• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green recrafting on Permanent Style

Bellison

Reaction score
If you're buying high quality shoes like EG because you think you're saving money in the long run, you're a complete idiot.

If you correctly compare apples to apples, you will discover that buying high quality shoes is much more expensive than crappy shoes like KC.

If you want EG shoes to last 20 years, you will have to have at least 2 pairs because you have to rotate.
Therefore, two EGs will set you back $2,400.
If you only have 2 pairs, and you wear them 5-6 times a week, you will have to resole them about once every 4 years. That's 5 resoling for each shoe, which is 10 resoling for both shoes for 20 years of wear. Each resoling probably sets you back $400.
Therefore resoling will cost $4,000.

Plus, if you wear your shoes 5-6 times a week you should really treat your EG shoes well with Saphir renovateur, creme and wax which will easily set you back at least $50/year. For 20 years, that's $1,000.

Therefore the total cost of having 2 high quality shoes from EG to last 20 years is

$2,400 (Shoes) + $4,000 (resoling) + $1,000 (high quality Saphir products) = $7,400. Which works out to be $370/year for shoe ownership.

KCs retail for $170/pair. And if you buy 2 pairs that's $340.

If you wear them 5-6 times a week they will last you 3-4 years despite what some forum members profess. But assuming that they only last you 3 years, that means you will have to purchase shoes 6.66 times to last 20 years. That's 13.33 pairs of shoes. 13.33 * $170 = $2,267.

KCs don't require Saphir. If you do polish them, ordinary Kwiw will do which probably only sets you back $300 for 20 years. And KCs don't require resoling--you just throw them out when they're busted.

Therefore the total cost of KC ownership is $2,267 (13.33 pairs of shoes) + $300 (Kiwi products) + $0 (resoling) = $2567. Which works out to be $128.35/year. Therefore owning EGs is almost 3 times as much as owning crappy KCs.

Most people who purchase EGs are not deluded enough to think EGs will save them money. They buy EGs for the aesthetics, the old world craftsmanship and most importantly a piece of the heritage and dream of England/Europe. For luxury products crude economics should not be a factor.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Seriously. I can't see Kenneth Cole shoes lasting 25 years. EG's $1,100 divided by 25 = $220 per year.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
If you're buying high quality shoes like EG because you think you're saving money in the long run, you're a complete idiot.

If you correctly compare apples to apples, you will discover that buying high quality shoes is much more expensive than crappy shoes like KC.

If you want EG shoes to last 20 years, you will have to have at least 2 pairs because you have to rotate.
Therefore, two EGs will set you back $2,400.
If you only have 2 pairs, and you wear them 5-6 times a week, you will have to resole them about once every 4 years. That's 5 resoling for each shoe, which is 10 resoling for both shoes for 20 years of wear. Each resoling probably sets you back $400.
Therefore resoling will cost $4,000.

Plus, if you wear your shoes 5-6 times a week you should really treat your EG shoes well with Saphir renovateur, creme and wax which will easily set you back at least $50/year. For 20 years, that's $1,000.

Therefore the total cost of having 2 high quality shoes from EG to last 20 years is

$2,400 (Shoes) + $4,000 (resoling) + $1,000 (high quality Saphir products) = $7,400. Which works out to be $370/year for shoe ownership.

KCs retail for $170/pair. And if you buy 2 pairs that's $340.

If you wear them 5-6 times a week they will last you 3-4 years despite what some forum members profess. But assuming that they only last you 3 years, that means you will have to purchase shoes 6.66 times to last 20 years. That's 13.33 pairs of shoes. 13.33 * $170 = $2,267.

KCs don't require Saphir. If you do polish them, ordinary Kwiw will do which probably only sets you back $300 for 20 years. And KCs don't require resoling--you just throw them out when they're busted.

Therefore the total cost of KC ownership is $2,267 (13.33 pairs of shoes) + $300 (Kiwi products) + $0 (resoling) = $2567. Which works out to be $128.35/year. Therefore owning EGs is almost 3 times as much as owning crappy KCs.

Most people who purchase EGs are not deluded enough to think EGs will save them money. They buy EGs for the aesthetics, the old world craftsmanship and most importantly a piece of the heritage and dream of England/Europe. For luxury products crude economics should not be a factor.

