojo1

Senior Member
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
I recently purchased some EG shoes online -- I know, a mistake. Anyway, I'm an 11D in most US shoes (though sometimes fit better in an 11.5). I have two EG's in the 202 last -- one a 10.5E, and the other an 11E (UK sizes). (Neither shoe has been "broken in," as I'm trying them on in my office.) The 10.5 is quite snug (not quite uncomfortable, but close); the 11E is quite comfortable, but bordering on too generous and I worry that as I wear them that will just get worse -- there's no heel slippage, but a lot of extra leather at the crease when I take a step.

I read a lot about EG's being designed to have a snug fit -- should I take that to mean that (a)they're supposed to feel pretty snug at first, and will get more comfortable with time, or that (b) that they're designed to feel snug, period, so grin and bear it.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by jojo1
I recently purchased some EG shoes online -- I know, a mistake. Anyway, I'm an 11D in most US shoes (though sometimes fit better in an 11.5). I have two EG's in the 202 last -- one a 10.5E, and the other an 11E (UK sizes). (Neither shoe has been "broken in," as I'm trying them on in my office.) The 10.5 is quite snug (not quite uncomfortable, but close); the 11E is quite comfortable, but bordering on too generous and I worry that as I wear them that will just get worse -- there's no heel slippage, but a lot of extra leather at the crease when I take a step.

I read a lot about EG's being designed to have a snug fit -- should I take that to mean that (a)they're supposed to feel pretty snug at first, and will get more comfortable with time, or that (b) that they're designed to feel snug, period, so grin and bear it.


I think it's because of the last,I am 11D as well and yet I found 10.5E on 202 last to be rather roomy.I had to get rid of two pairs on this last,I am wearing one right now and had to insert an insole to compensate for roominess.
 

jjjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
if you have narrow feet, last 202 is not for you!
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,345
Reaction score
11
My EGs on the 202 hurt me pretty badly at first (had early SF too many shoe feet issues), but now they are perfect. I'm wearing them right now. As for the larger size, it's all up to you because the shoe wont stretch much if it isn't snug to begin with as long as you put the trees in gently.
 

jojo1

Senior Member
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Thanks for the replies. So, Bigbris -- they started out snug and then loosened up to become comfortable? That's my hope. (jjohn and forex -- at least for me, they certainly are not too wide right out of the box!)
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
472
my rule of thumb is that if you are conscious about the uncomfortability of the fit out of the box because the shoes feel too snug, they are probably too tight. Shoes may stretch out a little over time, but in my experience, not enough to "grin and bear" shoes that are very uncomfortable to begin with.

Any particular areas where you feel the snugness of the shoe?
 

puffdaddy

Active Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
I found myself in exactly the same position and kind of think I'm about a UK10.75 E on the 202.

My guess is you will probably be a better EG 11E on the 82 or 888.

What models do you have? I personally think there's a difference between some of the derby fits and the oxfords.

Are they both oxfords?
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
33
Can you just get an 82 instead?
 

jojo1

Senior Member
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Both derbies (derbys?) -- in lace up boots. The snug-ness is in the toe box area of one foot, where I can feel the shoe rubbing slightly against the top of one toe, and that toe area feels a bit cramped. Otherwise, the shoes/boots are not uncomfortable (yet?) -- they don't pinch, for instance -- but, I haven't worn them anywhere other than on a carpet. They generally feel like they are molded to my feet -- not squeezing -- but without a milimeter to spare. (The length generally is fine -- I have about a thumb distance from the top of my big toe to the end of the shoe. I guess I'm just not used to having shoes fit so snugly -- but I suspect over time they will stretch a bit and get quite comfortable. . . . or maybe not.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,345
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by jojo1
Thanks for the replies. So, Bigbris -- they started out snug and then loosened up to become comfortable? That's my hope. (jjohn and forex -- at least for me, they certainly are not too wide right out of the box!)
My feet were tenderized from overindulgence in too many varied shoes (sizes, cuts, widths etc.). I remember once having to stand for 2 hours straight in them & I thought my toes would fall off. Talk about trying to be cute. The shoes are my size, they just needed time to break in. I even wore them in a rainstorm to loosen them up. Used trees religiously & now they fit great. I do agree tho, that if you don't have feet issues & they are unbearable now, it wouldn't be worth it to have your feet tenderized in hopes of the shoe molding to your feet over time. After looking inside my shoe I actually have the s20 last or 520 as some have pointed out, which actually looks like the 82
 

Lawman

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
880
Reaction score
1
Just for my personal experience, I have one pair of EG, which when purchased, were definitely snug. Now that they are broken in, when I wear them I feel like I have nothing but socks on.
 

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
6,525
Reaction score
2,766
I don't buy into this snug fit theory at all. I have learned from experience that if shoes do not fit well when you try them on at first, they will never fit well.
 

AJL

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
2,357
Originally Posted by jojo1
Both derbies (derbys?) -- in lace up boots. The snug-ness is in the toe box area of one foot, where I can feel the shoe rubbing slightly against the top of one toe, and that toe area feels a bit cramped. Otherwise, the shoes/boots are not uncomfortable (yet?) -- they don't pinch, for instance -- but, I haven't worn them anywhere other than on a carpet. They generally feel like they are molded to my feet -- not squeezing -- but without a milimeter to spare. (The length generally is fine -- I have about a thumb distance from the top of my big toe to the end of the shoe. I guess I'm just not used to having shoes fit so snugly -- but I suspect over time they will stretch a bit and get quite comfortable. . . . or maybe not.

I was in your exact situation not long ago; a pair of Banbury boots on 202 last that were slightly tight in the toebox, more in one shoe than the other (our feet are generally asymmetrical). I received the same type of responses you are getting: too tight means size up vs. those who maintained the leather in EG shoes stretches more than most. I must concur with the latter group--after about 5 wearings the discomfort was gone, and they now fit me about as well as any RTW shoes I own. YRMV
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
472
there's a fine line between snug and uncomfortably tight that won't get better with time. It's just hard to tell what side of the line you are on until you wear the shoes several times. obviously, only problem with that is you can't return the shoes or will have to sell it for a loss on B&S. I've had to do this a number of times.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,040
Messages
9,227,483
Members
193,695
Latest member
mohammedyusri
Top