This is one of the BEST posts to have come along in quite a while.

This forum is so choke full of myths and assumptions that just get perpetuated that nobody, UNTIL now, bothers to actually look at data.

Can't argue with math.
lol8[1].gif

StarterStyle

Reaction score
But the man wearing the EGs will look better in a job interview and get that $100,000 job that the KC man didn't get because he wore crappy shoes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I can't imagine anybody wearing a pair of EG 5-6 times a week.

That goes against the oft-repeated rule to rest shoes for at least 24 hours.

And also, people that have EG have more than one or two pairs.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
And I can't imagine anybody wearing a pair of EG 5-6 times a week.

That goes against the oft-repeated rule to rest shoes for at least 24 hours.

And also, people that have EG have more than one or two pairs.

Word. Best way to keep EGs looking great for 25 years is to not wear them at all.
laugh.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
If you only have 2 pairs, and you wear them 5-6 times a week,

I don't disagree with your point, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is correct. If you have two pair of shoes, and you wear them only to work, then you'd wear each pair 2 or 3 times a week. If you wear them every day, then it's still only 3 to 4 wear a week.

Maybe I'm just strange, one dress shoe per day for me!

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I don't disagree with your point, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is correct. If you have two pair of shoes, and you wear them only to work, then you'd wear each pair 2 or 3 times a week. If you wear them every day, then it's still only 3 to 4 wear a week. Maybe I'm just strange, one dress shoe per day for me!
I think you are kind of strange. I think most people wear two.
smile.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I wrote that wrong. Stupid work getting in the way of posting!

If you did only wear one EG at a time, then they'd definitely be a better value than the mall brands!

Think EG would split up a set? Then you'd get maximum wear and versatility out of your collection.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Would any of you resole an EG here in the states or send them back to the UK. given shipping costs these days i rather do it locally, but only with a reputable referral. thanks

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Would any of you resole an EG here in the states or send them back to the UK. given shipping costs these days i rather do it locally, but only with a reputable referral. thanks

To this end (kind of), is it EG which has the policy of not recrafting their shoes if another cobbler has already done so? I remember one of the makers refused to resole/recraft if any third-party work had been done on the shoe.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
To this end (kind of), is it EG which has the policy of not recrafting their shoes if another cobbler has already done so? I remember one of the makers refused to resole/recraft if any third-party work had been done on the shoe.

They do have such a policy but I had them resole a pair that had been previously soled by a third party and they were happy to do it.

I believe the policy exists so they do not have to fix someone's work if the shoe was damaged in the process.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sent them a pair last month. Bought them used to gauge/confirm sizing. Uppers were in great condition and tbh, soles had plenty of wear left. Still, I decided to send them for a recraft right away (to EG) mostly because I wanted a HAF sole put on them. I did think twice about it, considering it cost $75 to ship them to the UK. Luckily, the exchange rate is favourable...

Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett

Originally Posted by Will
They do have such a policy but I had them resole a pair that had been previously soled by a third party and they were happy to do it.

I believe the policy exists so they do not have to fix someone's work if the shoe was damaged in the process.

Makes sense. I think other makers have a similar policy, not just EG.

kbuzz

Reaction score
West: thanks for the reply. Can you confirm then that its EG policy not to work on shoes previously altered?

Also how much did it cost for the resole? Can one just pack em up and send to the factory or do you need to request authorization or similar.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West: thanks for the reply. Can you confirm then that its EG policy not to work on shoes previously altered?

Also how much did it cost for the resole? Can one just pack em up and send to the factory or do you need to request authorization or similar.

I read/heard about that policy with regards to EG somewhere on the interwebz, not from EG themselves. I do recall seeing that explicitely written on another maker's website, but I don't recall which one, sorry... I was quoted 165£ (VAT-free) + 30£ return shipping to N.A.

I don't think you need an authorization or r.a. #, but I did contact them first to make sure I had the correct cost and shipping address, etc.

'The factory address is: Edward Green and Co., Cliftonville Road, Northampton NN1 5BU, UK. Tel: + 44 1604 626 880. Please send them with a covering letter explaining what you would like done, as well as your payment details, and please also clearly label the parcel as containing 'shoes for repair, no commercial value' to avoid duty charges. The repair will take approximately 8 weeks.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics